Justice for the Spyderedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OldHoosier62

Re: Justice for the Spyderedge

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Don't know about these days but back in the 80's & 90's Spyderco was selling a lot of Spyderedge knives in the Marine corps, darn near every mortarmen, machinegunner, rappeling instructor, loadmaster, field wireman, ordnance maint. tech., Corpsman, and at least a couple of Marines on every Artillery cannon section were carrying SE or at least 50/50 serrated Spyderco's.

I'm sure there were more MOS's that used them but these I'm sure of....they were the handiest and probably most used tools we had. I had every Marine in my Ordnance platoon buy one, usually an Endura but others were purchased according to the buyers preferences. And I taught classes in the field in maintaining the edges, both SE and PE.

We cut rope, canvas and nylon webbing, hoses, wire ( :eek: ), camouflage netting, sandbage, tenting, canvas vehicle covers, ourselves....and being Marines, we found out you could play a mean game of "stretch" (or chicken) with them if the "Occifers" ;) weren't watching too close.

**** fine tools. We used the **** out of them.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I wasn't implying PE are better Lance, simply that with the kind of use I do I couldn't justify spending money on a SE blade as it wouldn't see enough use (and my pocket can only afford a knife that will be used more then it's money worth). JD also did give me food for thought about SE a few months ago and now I do think they fit greatly in their purpose. I know I can't take my sole cutting needs as what most user have to do. That's why I was interested in how many people out there use them.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Laethageal wrote:I wasn't implying PE are better Lance, simply that with the kind of use I do I couldn't justify spending money on a SE blade as it wouldn't see enough use (and my pocket can only afford a knife that will be used more then it's money worth). JD also did give me food for thought about SE a few months ago and now I do think they fit greatly in their purpose. I know I can't take my sole cutting needs as what most user have to do. That's why I was interested in how many people out there use them.
No, no, no, that wasn't directed at you at all! Sorry! Actually it wasn't directed at anyone in this thread. This thread just made me think of some of the debates I have heard before where from time to time someone will make an assertion that one or the other type of blade has no use or value simply because it has no value to them. There wasn't any of that going on here. (Which means I probably should not have even brought it up :rolleyes: ) My apologies for not making that clear.

Fwiw, I use a PE for 90% of my work but I find my SE salts indispensable for certain tasks. This is definitely a topic where the "get both" motto should be applied. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mikerestivo wrote:I have been jones-ing for a serrated-dodo for several years. I have not been able to snag one within my proletarian budget via the secondary market.

Sorry it's not a direct response to your question, JD - the SE Dodo is first on my list, that's all.
Why they haven't brought back the Dodo in Spyderedge is simply beyond me :confused: With the success they've had with the Sprint Runs of the PE Dodo models you would just think that they would run at least a few of them in Spyderedge. I too have wondered about that a lot >> along with why they never did a Captain model in SE or a Superhawk for that matter.

Now I do like Sheepsfoot blades in SE but I also like them in more conventional designs as well. And it's about time they did one of their great recurve blades in SE>> I'm thinking the Spyker or the Ulize. JUSTICE will prevail :D
endgame

Post by endgame »

so far a have a manix 2 full spyderedge and a pm1 full spyderedge and these are my workhorses.they are used,and abused without getting dulled as much.+1 on the captain spyderedge .
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'd love a PM2 in SE.

I've been enjoying my original Police in G-10 and SE lately. Something about cold weather and SE go together well in my book!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't really think it needs "justice" as much as a push for people to try one before passing judgement. If they did I suspect more people would appreciate them even if they still prefer PE. It's certainly better than abhorring something without any tangible experience.

I think knives like the Native5 and Military, and Para2 deserve a run for sake of history. Maybe even a Caly3.5. Others like the Chokwe I'm afraid would sell even worse with teeth than PE, especially since it was discontinued already.

Of the serrated knives I do like the FFG/SE knives like the late Stretch or Caly3/Junior. Maybe that would help with sales.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ayoob...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:...the newer Ulize
Yes please
Donut wrote:I have a soft spot for FFG SE knives.
Ankerson wrote:I would like to see the SE Military come back.
Which is exactly why my two favorites at the moment are my SE Stretch and SE Military. I snagged the Military the instant I saw it at the knife shop. I must say the Stretch is (IMO) the better of the two, since it has slightly thinner blade stock and slices a bit better, but overall I like and use the Military more.

I completely understand the lack of SE knives due to sales, I just wish the ones that are offered were offered in FFG. While there are models I would be much happier with in SE, I would also get by ok with say a FFG Tasman/Pacific/Atlantic/etc. There are some great knives currently offered in SE that I would probably own if they were just FFG/SE. The low hollow grind is just not for me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:Ayoob...
HALLELUJAH!!!!>> a super big HIGH FIVE . The AYOOB is not only one of my all time favs in the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2003 but it's also about my all time very favorite folder in Spyderedge. I did manage to keep a couple of those Spyderedged Ayoob models from the early 2000s. I so much wanted them to do a few of the fairly recent Sprint Run of the G-10 handled Ayoob in SE but for some reason they didn't.

