Any word if there will be a Sage 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GSY

Any word if there will be a Sage 5?

Post by GSY »

I just started collecting knives and love the Sage series. I have all four of them and was wondering if there is any information or speculation about a Sage 5, 6, 7 etc.

Thank you,

GSY
Holland

Re: Any word if there will be a Sage 5?

Post by Holland »

I don't really pay attention to the sage series, but I think the next one might be a button lock if I remember right. Might be completely wrong though.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Just saw the Sage 4 has been discontinued
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

In August 2014 Sal mentioned that there are two locks in the queue.

See thread: Sage 5 ... any news??
sal wrote:There are two locks in queue. Neither are Compression locks.

sal
There were two types of Sage 3: Blue G-10 (discontinued) and CF/G-10 Laminate and Sage 4 has been discontinued.

Here's what December 2013 Spyderco Byte said about the Sage series:
Spyderco’s Sage Series is a family of knives that showcases the innovative lock mechanisms that have helped define modern folding knife technology.

Every member of the Sage family shares the same basic design profile and unifying features like a flat-ground, leaf-shaped CPM S30V blade, an ergonomic handle with textured forefinger choil and thumb ramp, and a reversible tip-up wire clip. What makes each of them distinct is its lock mechanism and the details and materials of its handle construction. In addition to diversifying Spyderco’s offering of lock mechanisms, the Sage Series “gives credit where credit is due” by acknowledging the contributions of some of the knife industry’s most innovative makers and designers.

What does the future hold for the Sage Series? Well, in addition to continuing to recognize the contributions of other designers, based on popular demand we plan to showcase our own lock innovations, including our patented Compression Lock and Ball Bearing Lock. These locks have definitely stood the test of time and earned their rightful place alongside the other notable mechanisms in the series.
Here's a picture of all 5 in the Sage Series: Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 3 (Blue G-10), Sage 3 (CF/G-10 Laminate) and Sage 4.

From the Spyderco 2013 & 2014 Catalogs:

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

A compression lock sage would be many people's grail, including myself!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I asked Sal about a Sage 5 at the factory seconds sale and he said it was still being worked on.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice post RamZar. Thank you
I have the Sage 1 due in Friday. Can't wait :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal has mentioned before that they would like to wait a while before they use any of their own locks. That means that the compression lock, bbl, cbbl and phantom lock would all be in the future.

The button lock would be interesting as it is usually used on autos.

Hogue makes a button lock that is not an auto as one example. I believe it is called the EX01.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

bearfacedkiller wrote: The button lock would be interesting as it is usually used on autos.

Hogue makes a button lock that is not an auto as one example. I believe it is called the EX01.
Button lock would be real nice.

I have it on my ProTech TR-4 Manual, Hogue EX-04, William Henry and Olson Quick Flick folders.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
GSY

Thank you for the replies - looking forward to

Post by GSY »

Sage 5, 6, 7 etc. Happy Thanksgiving!

GSY
timlara

Post by timlara »

Yep, definitely not a question of "if", but "when" there will be more Sages. Compression Lock would be amazing, but for sure that won't be the Sage 5. Can't wait to see what they choose, though.