VG-10 Steel Blanks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

VG-10 Steel Blanks

Post by DutchBlades »

I was wondering if there is any way to get a hold of blanks of VG-10 or any similar material like ATS-55.
Maybe just a scrap piece that'll be big enough for 1 blade (Endura sized).

I've been on the lookout for a blank piece of steel since I started working on a prototype.
A prototype does exist, but it's a wooden one.
I'd love to make one out of good blade steel and work on the handles to make it into the final product.
(And hopefully be eligible for a second opinion :rolleyes: )
I need this knife real bad and I don't have the tools needed to just grind down a file and use that as a blank.

Can one buy something like this from Spyderco?
All I keep finding is Damascus blanks, pieces that are too small (meant for keys) and untempered
or just insanely overpriced ones... :(
The Deacon

Re: VG-10 Steel Blanks

Post by The Deacon »

Doubt Spyderco could help you with Japanese steels, if for no other reason than that all the VG-10 and ATS-55 models have been built in Japan, so there wouldn't be any reason to have blanks in Golden. Only way I can see blanks being available would be if there are Japanese equivalents to companies like Texas Knifemaker's Supply that sell them. They might be able to help you with one of the steels they're currently using on US made models, but not sure if that's a can of worms they'd want to open. An alternative, if you just want a quality steel, might be a blank in a European steel from a more local source. Heck you could even go for Damasteel, there has to be a source for that in Europe. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The Deacon wrote:Doubt Spyderco could help you with Japanese steels, if for no other reason than that all the VG-10 and ATS-55 models have been built in Japan, so there wouldn't be any reason to have blanks in Golden. Only way I can see blanks being available would be if there are Japanese equivalents to companies like Texas Knifemaker's Supply that sell them. They might be able to help you with one of the steels they're currently using on US made models, but not sure if that's a can of worms they'd want to open. An alternative, if you just want a quality steel, might be a blank in a European steel from a more local source. Heck you could even go for Damasteel, there has to be a source for that in Europe. :D
Damast steel is an option, I keep a close eye on any blanks popping up on eBay.
By this point 440c would do, but I just can't seem to find it...
And if I do, they're asking $100+ for a blank of medium to low quality steel.
And I would prefer a regular steel instead of folded, would look better on this particular model IMO.

VG-10 or anything out of Seki or Taichung will be unlikely indeed.
And I don't think they'll have somewhat large pieces of S30V scrap just laying around :p
Ah well, I'll keep my hope high for finding a blank on eBay for a decent price ;)
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Hi Dutch, are you looking for a "blank" shaped like a knife blade or just a bar of steel to shape yourself. If a bar take a look at Alpha Knife supplies. Chuck has a large variety of steels in small quanities, mostly bars. The Bohler-Uddeholm N690 grade is basically the same as VG10. Phil
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Phil Wilson wrote:Hi Dutch, are you looking for a "blank" shaped like a knife blade or just a bar of steel to shape yourself. If a bar take a look at Alpha Knife supplies. Chuck has a large variety of steels in small quanities, mostly bars. The Bohler-Uddeholm N690 grade is basically the same as VG10. Phil
I'll take a look right now ;)
Thanks!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If all else fails, Texas Knifemakers does have 440C and ATS-34 blanks for under $20. They do ship to Europe, although I have no idea of the cost. Something tells me though, with the number of custom and hobbyist knifemakers in Europe there must be sources there, if not for US and Japanese steels, at least for Sandvik, Bohler, and other European ones.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The Deacon wrote:If all else fails, Texas Knifemakers does have 440C and ATS-34 blanks for under $20. They do ship to Europe, although I have no idea of the cost. Something tells me though, with the number of custom and hobbyist knifemakers in Europe there must be sources there, if not for US and Japanese steels, at least for Sandvik, Bohler, and other European ones.
Alphaknifesupply has a minimum order amount and high-ish shipping, and Texas Knifemakers have a $43.75 shipping bill :eek:
I'll have to take another look if there's anything I perhaps missed in Europe...
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Ask a local knifemaker, what you are asking for is almost the size of scrap.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Ask a local knifemaker, what you are asking for is almost the size of scrap.
Yup... All I need is a 40x3x220 piece of steel (in mm's).
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

