Thoughts on the PPT sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What are your thoughts on the PPT sprint?

I already have a PPT, and WILL BUY this sprint
15%
I missed out/sold the previous PPT, and I WILL BUY this sprint
40%
I already have a PPT, and don't care for this sprint so I WON'T BUY
17%
I don't have a PPT, and WON'T BUY this sprint either
28%

Total votes: 75

On Edge

Re: Thoughts on the PPT sprint

Post by On Edge »

I too would like to see some bigger changes. I have a PPT - had it for a while in my EDC rotation and while I have more "elegant" blades, something about it just keeps it with me ...

It would be cool to see it in a super steel and/or a considerable cosmetic upgrade. But I do like the "partial" scales on the lock side - always been one of my favorite things about it - not a big fan of the single scale and plain titanium drill - even though some fine knives are made that way ...

~ edge
Last edited by On Edge on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

this will definatly be one that i will buy. i missed out on the other ppt and dont want to pay the price that they are going for. i am really excited about this one. hopefully it will be out in the beginning of the year while i have some money lol.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have an original PPT that I like a lot, but I probably won't get this sprint. I didn't vote in the poll because it's not that I don't care for it, this sprint is just very similar to the original. Though if the sprint had orange scales and a different steel, I'd definitely be more tempted.
:bug-red-white
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I can certainly understand gbelleh. It'll be my first PPT. Hope they come soon :)
paladin

Post by paladin »

Donut wrote:I have two PPT's from the first run. I like the finish options of the original.
I have 2 originals also...ditto on Donut's points on the original finish scheme also...

But a Sprint PPT with DLC is not my cup of tea...

"A man's gotta know his limits" - Dirty Harry Callahan :rolleyes: :cool:
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I missed the first one and regret it. I will definitely pick one up. Any idea on release date for this model?
remnar

Post by remnar »

I could do without the black coating on the blade, but I will most likely purchase one.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I'm not a huge fan of blade coatings, so I'll probably pass on this one and hold out for a different steel / color combo. Love the handle texture, though.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

I own the original and probably wont be buying this sprint. But who knows :D
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I missed the original....And I've missed 2 second hand ones when they came up in the last few years.

This one will not slip through my net....
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I would certainly be in favor of a more special version of the PPT, but since I missed the original I'll be happy with any PPT.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about blade coatings, but what can I expect with TiCN compared to standard DLC coating? I suppose it wouldn't be quite as tough, but from what I can tell it should hold up much better than black Teflon or cerakote.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Able Dog wrote:I would certainly be in favor of a more special version of the PPT, but since I missed the original I'll be happy with any PPT.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about blade coatings, but what can I expect with TiCN compared to standard DLC coating? I suppose it wouldn't be quite as tough, but from what I can tell it should hold up much better than black Teflon or cerakote.
TICN- 2-3μm Thick, 2500HV typically, Resistant to 600℃, Friction coeffecient of 0.3
DLC- 0.5-1.5μm thick, 2000HV normally, Resistant to 300℃, Friction coeffecient of 0.1
Both are essentially ceramic coatings, applied thermally via PVD, in a vacuum furnace.....In practical terms, on a knife blade, there's not much to chose between them apart from bragging rights.

Teflon coatings and Cerakote are much softer than either of these and much less hard wearing- being sprayed on polymer coatings.

Hope that helps ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks, all, for the responses and discussion. I agree with most of you, any PPT is a good PPT, but I def prefer my original to this one. It seems that most of the interest is coming from those who missed out the first time. However, this whole thing has inspired me to carry the good ol PPT more this week, so it's had a positive outcome.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I missed out on the original, and I want a PPT, so I'll be getting this one. I would have much rather seen a steel upgrade than the DLC coating, but a DLC user will be something "different" in my collection, so that's good I guess.
Any chance you can post some in hand pics?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Sure, when it comes out. Like I said, I don't have an original PPT, and this sprint may not be out for months... :confused:

ETA: ok, I figured you probably misquoted my post. ;) :)
Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Sure, when it comes out. Like I said, I don't have an original PPT, and this sprint may not be out for months... :confused:
Whoops, sorry about that. Meant for someone else.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

tvenuto wrote:Thanks, all, for the responses and discussion. I agree with most of you, any PPT is a good PPT, but I def prefer my original to this one. It seems that most of the interest is coming from those who missed out the first time. However, this whole thing has inspired me to carry the good ol PPT more this week, so it's had a positive outcome.

Lol, any chance of some in hand pics?
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

demoncase wrote: Hope that helps ;)
Cheers!
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Any PPT is a good PPT as far as I'm concerned, so bring on the sprint
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Not an in hand pic, but my aunt sent me some Omaha steaks for Christmas, and the PPT made quick work of those boxes. (I promise that the rye and sharpmaker in the background were not staged, to the chagrin of my wife who has been doing her best to wrap gifts on our kitchen table.)