Caly blade play

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Caly blade play

Post by elena86 »

I own a small collection of Caly family folders.With all the talk about Caly 3.5 being discontinued I checked all my 3 NIB VG10 Caly 3.5's.They all have up-vertical blade play.I was so disapointed !.I also own 4 Caly 3 CF ZDP 189.Only one is an user and the other 3 are NIB.I also own 2 NIB Caly 3 in super blue.But very interesting: none of my Caly 3's has up-vertical or any other blade play ! What is going on here ? Could this be just a coincidence or what ....? Could this up-vertical blade play be more connected with the leverage of a longer blade ?
I just wonder...
twinboysdad

Re: Caly blade play

Post by twinboysdad »

I have heard of this, especially with the Superblue version, mine is a bank vault. Zero play after 3 years of EDC. I have a replacement inbound that I have my fingers crossed on. I have never had blade play on any Spyderco lock back except a LBHB that was pushed hard
Holland

Post by Holland »

Ive had 2 SuperBlue Caly 3.5's, 2 SuperBlue Caly 3's, and one Caly 3 ZDP189 and all of them had/have vertical play. It happens with Lockbacks. The only back lock knives I've owned with no play is the N5 and all the chaparrals
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IF you're talking about the type of vertical play that's normally only noticed when you bear down while cutting something, it's fairly common on Spyderco midlocks. Some specimens will have it, some will not. So in that sense, yes, it's just a coincidence that all of you 3.5's and none of your 3's have it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!