You can contact the German knifemaker Jürgen Schanz.
He has lots of steel blanks in stock, even laminated VG-10 in 3mm x 40mm, length as you like it centimeter wise.
http://www.schanz-shop.de/?go=artikel&ps=5&subid=6447
Less expensive is the 1.4528 which is equivalent to N690Co or VG-10, middle of the page:
http://www.schanz-shop.de/?go=artikel&ps=5&subid=20
A piece of this in 3x40x220 (mm) will cost you roughly 12 Euros plus delivery to the Netherlands.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

MarcusH wrote:You can contact the German knifemaker Jürgen Schanz.
He has lots of steel blanks in stock, even laminated VG-10 in 3mm x 40mm, length as you like it centimeter wise.
http://www.schanz-shop.de/?go=artikel&ps=5&subid=6447
Less expensive is the 1.4528 which is equivalent to N690Co or VG-10, middle of the page:
http://www.schanz-shop.de/?go=artikel&ps=5&subid=20
A piece of this in 3x40x220 (mm) will cost you roughly 12 Euros plus delivery to the Netherlands.
Nice! :D

Will be a hellish job, making a blade out of it with files and sanding paper alone...
But it'll be well worth it!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

Since you're in Europe, why not have a look at Brisa (http://www.brisa.fi" target="_blank) or Teräsrenki (http://www.terasrenki.com" target="_blank)? Both have both steel and blanks available and the costs are not that high.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Mallus wrote:Since you're in Europe, why not have a look at Brisa (http://www.brisa.fi" target="_blank) or Teräsrenki (http://www.terasrenki.com" target="_blank)? Both have both steel and blanks available and the costs are not that high.
Those are pretty nice aswell...
Don't know for sure where I'll buy steel,
and more importantly, how I'm gonna shape a blade out of it without the propper tools...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

154CM would do, right? I buy my blade steel from this guy:

http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/shop/pro ... ery-steel/" target="_blank

Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander is a good place to start. And find a place to heat treat it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I thought Bohler was a European company. Maybe a local source could get it to you for cheaper.

*edit* Nevermind, people got you some good info on those lines.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DutchBlades,

Glad you found some resources, thanx to the knowledgable visitors here.

As mentioned, it would really be out of sorts for us. "Scrap" is usually in the form of a laser web. Not enough to bluld a blade. We don't work with individual bars. That's custom knifemaker stuff. Also, any of our "blanks" would be specific models with holes, etc. wich complicates trademark issues.

sal
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

sal wrote:Hi DutchBlades,

Glad you found some resources, thanx to the knowledgable visitors here.

As mentioned, it would really be out of sorts for us. "Scrap" is usually in the form of a laser web. Not enough to bluld a blade. We don't work with individual bars. That's custom knifemaker stuff. Also, any of our "blanks" would be specific models with holes, etc. wich complicates trademark issues.

sal
Ah, that's too bad.
It could be expected for there not to be any significant scraps,
a business strives for material efficiency.
Thanks for looking into this though! :)

You know what the blade is (hopefully) going to look like.
A tad bit more redifined than the pictures I sent.
I was really hoping it might become a production model in the future,
everyone that saw it, loves it.
But it's ALLOT to ask and I understand that.
Especially with new prototypes and the daily business going on aswell.

Nevertheless, if I can whip one up and it comes out the way I want to, I'll try again :p
It won't be easy without any tools besides some files and sandpaper, but I'm gonna try!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Definitely go for it! It's a lot of work, but it's a really fun learning experience. I've been playing with some steel in my limited down time and one of the first things I learned is that I love power tools.:D
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

PayneTrain wrote:Definitely go for it! It's a lot of work, but it's a really fun learning experience. I've been playing with some steel in my limited down time and one of the first things I learned is that I love power tools.:D
So do I, but my wallet doesn't :p
I'll have to make do with what I have over here.
Hope it turns out great :D