Spyderco Police CO7s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger10

Spyderco Police CO7s

Post by Ranger10 »

Hello everyone,
I've used the Spyderco Police knives for over 15 years. I've used the Combo blade, the plain edge, but finally settled on the Spyder edge. They were all great knives; both sleek and tough. Many times when I used it in the presence of others they commented on its looks, and asked to see it. So last week I ordered another one from Amazon with the intention of passing my current one on to a relative. The new one, a Spyderco Police CO7s arrived today ... words cannot adequately express my disappointment.

Someone at Spyderco has decided that they knew how to improve upon perfection!!! Instead of drilling three holes to hold the clip they decided that it would be better if there were 12 holes drilled into the handle. This someone also decided that they would use three screws (as before) to secure the clip to the handle. But the next part is what I just couldn't believe ... This nameless someone also decided that it would be OK to just leave the tapped holes AS IS!!! That's right the extra and IMHO unneeded 9 holes just left open in the handle.

One would think if they drilled the extra holes, and they knew that only three would be needed that they would include 9 screws that would flush mount into the openings. But no this unknown Michelangelo of design decided that the appearance of this truly classic knife really didn't matter anymore. To say the least I'm disappointed, and I'm returning the knife to Amazon. They have agreed to pay return shipping because the knife in their online catalog doesn't have the extra screw holes.

One last thing ... The only reason I can think of them drilling the extra holes is because of complaints from left handers. Hmmm I'm left handed and it really never bothered me. It was just something to work through.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Spyderco Police CO7s

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Welcome to the forum.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

The extra holes on the knife are a staple for many spiderco designs. They alow for you to mount the pocket clip to what your preference is. I see this as a plus because anyone who buys this knife can mount it how they want. If it was a midtech or custom then I would only want holes for where i am caring it.but because it is a production i see it as a smart and insightful design.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I agree with Sal that the Swiss Cheese look is ugly, but that's what the people buying knives these days demand, so that's what they've done. As for including screws that would fit flush in the holes, how is that supposed to work? Even more extra machining (and therefor cost) to countersink all the holes so the screws could be flush without screwing in far enough to interfere with the blade? Nice idea, but I don't think it would be very practical or cost-effective.

As for serving the lefties, they've made left-hand versions of the Police from time to time. I think the tip-up carry crowd had more to do with the decision than the lefties. It's a shame, but that's what people want.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I like having the option to swap the clip to where I like it, and the option to change my mind at a future date depending on whatever other knife I'm pairing with the knife in question. I've moved clips around on several of my knives more than once. It doesn't bother me at all aesthetically, but I remember a thread where someone filled the clip holes (On a Tenacious IIRC) with a glow in the dark material and it made quite a cool effect.

Welcome to the forum.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ranger10 wrote:One last thing ... The only reason I can think of them drilling the extra holes is because of complaints from left handers. Hmmm I'm left handed and it really never bothered me. It was just something to work through.
Glad Amazon took care of you. Sorry there aren't many Spydercos left that will appeal to your sense of esthetics, but between complaints from left handed users, and from right handed ones with a preference for tip up on tip down only models or tip down on tip up only models, they just decided to let everyone be able to put the clip where they wanted it. On one level, I can feel your pain since I take all mine off and toss them in a drawer, so I wish they'd leave the darn clips off altogether and just offer them, along with a drill bit and a tap, as a separate item for those who find them useful. On another, I'm glad they're no longer deciding that only those who prefer one of the four possible modes of carry are worthy of a properly positioned clip. But then, I'm a lot less tolerant than you are of "making do" with wrong handed tools. Guess we all have our quirks. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Police SS,SE being my all time favorite spydie I also consider that they almost ruined the knife with all those unnecessary holes in the handle.I also tend to agree with Yablanowitz that this has something to do with the tip-up crowd and not so much with the lefties.Being a tip-up guy myself, I still consider that Police and Military carry very well in tip-down position and we may allways use a spyder-drop for fast deployment.Lucky for me, I own 6 old school Police SS,SE and 1 PE.
I am looking forward for an aluminum or titanium handle Police, old school blade shape of course :D
Shuutr

Post by Shuutr »

I don't mind the extra holes, but could they make pseudo screw plugs the way gun manufacturers plug scope mount slots to keep gunk out of the unused holes?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

splitting hairs, ridiculous post, find something relevant to gripe about. 4 way clip on a knife as big as the Po Po is very much needed.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

On a common knife like the Police they need to accommodate everyone for their preferred carry method even though all the extra holes are an eyesore. Practicality wins!

