The factory seconds have hit eBay

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rycen

The factory seconds have hit eBay

Post by rycen »

I've done this before and I thought it was kind of interesting to keep track of the prices of sold seconds. Please post here if you see any,include the model and auction number to make sure no duplicates are posted.

Para 2 camo/satin BIN 100 auction 191423139566
Para 2 CF S90V BIN 295 auction 191423153530
Sage 4 107 auction 111527050100
Native forum model 135 qty 3 auction 331393494003
Tenacious green 30 auction 251730564246
Last edited by rycen on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
GoldenSpydie

Re: The factory seconds have hit eBay

Post by GoldenSpydie »

204P PM2 that sold for $50 a few hours ago is now up for $200:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Parami ... 6016.l4276" target="_blank

$80 T-Mag is also up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-T-MAG- ... 6016.l4276" target="_blank

Delica Damascus was $90:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Delica ... 6016.l4276" target="_blank

S90V Yojimbo was $80:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-C85GP2 ... 6016.l4276" target="_blank

Damascus Endura was $100, now $220:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-SPRINT ... 6016.l4276" target="_blank
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Yo2 S90v was 80$ ?!? **** I wish I lived near the factory ! :P
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Whoever thought a T-Mag was a good idea to flip must not know their knives very well. They don't tend to sell for much and I think they'll be lucky to make their $80 back. It's kind of lame to see them on the bay already, but at least they're being up front about them being factory seconds. Some sellers neglect to mention that. I must have been crazy to put the 204P Para 2 back on the table from my basket if it sells for that price! ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
timlara

Post by timlara »

Laethageal wrote:Yo2 S90v was 80$ ?!? **** I wish I lived near the factory ! :P
Yup. Picked one up for $85 and I can't find anything wrong with it other than the little nick the factory puts near the opening hole to mark it as a second. However, I'm keeping mine!!! :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Paying a premium on eBay for a factory second? Ok... :rolleyes:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Interesting info... thanks rycen and GS. Some don't seem to have the nick near the spydie hole, and most seem over priced to me. I'm thinking the two Damascus knives may be seconds because the Damascus layers are thin on one side, but I've also seen that on non-seconds I believe.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Those $10 markups crack me up. That's not even worth my time to list and deal with buyers.
Shuutr

Post by Shuutr »

I need to plan my vacations better. My wife won't know why I'm flying from Texas to that neck of the woods....
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shuutr,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

There's a factory second Forum Native up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Native ... 2c91b4ee4c
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Evil D wrote:Those $10 markups crack me up. That's not even worth my time to list and deal with buyers.
I wonder if they didn't buy to resell, but spent too much and had buyers remorse and are just looking to get their money back quickly (the +$10 covering eBay fees). Like you said, it's just not worth the effort to make $10.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jabba359 wrote:
Evil D wrote:Those $10 markups crack me up. That's not even worth my time to list and deal with buyers.
I wonder if they didn't buy to resell, but spent too much and had buyers remorse and are just looking to get their money back quickly (the +$10 covering eBay fees). Like you said, it's just not worth the effort to make $10.

Could be, and I guess could also be someone trying to pass the savings on to someone who couldn't be there, but that can't be said for the $200 Para 2.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Spyderco made an interesting move for this year’s second sale. Prices were about double as they have been in previous years. This puts the price for a second at about what I believe is a reasonable price for a second quality knife (about 30% of MSRP) and I believe that this will cut down on the number of knives we see being sold on ebay since the margins will be less. This pricing should mean that many more people we simply shopping at the sale for themselves and leaving more knives for others waiting in line. And, less knives for those just looking to make a buck. I think that might explain the T-mag sale.

This logic only holds true for knives of “normal” demand. For knives that are highly sought after for their steel and rarity, all bets are off. Though logic really doesn’t apply to these rare specimens anyway.

I also have the same feeling about used knives, though my pricing logic doesn’t always holds true. New seconds and used knives = 30% of MSRP. New knives = 60% MSRP. But, we all know that that last equation doesn’t always hold. Such is the world that I live in.

Jim
Crazy Fox

Post by Crazy Fox »

I think the Spyderco seconds sale policies have had a huge impact on keeping ebay sales and such from getting out of hand.

Obviously, limiting each person to 25 knives prevents a handful of ebay sellers from coming in extra early and capturing all the rarest and most expensive knives. More importantly, continuously refreshing the stock on the tables prevents a Black Friday phenomenon from taking hold. That means that the sales continue to be an enjoyable experience each time because you don't have worry about missing out on the good stuff if you can't get a prime spot in the front of the line.

At the other end of the spectrum, my college hosts library book clearances which have become something of a joke. There are no limits, no restocking cycles, no rules. Basically a few private booksellers will come in at the start of the sale and pile up all the books that look good. They then scan through them with a smartphone to produce a list with all the book street values and toss the ones they don't want. What could have been (and probably was) a very cool opportunity for students to build up their personal research libraries and the public to grab a search for interesting texts has become an ebay-er free-for-all that doesn't do much to build lasting ties between library and customer.
putrid_retch

Post by putrid_retch »

I remember when the skeletal Spydercos hit the market in the 1990s. The ones where the blade & handle just had the bare essentials (even a little 'Spyder' in the blade) & were lighter than a feather. I bought 1 thru Smoky Mtn Knife Works for $39. I sold it last year for $220. Spydercos used to be very affordable 20 yrs ago & now they're all in the 3-figures.
They've definitely gotten to be a higher quality knife, with the better steel & manufactured much better. I'm loving this new Police 3 G-10 with the Spyderedge. Really rips thru flesh nicely. :eek: :D :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

putrid_retch wrote:I remember when the skeletal Spydercos hit the market in the 1990s. The ones where the blade & handle just had the bare essentials (even a little 'Spyder' in the blade) & were lighter than a feather. I bought 1 thru Smoky Mtn Knife Works for $39. I sold it last year for $220. Spydercos used to be very affordable 20 yrs ago & now they're all in the 3-figures.
They've definitely gotten to be a higher quality knife, with the better steel & manufactured much better. I'm loving this new Police 3 G-10 with the Spyderedge. Really rips thru flesh nicely. :eek: :D :spyder:
Yeah, but consider some of the steels being used back in 1990 were about on par with the Chinese/budget line being made today, and you have your dollar equivalent knife to that time period. Imagine what something like the CF/S110V Naive 5 would have cost in 1990.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Welcome to the forums PR :) Some great and very serviceable knives, like the Delica and Endura series, can still be had pretty cheaply. I just checked my handy dandy inflation calculator, and it says $39 from 1990 would be worth $70.85 now, which would buy a nice Endura ;)

By the way I wouldn't let that avatar get ahold of that Police... I'm sure he'd use it to cut the filters off his cigarettes :D
grewich

Post by grewich »

A chunk of seconds hit bf. Geez. $400 for a pm2 cpm154/s90v *eyeroll