New Southard :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

New Southard :)

Post by MacLaren »

Came in with the morning mail thanx to John (jmh58) an excellent Spydie member! (Thanx again man :) Wow, what can I say about this new Southard? Well, its just flat out awesome! A Taichung treasure first and foremost, has such a great feel to it. You know immediately where those extra pennies went to once she's in hand. I absolutely love the blade finish. VERY nice. I also really like the ergos. Fits very well in the hand and, certainly flips very well. Not Domino fast, but plenty fast enough. Has a very sharp factory edge. Excellent balance. Absolutely rock solid lock-up with zero blade play. Just a helluva nice knife fellas. I had originally started to go with an all black Southard, but after receiving this one, Im really glad I didn't. Taking nothing away from the Black Southard, I just really,really love the looks of the Brown and stainless/stone washed. If theres one thing Ive learned since joining the Spydie world in April of this year, its the more Taichung the better! That being said, lets move on to the pics :) Ive taken duplicate pics to get better looks at the blade.
MacLaren

Re: New Southard :)

Post by MacLaren »

Spyderco Southard
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spyderco Southard
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Congrats. I have only had mine since Saturday but it does seem excellent. It is weird that one side is thicker than the other. Great blade to handle ratio and it does fill the hand very well. I need to carry it more to be sure. Overall first impression is very favorable. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Congrats. I have only had mine since Saturday but it does seem excellent. It is weird that one side is thicker than the other. Great blade to handle ratio and it does fill the hand very well. I need to carry it more to be sure. Overall first impression is very favorable. :)
I know right? One side is a bit thicker. Honestly, I think I may like her a bit better than my Domino, except that I really love the choil on the Domino, and it is a little faster flipper. But, this Southard is a super nice knife. Ya just cannot loose with a Taichung Spydie imo.
And yes Darby, excellent blade ratio! It packs a ton of blade it seems.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This knife (along with the Yojimbo 2) are two knives I've never felt the need for a 50/50 choil. When I bought mine, I spent literally an hour hanging out in my local knife shop BS'ing with the owner and customers, actually carrying both the Southard and Domino in my pocket, drawing them, opening them, putting them back in my pocket, etc. I can't really say one bad thing about the Southard that wouldn't be my own personal preferences, while I can point out things that I think most people would agree could be better on the Southard (such as the grind being a bit thick). Despite that, I still bought the Southard because I liked everything else so much better than the Domino, which is surprising to me since I love the Manix 2 so much and they're so similar.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Congrats! I handled one at the seconds sale, and while I liked it overall, the lock was incredibly sticky and I passed.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:This knife (along with the Yojimbo 2) are two knives I've never felt the need for a 50/50 choil. When I bought mine, I spent literally an hour hanging out in my local knife shop BS'ing with the owner and customers, actually carrying both the Southard and Domino in my pocket, drawing them, opening them, putting them back in my pocket, etc. I can't really say one bad thing about the Southard that wouldn't be my own personal preferences, while I can point out things that I think most people would agree could be better on the Southard (such as the grind being a bit thick). Despite that, I still bought the Southard because I liked everything else so much better than the Domino, which is surprising to me since I love the Manix 2 so much and they're so similar.
I totally agree with you David. Its neat to have on the Domino, but the way the Southard is, well, the Southard is just fine without. It carries so very well in hand imo. It and the Nilakka have quickly became my favorite Spydies. The Southard is super impressive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Congrats! I handled one at the seconds sale, and while I liked it overall, the lock was incredibly sticky and I passed.
Thanx man :)
And I understand that. The Domino is easier to unlock. There just two different flippers.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I agree with David, the blade is too thick, but I still love my Southard. I've got mine on me today.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I agree with David, the blade is too thick, but I still love my Southard. I've got mine on me today.

Man, that does look good.....
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Congrat's Mac!

just remember to put a "photo's inside", warning in the thread title, drooling like a baby here lol :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Congrat's Mac!

just remember to put a "photo's inside", warning in the thread title, drooling like a baby here lol :D
Lol, thanx Johnnie. By all means get one if you ever get the chance. Worth every cent......Taichung really takes it to another level.
I'm gonna do a " Taichung Treasure" thread shortly....
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

@ LiquidViper

You're right, that blade is way to thick, better ditch it fast.

I'll do you a favor and PM you my address so you can send that fatty to me as a Thanksgiving Day present.

I would like the box and all included paperwork..... :p
The Official, Unofficial Gayle Bradley Picture Thread!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65859" target="_blank
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I've had two Southards. Both were disappointments. The first one had damaged G-10 somehow (probably post-manufacturing?) but was great in almost every other way (the blade wasn't ground all that well though). The second one had a perfect blade grind and undamaged G-10, but had a lock that went over 3/4 of the way and was way too tight. That one actually made a noise when released. I hate returning knives but there is no way I'm paying that much for a knife with that issue.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That's tough Knutty. Mine is just a hair off center (first Taichung I've saw not centered) but, I can live with that. Its so very smooth and nice. Seems like the Southard's have had centering issues? Most centered I would imagine though.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Glad ya like it!! :D Thanks!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

jmh58 wrote:Glad ya like it!! :D Thanks!! John :)
You got it buddy :)
This knife is unbelievable. It just keeps getting smoother the more it gets broken in. I like everything about. Even the thick part of the blade. Just superbly made imo.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

congrats! now you will need some custom scales ... hehehehee.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

762cal wrote:congrats! now you will need some custom scales ... hehehehee.
;) And if you think these are cool, Google eveilgreg's ones on BF. These are from Steve Ketchen and Cuscadi. Nice pickup Mac, got the black one ordered yet? :p

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King