Doc Snubnose who has actually done a meat cutting test with that model says it's performance in Spyderedge is at the top.

I've also wondered what the Chinook model would have been like in SE??
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think it's particularly UNJUST that Spyderco doesn't offer most of their Golden, Colorado USA Earth made model are no longer offered up in Spyderedge like they were at one time. The Military, Para and NATIVE models in particular were truly loved models in SE. The original Dodo model from the early 2000s decade were originally offered in Spyderedge because I had two of them at one time and the one I used worked great.

The older C-25 & C-50 Centofante models from the Golden plant were also originally offered up in Spyderedge and they are two models I never got EDC in SE unfortunately. Those two models should be candidates for a Sprint run in SE & PE both.

I also remember how the old Renegade model ( the ones made at the Golden plant) were and how great they performed in full SE. Yep it's time to start thinking SPRINT RUN for SE Golden models
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Let's not forget two more gems from the past.
These are my personal favorites in SE, I love micarta... :)
C16 Goddard and the C58 JD Smith.

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If I can have only two knives I would make one of them SE. But if I can have only one knife I'm sorry, SE doesn't cut it for certain things. And I never carry two knives.

Combo edge saves the day!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:Let's not forget two more gems from the past.
These are my personal favorites in SE, I love micarta... :)
C16 Goddard and the C58 JD Smith.
Marcus I won't argue with you for one second on either of those great blades from the past. Now I've personally not ever used a fully serrated Goddard model and I've even heard that they are about as rare as an honest politician.

But I owned and used a full Spyderedged J.D. Smith model and I could kick myself hard for trading it when I did. I long to have another one. Mine was an ATS-34 model and it's serrations held up very well I do distinctly remember that.

Thanks a million for the great input. Justice is beginning to prevail :D
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Is it just me or does that JD Smith look similar to what a SE Chokwe might look like?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I will add that the poor sales of the Dyad sprint have been surprising and maybe just indicative of the future of SE in general. Seems like we are heading for SE only in Police, E4, D4, Salts, and Rescues. Spyderco doesn't need any practice making knives and if the originator of the serrated folder is scaling back on SE, then one must presume the market has spoken.
putrid_retch

Post by putrid_retch »

There's a guy in Great Britain named Ray Tedd who was recently knighted by Queenie-baby. While doing the ceremony, the Queen stated, "I hereby give you the honor of a Knight & you shall now be referred to as Sir Ray Tedd & work for MI-5 as a spy!"
He traded his plain-edge blade for a serrated Spyderco. :rolleyes: ;) :D :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

twinboysdad wrote:I will add that the poor sales of the Dyad sprint have been surprising and maybe just indicative of the future of SE in general. Seems like we are heading for SE only in Police, E4, D4, Salts, and Rescues. Spyderco doesn't need any practice making knives and if the originator of the serrated folder is scaling back on SE, then one must presume the market has spoken.
I sadly must agree with this line of thought. I personally love SE, but the Dyad does not provide the most comfortable working grip in my use. The Dyad Jr is much more comfortable, but this is likely due to the lighter cutting chores. The market may have spoken, but hopefully sprints are still a viable option in knives already (or previously) offering a Spyderedge.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:I will add that the poor sales of the Dyad sprint have been surprising and maybe just indicative of the future of SE in general. Seems like we are heading for SE only in Police, E4, D4, Salts, and Rescues. Spyderco doesn't need any practice making knives and if the originator of the serrated folder is scaling back on SE, then one must presume the market has spoken.
I sadly must agree with this line of thought. I personally love SE, but the Dyad does not provide the most comfortable working grip in my use. The Dyad Jr is much more comfortable, but this is likely due to the lighter cutting chores. The market may have spoken, but hopefully sprints are still a viable option in knives already (or previously) offering a Spyderedge.
I'm kind of sad and surprised to hear you guys say that about the C-44 full sized Dyad :( yeah it's not the most comfortable or ergonomic folder Spyderco ever made and I won't argue that for one second. But the years I EDCed that knife a lot I got used to it's bulk and somewhat awkward hand grip. Really it wasn't a big negative for me personally because I just absolutely loved having the best of both Spyder worlds in one folder. I still carry and use my original one on occasions and did on Thanksgiving.

I really love it because those 2 blades can tackle about anything I would normally use a folder for. I'm sure they could go back to the drawing board and correct or modify the present handle on the C-44 Dyad. Now with the smaller Dyad Junior I did like the Micarta version much more than I did the FRN versions I owned. Both blades on the C-44 Dyad are excellent designs and very functional.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My main temptation with the Dyad was always that it would basically force me to carry SE even when I didn't think to, so I would inevitably find more uses for that blade. Otherwise I tend to carry 2 knives.