Caly 3.5 discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Caly 3.5 discontinued?

Post by sal »

I carry the 3.5 SB quite a bit.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote:I carry the 3.5 SB quite a bit.

sal
I think anyone who owns one of these sprints can make this statement Sal. For me it has always been a fantastic steel in an already flawless design. Thanks for bringing us so many versions of this vision of yours. We knife nuts do appreciate such refinements.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

This thread makes the Caly 3.5 sprint with steel similar to M4... much more important. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Donut wrote:This thread makes the Caly 3.5 sprint with steel similar to M4... much more important. :)
I think that is a fantastic idea.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

xceptnl wrote:
bh49 wrote:
twinboysdad wrote: I am still just scratching my head how the best knife I have ever owned is discontinued...
Probably will buy one more back-up.
I picked up the VG-10 standard SKU from NK for $99.99
I think I just bought the last one they had in stock.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Well, it's hard to accept this but if the decision it's taken then all I have to say is thanks Sal for giving us the opportunity of using such a perfect design. My Caly has been in my pocket more than any of my Para2, one of my favs. I hope we'll see another sprint run some day.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:This thread makes the Caly 3.5 sprint with steel similar to M4... much more important. :)
Brian,
I love the idea. I was thinking about CPM M4 for a while.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JNewell wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
bh49 wrote:
twinboysdad wrote: I am still just scratching my head how the best knife I have ever owned is discontinued...
Probably will buy one more back-up.
They are out now.
edged

Post by edged »

It's always a bit sad to see such a great Spyderco design discontinued. Understandable though, and in a way it makes the knife more special.

I wonder if a Golden version with a compression lock and pillar construction would sell better amongst the more average knife buying public. A man can dream. :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

edged,
Welcome to the Forum
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:
JNewell wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
bh49 wrote:Probably will buy one more back-up.
They are out now.
Yup, I took them from 1 in stock to Out of Stock. ;) You sometimes wonder whether the order is actually going to go through (was someone else buying the same knife at the same time?) but I got the email so it probably did go through. :) I was surprised when the G10 Caly3 was discontinued, but it was, so this actually doesn't surprise me. I bought this one because I've got a pair of the SB sprints and a pair of the ZDP production versions and an old G10 Caly3 so this makes three pairs... :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm glad I have one. Thanks, Sal for the excellent design. I'm still real sad over the loss of my G10 Caly 3. Please do a stainless sprint of those. :o ... or even something close to stainless.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Maybe a HAP40 sprint in our future? :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Edged,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I was really hoping to get my hands on a Caly 3.5 Damascus sprint some day.........I really hope that the discontinuation of the G10 Caly 3.5 makes this more likely rather than less. :confused:
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

ManixFan wrote:I was really hoping to get my hands on a Caly 3.5 Damascus sprint some day.........I really hope that the discontinuation of the G10 Caly 3.5 makes this more likely rather than less. :confused:
As a huge proponent of this idea, I very much agree and hope so as well.

I am hoping Sal can chime in and at least give us a yea or nay on whether there will be future versions of the Caly 3.5 made!?! Even better would be to drop us a bone on whether the bolstered Damascus version might be a reality in the next year or two! Cheers, Radioactive :) (still reeling from the Caly 3.5 disco news BTW...)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

I am really disappointed!

I really loved the plain G10/VG10 version... It is my office carry knife that is in a small enough package that it doesn't scare people, yet is long enough to cut my apple in half.

I had the zdp version but sold it because I found the soft laminate cladding scratched to easily, and I really preferred the texture of G10 to the smooth CF of the zdp version...really wanted to like it.

I do love zdp, and if the blade was solid zdp, it would be my EDC. (If they ever put out a solid zdp blade version it would be my new favourite office knife).

I understand business decisions, seems I always like the models that get disco'd.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

SharpCdn wrote:I am really disappointed!

I really loved the plain G10/VG10 version... It is my office carry knife that is in a small enough package that it doesn't scare people, yet is long enough to cut my apple in half.

I had the zdp version but sold it because I found the soft laminate cladding scratched to easily, and I really preferred the texture of G10 to the smooth CF of the zdp version...really wanted to like it.

I do love zdp, and if the blade was solid zdp, it would be my EDC. (If they ever put out a solid zdp blade version it would be my new favourite office knife).

I understand business decisions, seems I always like the models that get disco'd.

Welcome to the Forums SharpCdn! I love the name you've chosen for yourself ;)

I also prefer solid ZDP over the laminate. It is stain resistant enough for me and I would rather have a slightly stained blade over a highly scratched up blade due to soft cladding.

I am hoping though that the discontinuation of the production G10 VG10 Caly 3.5 only means that we might see more sprints in this model........such as the bolstered Damascus Caly 3.5 and perhaps an M4 equivalent Japanese steel in a darker non-black or brown G10. Perhaps a dark blue or green or even a maroon G10. I have never ever seen G10 in a wine coloured dark maroon and think that this would be a sharp looking knife! ;) (Pun Intended) :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
edged

Post by edged »

bh49 wrote:edged,
Welcome to the Forum
sal wrote:Hi Edged,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you. :)

I hope that the Caly blade and handle shape live on in a new setup. Such a great design.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SharpCdn,

Welcome to our forum.

The ZDP Caly 3.5 is still in the line. It's a small afi market that buys the design. The maker is also having some issues. I would guess that sprints in the future are possible when the "right" combination is decided on.

sal