Justice for the Spyderedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Justice for the Spyderedge

Post by JD Spydo »

Like the title says there must be justice for the Spyderedge. Because in my humble opinion there are a growing number of Spyderco models that would truly be stellar if they were available in Spyderedge. This isn't just a thread about models you would like to see available in Spyderedge this is about models that are not offered in Spyderedge is just completely "unjust" and needs to be rectified.

Three models that immediately come to mind that I've wanted to see in Spyderedge are the C-111 Captain model, The SuperHawk and the newer Ulize>> all three of those models would serve a huge fanbase if they were available in SE.

I know that many of you are like myself and have wondered why certain models aren't available in Spyderedge so let's hear what you all have to say about it.

The recurve sector and the fixed blade sector in particular just don't have enough models available with Spyderco's great serrated edge. Not to mention the Native, Military and Chokwe models would be super in SE and many have requested that these models should be available in SE. So which ones do you all feel need to be in SE???
elena86

Re: Justice for the Spyderedge

Post by elena86 »

One word : Paramilitary 2 !
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I agree with JD Spydo that many models could be made better IMHO with the addition of the spyderedge. The Caly 3.5 and the Native 5 LWT would both be excellent candidates. I am not sure how that would look to the marketing and numbers crunching types in Spydieville, but it would score high on the performance end of the scale.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

It's too bad SE are so neglected these days. I would love to try a SuperBlue model in SE. I think it would perform very well.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would like to see the SE Military come back.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'm trying to resist a NIB 440V SE Military and LNIB PE 440V Military at the moment.. Kind of hard, but I normally carry a Tasman or Pacific when I want something serrated to abuse ;)
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I have been jones-ing for a serrated-dodo for several years. I have not been able to snag one within my proletarian budget via the secondary market.

Sorry it's not a direct response to your question, JD - the SE Dodo is first on my list, that's all.
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Spyderedge must come back again to the first line of the battle. Any single one who needs a knife for heavy duty chores should have the option of choosing a serrated version of the intended/selected knife.

It would be a dream came true to see the Para2 in SE.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Curious if Sal chimes in...I would buy a SE Millie, Ulize (partial though), Ayoob, and Caly 3.5. Maybe the new Lil Temp will have SE option? I also wish a sprint steel in SE would be available too
putrid_retch

Post by putrid_retch »

I agree...I carry the Police 3 G-10 with full serrations. I bought the Ulize when I got the Police model, thinking about switching off occasionally, but the Ulize just doesn't slice it after using the serrated Police.
I'm selling the Ulize for more than I paid...just to make back a little $$$...but I'll always choose a serrated blade over a plain-edge anytime. If the Ulize would've been offered with the Spyderedge, that would be my knife of choice...but the serrated Police works like a chain-saw.
Exactly what are the benefits of a plain-edge over serrations? Any serrated blade I've used cuts as fine as a plain-edge does (no jagged edges or anything)...so why use a plain-edge? :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

putrid, many people use PE because it's easier to sharpen and they have a whole host of excuses as to why it's better. Most of them lean on the fact that they can do anything with a plain edge that a serrated edge can do (which I think isn't exactly true). People who work with meat say plain edge doesn't damage the meat as much.

Caly 3.5 in SE sounds pretty nice. I've been off and on collecting serrated models. I have a Para 1, Military (S30V), G-10 Police, Endura ZDP, Delica ZDP, Lil Matriarch, Spyderhawk, Pacific, older Delica, Caly 3, Ladybug Salt, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Cricket... I probably have more but that's all I can think of. They cut good for me.

I have a soft spot for FFG SE knives. I traded away the Brown Matriarch in SE, which I think is the only FFG Serrated Reverse S ever produced. I've always wanted to see a sprint run FFG Endura with SE.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
paladin

Post by paladin »

Ankerson wrote:I would like to see the SE Military come back.
...in 440V, for Auld Lang Syne~
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

JD Spydo,

A couple years ago, I would have disagreed with you on the usefulness on a full Spyderedge. Since I learned how easy it is to sharpen serrated edges using the Sharpmaker though, my thoughts on the toothy edges have done a complete 180. I'm with you now in wanting to see more models available with Spyderedge. The only thing I ask is that they at least have a small section of Plain edge near the tip.

I've been thinking that serrations would be interesting in some of the higher end steels, such as ZDP or even CTS-XHP.

