H1 Steel Blade Scratch Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

H1 Steel Blade Scratch Question

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

As others here have noted, while H-1 steel is very tough and resilient (And almost magically rust-proof!), if the steel on a knife like the Pacific Salt scratches, am I right in that will NOT have bad effects on its overall performance, or, will the scratches degrade its use as a rust resistant cutting tool? I am leaning towards a "no, it won't hurt the overall performance", but, what do those here who have experience with the scratches on the blade surface say?
Screwdriver

Re: H1 Steel Blade Scratch Question

Post by Screwdriver »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:As others here have noted, while H-1 steel is very tough and resilient (And almost magically rust-proof!), if the steel on a knife like the Pacific Salt scratches, am I right in that will NOT have bad effects on its overall performance, or, will the scratches degrade its use as a rust resistant cutting tool? I am leaning towards a "no, it won't hurt the overall performance", but, what do those here who have experience with the scratches on the blade surface say?
Just cosmetic......
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Are you asking if the scratches would make it less stainless? If so, I would say probably not. A polished finished is a benefit on carbon steels but I don't think scratches on h1 would be a place to encourage corrosion to start.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

If it was rust resistant due to cladding steels around the core (Or a coating) and the scratches were deep enough to penetrate to the less rust resistant core (I'd classify them more likely as gouges at that point), the answer might be maybe. H1 is solid the whole way through, and is just as rust resistant at the core as it is on the outside, so even if you had a gouge that passed all the way through the entire blade (Not sure how you'd accomplish this in acceptable use), it still wouldn't be any more rust prone. Purely a cosmetic issue, and I wouldn't even call it an issue unless talking about a safe queen.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

To be technical and split hairs, scratches actually increase the surface area on anything, and those recesses do contribute to rust on steels that aren't rust free if not properly looked after. A stonewashed blade has more surface area than a polished blade for example. With H1 though, it isn't going to rust anyway do the scratches just add character.
fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

I have generally taken a Scotchbrite pad to my H-1 after a time to give it a faux-stonewash and mask the tiny scratches...mine are fairly seriously neglected and have not seen any rust at all....
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I've got a number of salts with scratched up satin blades, I've never noticed any difference in use over the years. I will say however, my black coated pac salt doesn't slice as well as my salt 1, but I'm guessing this is just due to the coating as they're both razors when they come off my sharpmaker.
Holland

Post by Holland »

spyderHS08 wrote:I've got a number of salts with scratched up satin blades, I've never noticed any difference in use over the years. I will say however, my black coated pac salt doesn't slice as well as my salt 1, but I'm guessing this is just due to the coating as they're both razors when they come off my sharpmaker.
I've never heard of a coating effecting cutting performance. Could the bevels be set differently, or maybe the salt 1 is thinner behind the edge.

Scratches have never caused me to notice any change in performance of my salts.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Holland wrote:
spyderHS08 wrote:I've got a number of salts with scratched up satin blades, I've never noticed any difference in use over the years. I will say however, my black coated pac salt doesn't slice as well as my salt 1, but I'm guessing this is just due to the coating as they're both razors when they come off my sharpmaker.
I've never heard of a coating effecting cutting performance. Could the bevels be set differently, or maybe the salt 1 is thinner behind the edge.

Scratches have never caused me to notice any change in performance of my salts.
For me there always was a noticeable difference between my DLC Para 2 and satin Para 2. The satin always felt smoother through things like cardboard.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Exactly. The DLC has more friction than the satin blade as it slides through the cardboard. Thick corrugated presses vey hard indeed on the sides of a knife cutting it, so the effect is significant. It seems to me the only advantage of DLC on H-1 (or most stainless steels) is light discipline. Since light discipline isn't a factor in my use scenarios, I stick with satin blades.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Bill1170 wrote:Exactly. The DLC has more friction than the satin blade as it slides through the cardboard. Thick corrugated presses vey hard indeed on the sides of a knife cutting it, so the effect is significant. It seems to me the only advantage of DLC on H-1 (or most stainless steels) is light discipline. Since light discipline isn't a factor in my use scenarios, I stick with satin blades.
This...it has a coarser finish and will create more friction when cutting materials that load significantly on the sides of the blade, like cardboard. It's also why people report that their DLC blades aren't as smooth opening as their satin counterparts (Nothing wrong with the knife...just more friction against the washers and/or handles depending on construction). I can understand the need for light discipline, but I think that in the real world coatings are more utilized for corrosion protection more often than light discipline.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I have been using a Salt 1 at work on and off for the past year or so; putting it through ****. it gets no oiling just a rinse with water once in a while. It does see a strop or sharpmaker more often than other knives. It is scratched to crap, it has been exposed to rain and humid environments. Until now never seen any rust on the scratched surface just a little on the H1 logo easily removed with oil and fine steel wool.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

The hole in the blade exposes the full cross section of the steel.
I haven't seen any rust forming on my se hawkbill lady bug around the inside of the hole.
So in my opinion a scratch would not make is less rust proof.
But don't quote me on this though :) as I'm no steel expert.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only way you will see rust on H-1 is if a particle of another steel somehow gets embedded in the blade and rusts. AFAIK, H-1 cannot "rust" in the conventional (red oxide of iron) sense. It will corrode if exposed long enough to strong enough corrosives, the kind you would not expose your skin to intentionally unless you were a masochist, but the product of that corrosion will be an oxide of iron other than the red oxides.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!