Let's talk about the upcoming phil wilson b&t (sprig)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Re: Let's talk about the upcoming phil wilson b&t (sprig)

Post by Phil Wilson »

Jim, only 4 knives back with damage, 3 utility type and one fillet. Utilities were back when I was still doing hollow grinds. Each has a story and the user admitted to misuse. I was able to regrind them and still return back a useable knife. Some luck involved but also a custom is more of an investment and people will tend to take better care of the knife. I expect the same is true of the Spyderco knives. Phil
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Fantastic thread!

It makes me *really* want to get one of Phil's custom filet knives, I just wish I actually caught enough fish to use it on. I hope 'Gringo has a huge freezer, the way he's been catching them!

I have a couple of SouthFork's, but they haven't really seen any action. I don't even spend enough time in the kitchen to use them there. I'm going to smoke some salmon for Thanksgiving, but since we don't exactly have salmon in the rivers in Texas, mine will come already fileted from the store, I won't need to cut it.

I'll definitely be in line to purchase the Spyderco b&t when it comes out!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Phil Wilson wrote:Jim, only 4 knives back with damage, 3 utility type and one fillet. Utilities were back when I was still doing hollow grinds. Each has a story and the user admitted to misuse. I was able to regrind them and still return back a useable knife. Some luck involved but also a custom is more of an investment and people will tend to take better care of the knife. I expect the same is true of the Spyderco knives. Phil
That's good numbers Phil. I'd like to clarify for anyone reading this thread what I meant in the earlier post when I talked about pushing the edge on your knives until failure. One knife had two tiny microchips that you almost could not see with the naked eye (could feel them with fingernail) and sharpened out with one touchup and the m4 blade had a tiny flat or shiny spot (maybe 1/2mm long and also barely visible) right in the belly which was remedied with 10-12 swipes on a fine diamond late. I have pushed them both quite hard and am very impressed with how they are holding up. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't over dramatizing any edge damage with my wording. The knives are working hard and doing just fine! :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Phil Wilson wrote:Jim, only 4 knives back with damage, 3 utility type and one fillet. Utilities were back when I was still doing hollow grinds. Each has a story and the user admitted to misuse. I was able to regrind them and still return back a useable knife. Some luck involved but also a custom is more of an investment and people will tend to take better care of the knife. I expect the same is true of the Spyderco knives. Phil

That's actually not that bad. :)

But yeah a custom knife would be much more of an investment in a lot of ways.

I think the worst part would be explaining to the custom maker how the knife was damaged.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks for starting this informative and enjoyable thread, Lance. Few here can say they put demands on their knives like you do.

And thanks for chiming in, Phil. I've now visited your site and will most likely be calling you in the coming year so I can get into your build queue.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Lance, I was just wondering how you feel about Phil's knife, does it feel like a step up from the Southfork performance wise? Also, in the future would you be more likely to opt for another custom knife over a production knife?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Lance, I was just wondering how you feel about Phil's knife, does it feel like a step up from the Southfork performance wise? Also, in the future would you be more likely to opt for another custom knife over a production knife?
My hope is to get a few more of Phil's knives and a lot more of Sal's! Horses for courses. Sure, I like the ability to be specific with a custom about type of steel, profile and grind, (and yes, those decisions and Phils magical heat treats are going to push performance into the highest range) but when a company i trust as much as Spyderco comes out with a great collaboration I will also grab a production model at half price in a second! ;)
Last edited by Surfingringo on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have 2 Spyderco Southforks (s90v) and a Smoke Creek (k390).

The Southfork is an amazing tool. I thought it was the most useful tool I'd ever own (and it still may be) until I got the Smoke Creek. The custom is definitely a step up from the Spyderco production. I'm not sure if that's because of the steel difference, or the grind, or whatever, but my Phil Wilson custom is just insane--I have trouble describing how incredible a cutting tool it is.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Does anyone have any information yet on the size and blade length of the upcoming Sprig? I know Phils b&t comes in various sizes...I am kind of hoping the Sprig comes in on the smaller side. (Say 3 1/2"). Are we sure about the s90v?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Yes Sal already said S90v. Can't wait for this one. :D With Jim's earlier post I was hoping Sal might drop in and give us a better clue as to when we might expect this. Also I think this is regular production but I don't know if that has been confirmed?
Gravedigger

