Request: Resilience / Tenacious Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MikeWolverine

Request: Resilience / Tenacious Sprint Run

Post by MikeWolverine »

Dear Spyderco,

Please make a sprint run of the Spyderco Resilience.
- Tactical Black FFG Blade
- S30V Steel
- Made in Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth
- Enlarged Spyderhole
- Enhanced liner lock or perhaps a ball bearing lock

Cheers,
- Mike Wolverine
sdedalus83

Re: Request: Resilience / Tenacious Sprint Run

Post by sdedalus83 »

That would be a Military.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
Holland

Post by Holland »

sdedalus83 wrote:That would be a Military.
Thats what I was thinking too haha.

Welcome to the forums! I don't see your request coming true, but you never know.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
swigert

Post by swigert »

Sounds like a military is in your future!

That's a lot to ask for in a sprint. Especially moving from China to Golden.
MikeWolverine

Post by MikeWolverine »

I know it's a lot to ask for and that I'm asking for a Military in a lot of ways. The kicker for me, is as much as I love the technical specs of the military, for some reason I'm not a fan of the blade shape or how it felt to me...I know, i'm strange! lol
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sounds interesting, at least until you look a bit deeper. There's no tooling for those models in Golden, so Spyderco would to invest in brand new tooling for them. That's a pretty expensive investment to recoup on a Sprint Run. Then there would be the trial runs necessary to get everything dialed in so those Sprints would make it through QC. The material wasted and man hours spent would further tick up the price Spyderco would need to charge just to recover their costs. Perhaps worst yet, it would all have to be done in a plant that can't keep up with demand for its current production models.

Now this is just speculation on my part, I don't have any inside info, but given the level of "afi" interest in those knives, I'm more inclined to think there's a chance Spyderco might consider introducing one or more new "all edge" bladed, US made, models once the Golden plant expansion is complete.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MikeWolverine

Post by MikeWolverine »

Appreciate the responses and insight guys...in the mean time maybe I should just buy a Resilience...according to my better half, a Manix 2 XL is apparently going to be under the tree! And dont hate me for blaspheming but my CS Recon 1 Tanto XL just arrived ;) its very nice but my Spyderco is still my go to!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Your best hope is that BD-1 makes it to the Tenacious. According to Sal they have a maker who is capable of doing the heat treat right, they will be doing the new Raven/Crow. It's only a matter of time before more Chinese makers develop the refinement to process higher end steels.

I am boggled that they don't do some more colors for the value line, the last runs seemed to go quickly.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Byrd line is indeed switching over to BD1, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the value Spydies follow suit eventually...which means I'll have to expand my value series folders lol.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would probably buy a Resilience in VG10 or S30V. This line of knives doesn't really blow me away in the looks department, but I love how the design/grind of the blade allows for the most cutting edge possible, and I've been eying the Resilience for a folding kitchen knife for a long time.