Thank goodness there's no such accommodation in the nice collaborations like the Rubicon. Aesthetics wins!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

elena86 wrote:Police SS,SE being my all time favorite spydie I also consider that they almost ruined the knife with all those unnecessary holes in the handle.I also tend to agree with Yablanowitz that this has something to do with the tip-up crowd and not so much with the lefties.Being a tip-up guy myself, I still consider that Police and Military carry very well in tip-down position and we may allways use a spyder-drop for fast deployment.Lucky for me, I own 6 old school Police SS,SE and 1 PE.
I am looking forward for an aluminum or titanium handle Police, old school blade shape of course :D
They are out there, you just have to find them.

The one on the right below is uncoated aluminum
The one below is titanium

RamZar wrote:On a common knife like the Police they need to accommodate everyone for their preferred carry method even though all the extra holes are an eyesore. Practicality wins!

Thank goodness there's no such accommodation in the nice collaborations like the Rubicon. Aesthetics wins!
The funny thing is, the Police Model managed to stay in the top 10 bestselling models for over 25 years without all the extra holes.
Last edited by yablanowitz on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

yablanowitz wrote:
elena86 wrote:Police SS,SE being my all time favorite spydie I also consider that they almost ruined the knife with all those unnecessary holes in the handle.I also tend to agree with Yablanowitz that this has something to do with the tip-up crowd and not so much with the lefties.Being a tip-up guy myself, I still consider that Police and Military carry very well in tip-down position and we may allways use a spyder-drop for fast deployment.Lucky for me, I own 6 old school Police SS,SE and 1 PE.
They are out there, you just have to find them.

From this pic it looks like there may NOT be any left out there! :D
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

yablanowitz wrote: They are out there, you just have to find them.

Nice. Your very own Police Department! :)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I love my SpyderEdge G10 Police 3........great knife, SE excellent as a dinner knife with perfect length for that usage. Also great at cutting through French bread baguettes with the SE.

Holes don't bother me a bit.......I don't even notice that they are there. IMHO I think the OP is nitpicking too much and threw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater by returning his......but then again, if you aren't happy with something then it will always bother you.

Too bad something so insignificant to most can be such a deal breaker for some in an otherwise awesome knife.

This thread was of some benefit to me though when I read of the GITD mods that someone else has used......I am intrigued and may look to try this out too.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
putrid_retch

Post by putrid_retch »

I just bought the Police 3 G-10 with full serrations & couldn't be more pleased. Like a pocket chain-saw!! :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

This is a copy of my post in Bladeforums to the same question:

Hi Ranger,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your disappointment. The Police Model was my design oroginally and I guess I'm the guy that decided to blemish the aesthetics. I must admit that the Police Model was never designed with looks in mind, only pure efficient function. The decision to add the "ugly" holes was the request of our customers over a long period of time. Yes, some do complain about the appearance, but most prefer the change. We also made a new G-10 Police model, again at the requests of customers, to which we added a finger choil and G-10 scales along with a full flat grind. Also a function driven design.

Hope you'll forgive me?

sal
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Like Sal said, it wasn't designed to be a good looking knife. For example, the Rubicon is a good looking knife, but doesn't have all the extra holes. Everything's a trade off. You can have aesthetics, or functionality. In a knife I'm going to use and carry, I like to have options, and I don't mind how how it looks. If you want a knife without the extra holes, get a military, or a lefty military if you can find one. Spyderco makes a lot of knives, and they aren't all perfect for everyone.

Matt
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

As a guy who use to take every T/D Spyderco to my mill for extra holes prior to use, I am happy Sal made the change. Of course I use my knives so aesthetics are not a big issue, function is.

Thanks Sal.
putrid_retch

Post by putrid_retch »

Ranger10 wrote:Hello everyone,
I've used the Spyderco Police knives for over 15 years. I've used the Combo blade, the plain edge, but finally settled on the Spyder edge. They were all great. The new one, a Spyderco Police CO7s arrived today ... words cannot adequately express my disappointment.

Someone at Spyderco has decided that they knew how to improve upon perfection!!! Instead of drilling . To say the least I'm disappointed, and I'm returning the knife to Amazon. They have agreed to pay return shipping because the knife in their online catalog doesn't have the extra screw holes.
I gotta say 1 thing about Amazon...they are the classiest, easiest to work with & went above & beyond in helping me out with a 'return'. The rep was courteous, intelligent, & I hung up the phone 110% satisfied with a decision.
If any Amazon reps read this, thank you anonymously.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I haven't minded the extra holes on most of the knives including the Police. When I first got my Vallotton Sub Hilt, I felt the same way as the OP. I was really shocked at how such a beautiful knife could be defaced with all the extra holes. :eek: While the initial shock has long warn off, still wish it didn't have all those dern holes. Still a keeper. :spyder: