Approximate date of manufacture for my G10 Police? Or fake?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

Approximate date of manufacture for my G10 Police? Or fake?

Post by demoncase »

So, I've (erroneously) figured I had a Police 3 in the collection- then I took a real close look at my G10 Police and realise it's not as it's missing a bunch of features (Most obviously the various pocket clip 'oles and choil)...But I've googled some images and I can't see one that has the pocket clip with 3 holes in a line behind the pivot (rather they have the Civilian style 'hooked' clip that goes around the pivot)....

Now, this is quite pocket-worn- The G10 is now quite smooth compared to my recently purchased Yojimbo, but the fit and finish are as crisp as the day (I assume) as it left the plant. Likewise, the blade retains an edge superbly.

Now, before I jumped at the "Fake" idea, I bought this nearly 10 years ago before the current volume of fakes that seem to appear everywhere....But I'm not sure:
Is this a real Police you think?
Is there such a thing as a Police 2?
The markings look good and crisp- ATS-55 and Seki City.
I don't need a complete birthdate but a "Yep, made between 1998 and 2005" Or similar would be fine...

Help please!

sdedalus83

Re: Approximate date of manufacture for my G10 Police? Or fa

Post by sdedalus83 »

I once saw an ad for a plain edge with the same clip and a sterile blade indicating 98-99.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Oooh! That's made me feel rather better- Thank you!
putrid_retch

Post by putrid_retch »

I just bought a Police 3 G-10 & the pocket-clip is 4-way adjustable. There's a hole in the clip where the pivot screw goes in-between. It's got 'VG-10 Spyderco' on 1 side of the blade & 'Seki-City Japan' on the other side. Your handle looks different, as mine has those '3-holes' on each side, top & bottom.
I'm no expert, but it doesn't look anything like mine. Not saying it's a knock-off or anything, but it looks a lot different than the 1 I own.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

putrid_retch wrote:I just bought a Police 3 G-10 & the pocket-clip is 4-way adjustable. There's a hole in the clip where the pivot screw goes in-between. It's got 'VG-10 Spyderco' on 1 side of the blade & 'Seki-City Japan' on the other side. Your handle looks different, as mine has those '3-holes' on each side, top & bottom.
I'm no expert, but it doesn't look anything like mine. Not saying it's a knock-off or anything, but it looks a lot different than the 1 I own.
I'm aware of that- if you read my first sentence you'll see I'm already up to speed that it's not a Police3, for one of the reasons you note. ;)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

They made a G-10 Police 2 with serrations and ATS-55 from 1998-2001. The 1998 version didn't have a liner like yours has (and also had "POLICE" engraved on the blade), but the subsequent years had a single liner. In 2001, a Boye dent was added to the lockbar (and I believe "POLICE" was added back on the blade). So that dates yours to the 1999-2000 range.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C07_Police" target="_blank
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
rycen

Post by rycen »

Can't add very much more than what was posted but can confirm it is legitimate and made between 98 to 2000. There's been quite a few versions of the police before the newest third generation. Titanium, stainless steel, aluminum,G10 and carbon fiber.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Looks legit to me. Some of the later FFG/single liner ones had the Boye dent, mine had none but was marked POLICE. I've seen them with the regular 3 screw clip, like yours, and with the type that arcs around the pivot. I'd almost bet that every batch had some difference from the ones before and after, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jack (yablanowitz) has one of each in his collection. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have one that looks just like yours, so I think you're pretty safe. Of the 5 G-10 Police 2s I have, only one has the curved clip, as does my CF model.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

My G-10 Police 2 has the curved clip, and I like the look a lot more than the regular clip.
putrid_retch

Post by putrid_retch »

demoncase wrote:
putrid_retch wrote:I just bought a Police 3 G-10 & the pocket-clip is 4-way adjustable. There's a hole in the clip where the pivot screw goes in-between. It's got 'VG-10 Spyderco' on 1 side of the blade & 'Seki-City Japan' on the other side. Your handle looks different, as mine has those '3-holes' on each side, top & bottom.
I'm aware of that- if you read my first sentence you'll see I'm already up to speed that it's not a Police3, for one of the reasons you note. ;)
OK man...no need to get snide. I was just trying to help. Then if you already knew all that, what's the question?
araneae

Post by araneae »

putrid_retch wrote:
demoncase wrote:
OK man...no need to get snide. I was just trying to help. Then if you already knew all that, what's the question?
He is just looking for confirmation that it is not a fake.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Thank you for the depth of knowledge on this forum. Thats put my mind at rest- and I'll give my Police some pocket time to celebrate.