Diamond and CBN benchstones?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KevinOubre

Diamond and CBN benchstones?

Post by KevinOubre »

What do y'all think about Spyderco making their own diamond and CBN benchstones? I have played with my friends diamond and CBN rods for the Sharpmaker and I quite like them, but as a freehander the Sharpmaker rods aren't optimal for me.
sal

Re: Diamond and CBN benchstones?

Post by sal »

Hi Kevin,

We're working on a pocket stone first.

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal wrote:We're working on a pocket stone first.
Please hurry up; a in field usable good pocket stone is highly appreciated!
It's nice to have a bunch of stones at home, but only the stone(s)I have with me on my tours is real help outdoors ... I know, you know that too, but better to say it twice ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal, a double stuff with diamond on one side and medium or fine on the other would be amazing. It would be a great competitor with the dc3 or dc4 sharpening stones by falkniven. :D This would be awesome.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Peter1960 wrote:
sal wrote:We're working on a pocket stone first.
Please hurry up; a in field usable good pocket stone is highly appreciated!
It's nice to have a bunch of stones at home, but only the stone(s)I have with me on my tours is real help outdoors ... I know, you know that too, but better to say it twice ;)
They do have a double-stuff that's a medium/fine ceramic stone. The discontinued Duckfoot is a portable diamond option while you wait.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Blerv, try to sharpen a serrated edge on the double stuff and it is medium to fine. In field coarse to medium is much better. We both have also different understanding what portable means. Duckfoot is nice at home, but not incredible handy outdoors.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
bearfacedkiller

Peter1960 wrote:Blerv, try to sharpen a serrated edge on the double stuff and it is medium to fine. In field coarse to medium is much better. We both have also different understanding what portable means. Duckfoot is nice at home, but not incredible handy outdoors.
A diamond/medium double stuff is what we need.:D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

The drawing is a CBN (like the rods) and a white fine ceramic, with mods for teeth and points.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Terrific news. :)
-Darby
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

The knife sharpening industry is pretty far behind the tooling industry in most respects in regards to abrasives. Imagine if you had a CBN sharpening stone which when the CBN wore you could just resurface it like you lap a waterstone and it would be back to as-boxed cutting speed again. They make CBN abrasives like that in industry, someone should make sharpening plates like it for knives.
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

Cliff Stamp wrote:The knife sharpening industry is pretty far behind the tooling industry in most respects in regards to abrasives. Imagine if you had a CBN sharpening stone which when the CBN wore you could just resurface it like you lap a waterstone and it would be back to as-boxed cutting speed again. They make CBN abrasives like that in industry, someone should make sharpening plates like it for knives.
I didn't even know that existed. That would an incredible thing to have for knives.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

KevinOubre wrote:
I didn't even know that existed.
It is trivial to buy it in the form of grinding wheels, not so easy to try to find a block of it. Now anyone will make them if you are willing to buy a significant amount of them, the trick is finding someone that will make less than a pallet load of essentially a custom abrasive.

What someone should do (like Spyderco) is make a line of CBN stones, similar to the sintered ceramic stones (meaning solid abrasive not coated) and use a sensible binder. This way you could have an ultra coarse CBN hone (50 grit) and after it is well worn you just scrub it with a cheap no-name sharpening stone and it is like new again. The scrubbing isn't to flatten the stone, it is just to scrub off some of the binder to expose the abrasive again - this could even be done while you were using it to flatten waterstones. They would essentially last forever even if you used a very thin stone, similar to the Shapton GlassStones.

Now you could just buy a decent existing wheel and find a ceramic tile installer and get them to chop it up with a wet saw. But you really want to have it made for hand sharpening because you have to get the bond strength correct and you don't want the bond strength of a power abrasive (too high) and you also want the right abrasive density. But again any abrasive manufacturer can determine that trivially.
bearfacedkiller

Would cost be the factor between a solid cbn stone and a plated/coated one?
-Darby
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Would cost be the factor between a solid cbn stone and a plated/coated one?
Yes, that is why plated abrasives are so common. In essence, roughly, plated abrasives are essentially very strong sandpaper. The only issue with them in terms of cost is just lifetime. It isn't uncommon to find reports from people who wear out/down plated abrasives. The interesting question then is what kind of cost are you looking at for a say 1/4" CBN solid bond sharpening stone because it represents many,many lifetimes of a plated CBN abrasive.

As an aside, you can buy right now stones similar to the Spyderco sintered ceramics which have diamond in them. This sounds like an even more awesomer product until you try to lap a ceramic stone. There are also advancements in bonding such as the P.B.S. Braze process used which is supposed to prevent abrasive tear out in diamond abrasives. You can buy those files which are also super coarse and might be interesting for very quick edge resetting.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

KevinOubre wrote:.... That would an incredible thing to have for knives.
I am going to be getting a bunch of them for evaluation, various grits/bonds, etc. . I just called every industrial abrasive manufacturer until I found one who was willing/interested in experimenting. I will be comparing them to the solid sintered ceramics, electro-plated diamond, etc. .
sal

Post by sal »

Sounds good Cliff. Keep us posted.

sal
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
KevinOubre wrote:.... That would an incredible thing to have for knives.
I am going to be getting a bunch of them for evaluation, various grits/bonds, etc. . I just called every industrial abrasive manufacturer until I found one who was willing/interested in experimenting. I will be comparing them to the solid sintered ceramics, electro-plated diamond, etc. .

Please tell me there will be videos about it? Thats sounds very interesting
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Yeah, and I also picked up a set of 12" DMT x-coarse, coarse and x-fine benchstones which I will use as a comparison as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:Hi Kevin,

We're working on a pocket stone first.
Hey that's just got my attention big time>> If you guys are working on a new pocketstone I sure hope you'll do another version of the "DOUBLESTUFF" in diamond and CBN. By having the current Doublestuff and a new one with different abrasive material would truly be a Christmas present to all of us.

Because I can't even tell you how much I value that Doublestuff stone. Just today I used mine to sharpen 3 blades on my high end DeWalt box cutter I use a lot. And I'm here to tell you the Doublestuff sure is a timesaver.

But if you all do another Doublestuff stone please go back to that stiff leather like the first Generation Doublestuff leather pouch because I literally use mine like a small strop>> and it works great on box cutter blades and for EDC tune ups. Great thread
bearfacedkiller

sal wrote:The drawing is a CBN (like the rods) and a white fine ceramic, with mods for teeth and points.

sal
C'mon man, read the thread. :D
-Darby