Spyderco Pacific Salt helps christen my new boat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Spyderco Pacific Salt helps christen my new boat

Post by Surfingringo »

With a little Mackerel blood.

Picked up my new 2015 Hobie kayak yesterday and had her out before the sun came up. Got this one right as it was getting light out. If you gill cut and bleed these sierra mackerel immediately they make excellent sashimi.
Donut

Re: Spyderco Pacific Salt helps christen my new boat

Post by Donut »

Holy mackerel. :)

Congrats on the fish and congrats on the new boat. Are those pedals what you use to row?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Donut wrote:Holy mackerel. :)

Congrats on the fish and congrats on the new boat. Are those pedals what you use to row?
Yeah Brian, that's Hobies "mirage drive". Really efficient and dependable systems. I've put thousands of miles on em. Just like riding a bike. :)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW Lance!! You are living the DREAM!! :D Kudos to ya!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lance.

Congrats on the new gear. and the catch. Mackerel Sushi, mmmm.

Do you ever use a paddle with the Hobie drive? Do you carry a paddle? We're looking at non motorized drive for the R2AK.

sal
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

That mackeral would be awesome shark bait! Lol. Hobie is the way to go for kayaks. Having to paddle a couple miles into the wind is not very fun. Peddling makes it so much easier. Makes me want another kayak! Lol
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:Hi Lance.

Congrats on the new gear. and the catch. Mackerel Sushi, mmmm.

Do you ever use a paddle with the Hobie drive? Do you carry a paddle? We're looking at non motorized drive for the R2AK.

sal
Hi Sal. Never use a paddle at all but I always have one ready for emergencies. You break a cable or have a drive failure three miles out you definitely want a solid "plan B".

Had never heard of the "race to Alaska" but just looked it up...looks awesome! Y'all gonna run one of your small sailboats?
sal

Post by sal »

We have a new 15 footer that really isn't the ideal boat (although that is still being argued and won't be decided until the first boat crosses the finish line). She should sail well (perfornace designer, carbon fiber construction, etc.), but we are musing the possibility and looking at propulsion methods.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:We have a new 15 footer that really isn't the ideal boat (although that is still being argued and won't be decided until the first boat crosses the finish line). She should sail well (perfornace designer, carbon fiber construction, etc.), but we are musing the possibility and looking at propulsion methods.

sal
What are the size restrictions on the boats? Something like hobies Adventure Island could be an intersting choice. Here's an article on the Everglades challenge I just looked up. http://outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=13400" target="_blank
Half the distance in warm water. I imagine a sit on top kayak would get old really quick for that kind of trip in those conditions (Alaska). :)

Fwiw, I would think that a good sail boat with a secondary mode of propulsion would be the winning combo. Give me a shout if u end up needing a peddler. Hehe
sal

Post by sal »

No restrictions other than no motor. But it could take 7 - 14 days (over 700 miles) with little in the way of repleshing provisions. Need to carry food and water for all for a long distance. Little wind is expected that time of year.

sal
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Surfinggringo:

Awesome! Always love your picks. That looks like the Mirage Outback? Is there a reaon you chose it over the Pro Angler model?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JohnAPA wrote:Surfinggringo:

Awesome! Always love your picks. That looks like the Mirage Outback? Is there a reaon you chose it over the Pro Angler model?
Hey John, yes, this is the outback. Small and light, easy to load in the back of my truck. It can be manhandled when necessary. I always make beach launches, sometimes there's huge swell and even in protected areas I'm launching in overhead surf. It is easier to deal with something like the outback when launching in heavy conditions...and less catastrophic when I inevitably get taken out from time to time. Haha. Plus it's cheaper! The fish don't seem to mind. :-).
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Surfingringo wrote:

Hey John, yes, this is the outback. Small and light, easy to load in the back of my truck. It can be manhandled when necessary. I always make beach launches, sometimes there's huge swell and even in protected areas I'm launching in overhead surf. It is easier to deal with something like the outback when launching in heavy conditions...and less catastrophic when I inevitably get taken out from time to time. Haha. Plus it's cheaper! The fish don't seem to mind. :-).
Sweet. I grew up on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan with Hobie sail boats. We fish off the beach in the Spring and Fall for brown trout and steehead. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to traverse 50 yards of very loose sand with one?

Also, do you primarily cast or troll? Can is it stable enough to stand up and cast?

Thanks!
Last edited by JohnAPA on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JohnAPA wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Sweet. I grew up on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan with Hobie sail boats. We fish off the beach in the Spring and Fall for brown trout and steehead. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to traverse 50 yards of very loose sand with one?

Also, do you primarily cast or troll?

Thanks!
You can easily drag it across 50 yards of loose sand, but they make a very functional plug in cart for it that stows on the top while u are on the water. U can even make a homemade one from pvc.

I cast and troll.
Spend more time trolling but when I find em I'll stop and cast. I've caught most of my biggest roosters and snappers casting big poppers.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hey, Lance! If you're going to continue torturing us with your pictures of paradise, I think it only fair that you tell us how you were able to make paradise your home. You know, to help us figure out what we did wrong...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

wrdwrght wrote:Hey, Lance! If you're going to continue torturing us with your pictures of paradise, I think it only fair that you tell us how you were able to make paradise your home. You know, to help us figure out what we did wrong...
Hmm...you want the truth or the glossy fairy tale version? ;)
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Looks like Hobie is coming out with an electric motor that drops into the mirage drive and will propel the yak for 8 hours at 2 mph.

https://youtu.be/241QmxFcbuc" target="_blank

After watching the video, I don't think one would even want an electric the Mirage works so efficiently.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

No comment on the boat, but the fish looks outstanding. :) Are serrations your first choice though for dressing a fish? I personally would struggle, preferring a PE blade with a bit more sweep to it. (such as the *gasp* catcherman or south fork)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

As always, your posts are such a pleasure, why do you choose a SE over a PE?
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome photo as per usual! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE