Thoughts on the PPT sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What are your thoughts on the PPT sprint?

I already have a PPT, and WILL BUY this sprint
15%
I missed out/sold the previous PPT, and I WILL BUY this sprint
40%
I already have a PPT, and don't care for this sprint so I WON'T BUY
17%
I don't have a PPT, and WON'T BUY this sprint either
28%

Total votes: 75

tvenuto

Thoughts on the PPT sprint

Post by tvenuto »

I noticed that the PPT sprint was getting a lot of love over in the Catalogue "must haves" thread. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on it so I figured I'd start a poll.

I hate to be the negative nancy, but I guess I was just a little disappointed in this one. I've been requesting a PPT sprint for a while now and I WANT to want it, but I don't, at least in its currently advertised config: S30V, TiCN coated blade, black sculpted G10, stainless steel satin liners. Now the little blurb says "all black" and the title is "black blade" so I guess there's some question as to the status of the liners. The pic has satin liners, but I'm 90% sure that's a photoshop of the original pic (note the black colored spydie compared with the other black bladed models which have a light spydie). It's possible that the plan is actually all black, including liners. Now you might think I'm making a big fuss over the liners, but if you have this knife you know it's like 80% liner/spacer (see below, not my pic). If the liners are satin, the knife will look almost identical to the non-sprint when closed.

Now, I'm not trying to naysay or talk anyone out of liking this sprint. It's because I dig this design so much that I'm talking about it at all, and just wanted to hear what others had to say about it.

Last edited by tvenuto on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holland

Re: Thoughts on the PPT sprint

Post by Holland »

Personally really like the sprint, and thats coming from someone who generally doesn't like black blades and heavy knives. Theres just something about it thats intriguing. I understand your disappointment though, I can think of a lot better combinations for a sprint. Like an M4 blade satin finish with orange g10 :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm not sure it's a photoshopped image as it says production prototype pictured. I share your sentiment though, as I was disappointed to see the liners aren't black as well. I would prefer the whole knife be blacked out like my Southard.

I'll be picking up this sprint either way.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Holland wrote:Personally really like the sprint, and thats coming from someone who generally doesn't like black blades and heavy knives. Theres just something about it thats intriguing. I understand your disappointment though, I can think of a lot better combinations for a sprint. Like an M4 blade satin finish with orange g10 :D
OMG ORANGE G10! Absolutely. There's a few pics of customs with the orange floating around, totally into it.

It is funny though how our general tastes can get thrown out for a specific combo. For instance I'm drawn to the squeak sprint, even though I generally like textured handles, large blades, and locking folders.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I wish it was a different steel - not S30V or VG10, but otherwise it looks good to me and I plan to get one. I am indifferent to the black coating, although I prefer black deep carry clips over shiny metal attention-grabbing clips.
Steel choice - how about M4, 204, m390, etc? :D
I did not respond to your poll though - did not find a place in your wording ;)
I did not get the original, but that is NOT the reason I want one now. I just want one.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ok I changed the word "so" to "and" to remove the implication that it was merely to buy any PPT.
Holland

Post by Holland »

If I end up getting this knife, I think I might need white g10 handles. Love the Arctic look :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Holland wrote:If I end up getting this knife, I think I might need white g10 handles. Love the Arctic look :D
White handles and a black blade!! SWEEEETTT!!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

It is of course only a few minutes into this poll, as I obsessively refresh, but I do feel the need to point out that at the moment we have 0 "buy" votes from people who already have the PPT.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just saw the Sprint PPT in the catalog. Its bad azz! I love it. I especially like the idea that one member said, of White G10 handles....or Orange. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Too many others were on my radar when the production piece was available, now I am interested in picking up the sprint if it doesn't conflict with the release of another must have on my 2015 needs.

Spencer, coming from someone who owns a white g-10 handled knife, it isn't as glorious as it is in theory. I do like the "stormtrooper" idea with the blade blade though.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have two PPT's from the first run. I like the finish options of the original.

I might trade an original for a sprint, but I'm not going to spend a lot of effort towards it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Does anyone know how much the PPT will run?
Holland

Post by Holland »

MacLaren wrote:Does anyone know how much the PPT will run?
I'm guessing the price of the original plus $10
-Spencer

Rotation:
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

It is an amazing design and the handle is great. The thin blade cuts very well and the grind on mine is great.

If they were made with titanium instead of steel in the handle it would have been perfect. Sadly a custom like that from Sacha costs about $700..
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Is this worth picking up from a collectors standpoint? I wasn't collectiong knives when the first one came out.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

adancingmonkey wrote:Is this worth picking up from a collectors standpoint? I wasn't collectiong knives when the first one came out.
I think so. Not only a Sprint, but Taichung made :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

NoFair: +1000. The back-heavy balance and extra weight caused by the all steel construction is the only flaw on this great design. I have tried several alchemy experiments to turn the steel into titanium to no avail. My request for the PPT sprint was sculpted g10 on the presentation side, no g10 on the lock side, and all Ti internals. I understand that this would have bumped the cost waay up, but it was worth it to me on this design. I can understand, though, that it's a major change and might require different machining/tolerances etc outside the scope of a "sprint."

Monkey: Perhaps, you have an opportunity to own all PPTs, all perrin associated designs, etc. So I guess it depends on what "collecting" means to you.

Mac: The original PPT actually had the worst F&F from a Taichung model that I own. However, that's like saying [insert model] is the slowest Ferrari, for full disclosure my Sage 3, Ti Chap and Southard are all without visible flaw. The grind on mine is a bit off, visible in both the swedge and the plunge. But still great F&F all things considered: super solid lock-up, strong detent, and very smooth.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It definitely has my attention. I would have much preferred a steel sprint, but I'm also down for black as I've been begging for a DLC Yo 2 for years now.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I missed out on the original, and I want a PPT, so I'll be getting this one. I would have much rather seen a steel upgrade than the DLC coating, but a DLC user will be something "different" in my collection, so that's good I guess.