Xceptnl,

I seem to remember Sal mentioning that the Native 5 lwt will be available in all edge configurations. I could be wrong though.
Invective

Post by Invective »

paladin wrote:
My three most abused Spydies are all full SE 440V Spydies! Two Natives and a Millie. Just keep coming back for more. One time I was clearing some blackberry brambles from a narrow bike lane in some backroads near my house, and since I am an 8 year-old at heart and there was no one else for miles, I was pretending to be a samurai and doing full swings when suddenly I hit the metal guardrail with my Native. The 440V showed a fair amount of damage, but 10 minutes on the 701 profiles had it looking good, at least on the presentation side. The back side shows the damage still, but if it was a plain edge, I would have a chip a good 1/8th of an inch I reckon.

Also, looking over my recently pared down collection, I have 5 full SE's out of 20, and always on the lookout for more. I say, BRING ON THE FULL SE MILITARY SPRINT! And also the Native5 LW full SE sprints as well please!
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I wonder what's the % of SE user compared to PE user. I remember you started a thread asking for PE version of some knife that didn't had the option. Even thought I personnaly am not interested in PE, I think it could be a good option for those loving it if there's enough demand for it. I guess Sal already has sale number to tell him, but maybe we could start a poll simply to see how many SE user there is?
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Invective wrote:
paladin wrote:
My three most abused Spydies are all full SE 440V Spydies! Two Natives and a Millie. Just keep coming back for more. One time I was clearing some blackberry brambles from a narrow bike lane in some backroads near my house, and since I am an 8 year-old at heart and there was no one else for miles, I was pretending to be a samurai and doing full swings when suddenly I hit the metal guardrail with my Native. The 440V showed a fair amount of damage, but 10 minutes on the 701 profiles had it looking good, at least on the presentation side. The back side shows the damage still, but if it was a plain edge, I would have a chip a good 1/8th of an inch I reckon.

Also, looking over my recently pared down collection, I have 5 full SE's out of 20, and always on the lookout for more. I say, BRING ON THE FULL SE MILITARY SPRINT! And also the Native5 LW full SE sprints as well please!
Video or it didn't happen! :p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

xceptnl wrote:I agree with JD Spydo that many models could be made better IMHO with the addition of the spyderedge. The Caly 3.5 and the Native 5 LWT would both be excellent candidates. I am not sure how that would look to the marketing and numbers crunching types in Spydieville, but it would score high on the performance end of the scale.
I believe Sal has said that when the original Native Lightweight is phased out, the 70/30 version will be replaced by 70/30 Native 5 Lightweight.

As for the rest, I suspect that Spyderco has been burned on SE models often enough to be very cautious. The models where SE is a proven seller get it, the rest don't. So, unless you have deep enough pockets to sponsor a run yourself, your best bet would probably be to convince some dealer or distributor to sponsor an SE Exclusive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:
xceptnl wrote:I agree with JD Spydo that many models could be made better IMHO with the addition of the spyderedge. The Caly 3.5 and the Native 5 LWT would both be excellent candidates. I am not sure how that would look to the marketing and numbers crunching types in Spydieville, but it would score high on the performance end of the scale.
I believe Sal has said that when the original Native Lightweight is phased out, the 70/30 version will be replaced by 70/30 Native 5 Lightweight.

As for the rest, I suspect that Spyderco has been burned on SE models often enough to be very cautious. The models where SE is a proven seller get it, the rest don't. So, unless you have deep enough pockets to sponsor a run yourself, your best bet would probably be to convince some dealer or distributor to sponsor an SE Exclusive.
Yeah, and when I look at it In that light, it's hard to imagine a dealer spending the resources on an exclusive SE run when they don't even know if it will sell; when instead they could use the same money to do a run in "xyz" fancy new steel and be almost guaranteed a quick sellout. I'm sure Spyderco looks at the situation with similar thoughts. There are only so many hours in a day to make knives so I'm sure they want to focus on making the models they know will sell.

Having said all that though, I think the serrated knife is something very dear to the brand and we will probably see it in new models in the future. Se seems to be a bit "out of fashion" at the moment, but usefulness and practicality can only stay unpopular for so long. :).

As far as the SE vs. PE debate that someone mentioned earlier, I try to stay out of that because it's a bit silly. It's like arguing that highway tires are better than all terrain tires, or vice versa. Folks will have their preference in knives based on usage just like they will in tires. A fella who spends a lot of time behind the wheel and covers a lot of ground is likely to own both.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I'd love to see some more fully serrated knives. I would really like to see a couple large folders such as the Military, Manix 2 XL, or maybe even a PM2. As long as there's a small portion of PE near the tip that would be perfect. :) It seems like all the options for serrated knives have gone away... Maybe if we talk about it long enough Sal will give in and make more ;)
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Spydie Edge Millie.

That is all I have to say about that.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.