Help Me ID This Classic Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ncrockclimb

Help Me ID This Classic Spyderco

Post by ncrockclimb »

Back in '94 or '95, my father gave me this knife as a b-day gift. I carried this knife in my fanny pack (remember when those were cool?) for three years while living in Japan and for for another year while backpacking in SE Asia. This knife has a ton of sentimental value and has been with me on many adventures. With that in mind, I am curious about which model this knife is. Any help that you super-knowledgable forum members could provide in identifying this classic Spyderco would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, although no as sharp as it once was (my SE sharpening skills are woefully lacking), it is still totally functional and locks up like a vault.
IMG_1976.jpg
IMG_1978.jpg
IMG_1979.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg
Invective

Re: Help Me ID This Classic Spyderco

Post by Invective »

Spyderco C26 Snap-It

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C26_Snap-It" target="_blank
ncrockclimb

Post by ncrockclimb »

WOW! That was amazing. Less than 10 min for a definitive answer. Thank you!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Have you ever had it clipped to your harness while you climb?

I thought about picking up one of the later versions of this knife to do just that, but I don't really see this scene playing out in the same way for me...

On the other hand, I really do think the Rescue 3 would be a great climber's friend, for cutting webbing and rope etc.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nice Snap-It. As for sharpness, if you don't mind being without it for a couple weeks, send it back to Spyderco with $5 for return postage and it will come back as sharp as new.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ncrockclimb

Post by ncrockclimb »

LOL! I was just talking with my Dr. about that movie scene. I have a nagging shoulder injury from climbing, and he was asking about how climbing systems actually work. I had to explain that Vertical Limit was 100% bs, to which he responded that most shows about Dr.'s were also bs. We both had a good laugh.

I almost never carry a knife while I am actually climbing. In 20 years of of doing sport and trad across the US and Mexico, I have yet to face a situation where I was required to cut something during a climb. That being said, I always have a knife (and usually a multi-tool) in my approach pack. I just replaced my BM Grip with a PM 2 as my preferred "pack" knife.
ncrockclimb

Post by ncrockclimb »

The Deacon wrote:Nice Snap-It. As for sharpness, if you don't mind being without it for a couple weeks, send it back to Spyderco with $5 for return postage and it will come back as sharp as new.
For some reason I thought that they didn't sharpen SE. If they do, then I might actually do that.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Great Find!! I think that Burgundy version you have is one that A.G. Russell sold for Spyderco. I'm pretty certain of it actually. Just curious?? Does it have an AUS-8 blade?? Because all 3 of mine did and so did my Clipit models.

The Clipit was a lot like the Snap it except it was operated on the bottom of the knife handle. I actually liked the Clipit a little better. I don't know if those models were available in PE or not. All the ones I had of both models were all Spyderedged. Those are truly a mountain climbers dream knife for sure.

I just love the old Spyders and many of them are my favorites Another Great Spyder from the "GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2003
ncrockclimb

Post by ncrockclimb »

It isn't AUS-8. It is G-2 Stainless. According to "the internet" (which is always right!), "G-2 steel is a mid-range steel used extensively by Spyderco in the early and mid-90`s in just about all their knives at the time."
Invective

Post by Invective »

JD Spydo wrote:I actually liked the Clipit a little better. I don't know if those models were available in PE or not. All the ones I had of both models were all Spyderedged. Those are truly a mountain climbers dream knife for sure.
Do you mean the Remote Release JD?

Also nrockclimb I've got a G2 one as well and it's a great steel. Especially in SE it takes a nice edge easily and is a great steel for use in the yard.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ncrockclimb wrote:It isn't AUS-8. It is G-2 Stainless. According to "the internet" (which is always right!), "G-2 steel is a mid-range steel used extensively by Spyderco in the early and mid-90`s in just about all their knives at the time."
G-2 steel from what I've been told is the same exact steel as GIN-1 with a different name just like 440V being S60V are the same.

yeah I got it confused the other model that operates on the bottom part of the handle is the Remote Release. I don't know how I got that confused because normally those old Spyders are tatooed on my brains :o

They did both of those models in G-2 early on I remember and why they started calling it G-2 is a mystery to me. But G-2, GIN-1 is great Spyderedged steel even though I think it's about average or slightly better in plain edge. But I never had either one of those models in PE >> all of mine where Spyderedged and I liked them. Why I traded them?? I can't answer other than I was changing things a lot during the mid 2000s. The Remote Release was truly my fav of the 2>> I believe it was in 09 that they brought it back in VG-10 for a short run.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

JD Spydo wrote:They did both of those models in G-2 early on I remember and why they started calling it G-2 is a mystery to me.
I believe that they were not allowed (by the steel manufacturer) to call Gingami 1 by its real name, so they came up with G2. Later, they were allowed to change it to Gin 1.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

ncrockclimb wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Nice Snap-It. As for sharpness, if you don't mind being without it for a couple weeks, send it back to Spyderco with $5 for return postage and it will come back as sharp as new.
For some reason I thought that they didn't sharpen SE. If they do, then I might actually do that.
They do. I sent in my fully serrated Delica 3 and it came back crazy sharp.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ncrockclimb wrote:.
For some reason I thought that they didn't sharpen SE. If they do, then I might actually do that.[/quote]

Spyderco will do a great sharpening job on either plain edge, combo edge or full Spyderedge. But you can easily learn to hone that bad boy yourself. Spyderco has a lot of good ceramic sharpening tools and it's easier to learn than you think.
ncrockclimb

Post by ncrockclimb »

JD Spydo wrote:
Spyderco will do a great sharpening job on either plain edge, combo edge or full Spyderedge. But you can easily learn to hone that bad boy yourself. Spyderco has a lot of good ceramic sharpening tools and it's easier to learn than you think.
I know that you are right, and that I can and should develop my SE sharpening skills. However, other that the Snap-It, all my other knives are PE and I am not very focused on SE sharpening right now. I am finding it challenging enough to hone my PE sharpening skills!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ncrockclimb wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
I know that you are right, and that I can and should develop my SE sharpening skills. However, other that the Snap-It, all my other knives are PE and I am not very focused on SE sharpening right now. I am finding it challenging enough to hone my PE sharpening skills!
Then by all means just go ahead and send it in to Spyderco and develop your skills later down the road when you get into Spyderedges more. Because one beautful advantage to Spyderedges is that they don't need anywhere near the attention that plain edges do. I usually only fine hone or touch up my Spyderedges after every 2 to 4 hours of usage. And I use some of my Spyderedges a lot. My current favorites at this time are 440V, H-1 and AUS-8 and I don't need to sharpen those steels much at all. That G-2 (GIN-1) is a great steel for serrated edges. Your Snap it folder should go at least 4 months of average usage before needing any significant attention.

But I do encourage you later when you got the time to dedicate to learn how to Sharpen Spyderedges because it will pay you a good dividend by knowing that skill. Good luck and keep us posted