Nano oil 85w is the best IMO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Nano oil 85w is the best IMO

Post by The Mastiff »

We used to dip parts in moly powder before putting the revolvers together ( S&W). I believe they stopped due to ome eco type regulation that came down. I have powder and have used it but never liked it for knives. Graphite I like even less. It feels gritty to me and is messy as ****. When I get a new lockback I'll clean it, apply tuff glide. After a couple days I wipe it down again and apply a dry teflon lube.

Yes, there is slipperier stuff. I don't need it though. I'm looking for something that won't attract or hold dirt as that will damage or create more wear than years of use. At least the way I use it. I don't sit around flipping while watching TV.

No oils or greases on open things like knives ( that don't really need it anyway) as the downside, or possible downside is greater than the upside. I want the knife to wear some and break in properly. The only time I've used grease is on some older , rusty knives like traditionals with problems of some kind. I use it mostly to catch the rust and grunge that breaks free. It traps it in the grease and I clean it after a day or two.

When needed action cleaner, or, the big guns, break cleaner removes any oils/greases down to the bare metal. It takes dirt and loose rust. Finish the cleaning with a paper towel or cloth then begin again with whatever you need.

I have used tri flow and others and like them. The light oil, teflon mixes are pretty good on some things. Guns, especially semi autos that build up carbon, grit, heat, whatever take a much different approach to lubes and cleaning.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Forgive me for not reading this entire thread, but with the 85 weight, is it so thick that it slows down the motion of the blade, like mineral oil does? If so then I would like a lighter weight myself.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Is the 85w easy to get into the pivot, or do you need to pull the knife to get it to work well. Wondering if it's an oil or more like a grease.
victorf

Post by victorf »

Internet is a wonderful thing, you can read all kinda stuffs - whether true or not! :)

I did an extensive google search on the Nano oil, appeared consensus was 85W over the lighter variety. 85W is an oil, not a grease and not thick like pancake syrup!

I gave it a try on a few of my knives - for me not as good as BreakFree clp - but cost a whole lot more.

My favorite go to best lube, it is not an oil but grease - Krytox and with similar fortifier but thinner, lube by Christo Lube.

On Spydercos and my William Henry, Krytox works great. But on my CRK, not so much, action is like going thru mud. After disassemble,clean, then replace with CRK grease, back to silky butter again. But CRK grease is expensive, some claimed CRK tweak their own grease - guess what - it is made by Christo Lube - they supply private labels. So.......you can have the same for a lot less. And here is my murdered and picky CRK:

Unlike Krytox, all my knives behave well with Christo Lube.

Or don't believe me, do your own independent study, try use Nono then........... :)

Buy the way, for those don't want to disassemble to lube, simply put a couple of pin size dots(be it oil or grease) next to the pivot or what not, use moisture free compressed can air, gently guide the grease into crevices, work the pivot and thats all it takes. :)
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

The Mastiff wrote:When I get a new lockback I'll clean it, apply tuff glide. After a couple days I wipe it down again and apply a dry teflon lube.
Like this stuff? I'm seriously asking, because I have some of it on hand. However, I put my own health above that of my knives, and the MSDS (and my knowledge of the health effects of PTFE exposure) isn't encouraging.
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

Spoke with the owner today. Dude is a champ! Really passionate about his product. From my understanding, it is essentially non toxic unless you drink it... I wouldnt mind cutting an apple after wiping the blade off if it had oil residue. Also, the W85 seems to be ideal for both flashlights & knives. Very little on the orings as it goes a LONG ways - safe for most as there is no petroleum.

Orderd!
The Official, Unofficial Gayle Bradley Picture Thread!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65859" target="_blank
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

Studey wrote:Is the 85w easy to get into the pivot, or do you need to pull the knife to get it to work well. Wondering if it's an oil or more like a grease.

Very much an oil. But from what I understand it stays where it belongs.

victorf

Post by victorf »

ForrestChump wrote:Spoke with the owner today. Dude is a champ! Really passionate about his product. From my understanding, it is essentially non toxic unless you drink it... I wouldnt mind cutting an apple after wiping the blade off if it had oil residue. Also, the W85 seems to be ideal for both flashlights & knives. Very little on the orings as it goes a LONG ways - safe for most as there is no petroleum.

Orderd!
Just to be clear. Being passionate does not guaranteed a product can be what it claims! If I have a product for sale - I certainly will come across as passionate as I can be - if I want to be successful, right!?

My feel for Nano 85W, on the first couple of days = Break Free CLP, then, noticeable less smooth. It will flow out, although it is 85W, I had experienced wiping off excess. It is first, starts off as a liquid, it will evaporate as well. As a matter of physical attributes, grease will stay on much longer to do what it is designed for.

On the subject of "O" rings, Christo Lube is approved for Scuba "O" rings use on air supply diving gears, as well as "O" rings for oxygen rigs and many other industrial applications. Christo Lube is a large company, it has deep pocket for R&D. Its chemical composition are listed. These facts are verifiable.

I can not find Nano Oil in such listings and it never concretely list what it is contained.

Common sense dictates - "If it is too good to be true...it often is". There is always snake oils out there for anyone who listens.

But it is rather a cheap lesson to be learned, as I had.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

:)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Like this stuff? I'm seriously asking, because I have some of it on hand. However, I put my own health above that of my knives, and the MSDS (and my knowledge of the health effects of PTFE exposure) isn't encouraging.
Yes, like that. As far as it being unsafe well, I don't know for sure. I know I've used it for decades so worrying about it is a bit late. I have been around a lot worse stuff anyway than having some teflon in my knifes bearings. In the mean time it does exactly what I need it to do.
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

Update: Haven't ordered the nano oil yet but I did just receive a 4oz bottle of Froglube. $13.00 Amazon

A-W-E-S-O-M-E

I had been looking for something that can be used on flashlight o-rings and knife pivots. I've been using sewing machine mineral oil for my Gayle Bradley and SUPERLUBE on the light and thought that was good.

Just threw a drop into the pivot and the difference is night and day. I also did one of my Surefires, 1/4 drop did the o-rings perfect. Surefire recommends not to do the threads as to not gunk up the contacts, but I took the mostly dry q tip I was using and did a small swipe on each end. PERFECTION on both the knife and the light. I can wrist flick my Bradley open no prob, haven't touched the pivot. Bottle is marked: "USDA CERTIFIED BIOBASED PRODUCT 98%". I don't use ANY lubricant on food prep but this stuff seems fine for that purpose. The only problem is its not sealed, as in there is no safety seal. This should be fine for most but Im paranoid. I've thrown away an ocean of pop top Starbucks because I have a memory of a dead goldfish and if I don't remember the pop, it ain't going down my throat. :confused:

TLDR: FROGLUBE ROCKS FOR ME. Many are Very Happy with Nano Oil as well.