Spyderco Tomahawk?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ookami

Re: Spyderco Tomahawk?

Post by Ookami »

Oh, the other one is by Laci Szabo? This is gonna be good... I can't wait to see his take on a tactical 'hawk or is it similar to the one above?

Ookami
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Bodog wrote:This one looks very spyderco-ish:

It's already got the trademark hole. I'll take 2
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Yeah, I don't REALLY need a tomahawk, but if one of the ones produced is at least similar in design as the one above, I may have to rethink not needing one. I have no idea what I'd do with a tactical tomahawk, but dang, that one looks like it'd be mean, and fun to swing around at that.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

i've got 3 tomahawks that i throw along with 3 fullsize double bit axes
It's really fun to throw the big axes with the 36" handles
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

Can't wait till they release I'm just glad that I found it now instead of earlier because I'll have to wait less time till they release. But the wait is still going to be to long :(
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote: One is a tactical design by Laci Szabo and the other is a hatchet/Tomahawk hybrid by Martin Genzow.

sal
Well, looks like the Tactical one is coming out first... the Szabohawk. I'm very intrigued by this one and am wondering about the utility of the faceted/bearded cutting edge and whether it would be good for EDC cutting/chopping. Looks like a very smooth design otherwise. Would have been nice to have a sheath that covered just the cutting edge so the "hammer" side could be used, but perhaps that wasn't the intention.

I'm curious to see what the other hatchet/tomahawk looks like. Looking forward to these.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

captnvegtble wrote: Well, looks like the Tactical one is coming out first... the Szabohawk. I'm very intrigued by this one and am wondering about the utility of the faceted/bearded cutting edge and whether it would be good for EDC cutting/chopping.
Being as this has been in the works almost forever and a day, I think we can safely assume that this tomahawk has been tested up one side and down the other for everything from light breaching to EDC to camp chores. Mr. Szabo knows what he's doing when it comes to tomahawks and Mr. Glesser knows how to squeeze the best out of him with their long history together.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I've been looking forward to Spyderco's version of a tomahawk since this thread first began. The more I look at that Szabohawk, the more I want it... I really like Laci's/Spyderco's designs and collaborations. I hope it's not overly expensive, although I have a feeling it might be.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Can't wait to see the other tomahawk/hatchet
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

The sazbohawk looks very nice.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I guess this thread can be bumped seeing as how the second aforementioned hawk was just shown by Mr. Blonde in his Amsterdam show thread.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love to know more. Mainly weight and size. The 5160 sounds nice and the shape of the head looks good. It is much more of an axe than a tomahawk though. The edge looks very thick in the pics but filing an axe head is part of taking ownership so whatever. I must admit that I was hoping for a straight and round hickory handle when I heard "more traditional". I wonder if it would be possible to put a wooden handle on it?

Waccama, NC happens to be the home of Council Tool.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would love to know more. Mainly weight and size. The 5160 sounds nice and the shape of the head looks good. It is much more of an axe than a tomahawk though. The edge looks very thick in the pics but filing an axe head is part of taking ownership so whatever. I must admit that I was hoping for a straight and round hickory handle when I heard "more traditional". I wonder if it would be possible to put a wooden handle on it?
It's hard to tell from the pics, but the bit looks waayyyy too thick. More like a splitter. I don't see a splitting hatchet as the type of refined performance piece Spyderco is knowm for.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

It does seem ridiculously unground. I would've expected at the very least a convex edge. Not for me based on the pictures provided unless the price is SUPER competitive. It does look interesting but I'm positive there are competitors who are producing equivalent pieces. The price to performance ratio needs to be solid.
Last edited by Bodog on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

When I think of a performance hatchet, I think of a scaled down racing axe: A dayton pattern with an apex grind tangential to the thickest part of the head and scalloped cheeks. It's rare to see a high performance hatchet at a decent price.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I agree its hard to tell from the pictures, I think the way it is angled in the pictures really messes with it visually, but from what I can tell, the edge looks fairly thin. Especially in the last picture. Disregarding the hammer portion, the heads looks to be about 1.25"-1.5" at the widest point, around the handle. That doesn't seem unreasonably thick to me. And just a rough guess at handle length, id guess its around 17"-19".

Also, the handle is polymer with an aluminum rod, I would guess that will help keep costs down, and if the heads are in fact being made by Council Tool, from what I've seen, their prices are competitive and relatively low. Considering its a Spyderco collaboration with a custom maker, the materials being used, price of competitive options, and the overall (estimated) size of hatchethawk, Id guess the price will be in the range of $80-$130. This, of course, is all just speculation.
I also agree with bearfacedkiller in hoping this would feature a nice hickory handle when I heard the mention of "more traditional"
-Nick :bug-red