Post by Gravedigger »

Surfingringo wrote:Does anyone have any information yet on the size and blade length of the upcoming Sprig? I know Phils b&t comes in various sizes...I am kind of hoping the Sprig comes in on the smaller side. (Say 3 1/2"). Are we sure about the s90v?
I'm also hoping on the smaller size. 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 would be great in my opinion.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

3 1/2" inches would be pretty awesome and I would probably use it as an edc fixed blade. I was just wondering if in the future the Sprig could be offered in different blade steels (Southfork as well). I don't know much about Bark River but I see that they offer the same model in different steel and handle configurations. So for example you would have the standard Sprig in s90v, then maybe a 10v version and a 4v version all priced accordingly? Basically offering the same knife in different options so the customer can choose what suits him/her best.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Johnnie1801 wrote:3 1/2" inches would be pretty awesome and I would probably use it as an edc fixed blade. I was just wondering if in the future the Sprig could be offered in different blade steels (Southfork as well). I don't know much about Bark River but I see that they offer the same model in different steel and handle configurations. So for example you would have the standard Sprig in s90v, then maybe a 10v version and a 4v version all priced accordingly? Basically offering the same knife in different options so the customer can choose what suits him/her best.
Something I would very much like to see in fixed blades. Imo, because there are fewer use restrictions imposed by the actual design in fixed blades you are likely to see them in a markedly wider range of uses. Because of this I think the steel characteristics we all talk about like wear resistance, corrosion resistance and toughness can become significantly more relevant in FB knives than in folders. So yes, it would be nice to have a steel option for maximized edge retention and an option for maximized toughness in the same model...say the b&t for example. I can't speak for others, but if there was a b&t offered in s90v and cruwear, I would own both!
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

Phil Wilson wrote:Back to the question of how Lance is sharpening this knife. He is experimenting with different abrasives and grits and has narrowed down to a range he is looking at. In general on my knives I like an aggressive edge for the range of uses they are intended. A range of 320 or so to 600 grit has worked best for me for an all around edge for fish and game. The knife was sharpened initialy with an 600 grit Lansky diamond plate and I was very happy with how that sharpening complimented the steel grade and hardness. I have a EZ Lap 600 grit that seems a little finer but still give the edge I want. We shall see what Lance ends up with and it will be excellent feed back for me. This guy catches a amazing variety of big fish with tough skin and bones. In addition on the discussion of how fine I grind a blade to; it depends on the use, the steel grade, hardness and other factors. I see mention a lot of-- "Phil does not grind that thin". Well, I have done blades at .004 or so and also at .025 or more. I just did a fillet knife for a guy who wants to slice through the bones behind the head on a Redfish and that one was an average of .025. It is a matter of the right balance of all the factors not a standard dimension I work to. Phil
Phil,

When you take the grind to .025" or more do you create your edge on a stone or plate? Anything above .015" would seem to take a long time especially on high wear steels.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Edge-e, I normally form the first edge with a wet Silicon Carbide belt (320 or 220) on the grinder at very slow speed. Then to the stone to get it cutting clean and even and then dull the edge on the stone. Resharpen on a diamond plate or back to the SC stone. I use Windex on the stone and plate. Phil
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Windex on the stone and plate?
Interesting! I'll have to try that!

Thanks Phil :)
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

Phil Wilson wrote:Edge-e, I normally form the first edge with a wet Silicon Carbide belt (320 or 220) on the grinder at very slow speed. Then to the stone to get it cutting clean and even and then dull the edge on the stone. Resharpen on a diamond plate or back to the SC stone. I use Windex on the stone and plate. Phil
Phil,

Thanks very much for your input. I will keep that in mind and I value your process!
Ray Allen

Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Hi,
If you have not checked out Jim Ankerson's latest test results of a Phil Wilson designed slicer in CPM 10V @ 64.5 hrc over at BF, I would suggest checking it out. Spoiler alert...the numbers may shock you!
Surfingringo

Re: Ray Allen

Post by Surfingringo »

Ray Allen wrote:Hi,
If you have not checked out Jim Ankerson's latest test results of a Phil Wilson designed slicer in CPM 10V @ 64.5 hrc over at BF, I would suggest checking it out. Spoiler alert...the numbers may shock you!
Link?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Jon