Info about Spyderco C25GP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elqfaltaba

Info about Spyderco C25GP

Post by elqfaltaba »

Greetings friends, luck was with me yesterday and buy this Spyderco, belonged to a good friend who knows of my admiration for this knife, it's the Spyderco C25GP, brand new and with original box and papers.

I searched about this knife and I have not found much, on the Spyderco website no longer appears and I'd like to meet specifications, anecdotes and stories there behind the establishment of the first collaboration with legendary Centofante.

Thank you.
Peter1960

Re: Info about Spyderco C25GP

Post by Peter1960 »

Your C25GP is second generation of first collaboration with Frank Centofante. Just a view minutes ago I added the measurements in Spydiewiki as good as I can. Take a look at Spydiewiki, it's your friend ;) - http://spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C ... nformation" target="_blank

What do the letters on your clip say? Do you also have wrong spelling on it, like "FORIEGN PETS PEND", or not?

My pleasure to help an European buddy!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

Thank you very much for the reply and for update the information in Spydiwiki, is a fantastic website that I check often.

My Spy C25GP has the black clip without any engraving text, a picture of it.

Knives can also unite countries, greetings.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

elqfaltaba wrote:Knives can also unite countries, greetings.
Well said, here in Sal's house we are in a big family :cool:
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

elqfaltaba wrote:My Spy C25GP has the black clip without any engraving text, a picture of it.
I do not believe that is the original clip for this model or perhaps it was near the end of the production run. All the ones I have seen have had text engraving as opposed to the bug engraving. Maybe someone more knowledgable about this model could chime in?
sal

Post by sal »

Hola Elqfaltaba,

Nice find.

Frank Centofante really was a great knifemakers, but an even greater man. He was on the board of Directors of the Knifemakers Guild for 20 years, and many years as the President. He had a presence about him that was reassuring and calming. He was Spyderco's Quality consultant for many years and would fly into Golden regularly to work with our factory.

We still use his saying, "If you can't see the difference, you can't do the difference". It's a major part of our manufacturing training in Golden. He was also close with Bob Terzuola.

Frank designed a number of knives for Spyderco and we still make some of them. Royalties for his work goes to his wife Sue.

The knife you have was one of his best designs. Frank invented the "Secur-lock" that you see. We patented the locking mechanism and made it for years. Vince Ford was the factory manager at the time and he did the engineering on the lock. It was a difficult knife to make. Tolerances were very close. Mike Vallencamp (Fox knives USA) was also part of the manufacturing team back then. The quality of the knife was very good, especially for the time.

Hope that helps.

sal
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

Thanks bengaiser, as far as I can tell this piece retains papers and original components as confirmed me the original owner, but all information and opinion on it is welcome.

Thanks Sal, your answer gives me a lot of first hand information on the creción and history of this piece and more importantly, on its designer, the great Frank Centofante.
It is also a pleasure to read your words, your creations are today the most satisfying me.
Hidden behind the weight of your own brand Spyderco you are one of the best creators and developers of knives, making the expected year after year the arrival of the new annual catalog is a dreamful time are accomplished, thanks for all that.

Jorge Fanjul.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for your kind words Jorge.

sal
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

That Centofante has always been one of my favorite Spyderco's that I never owned. I just love the blade's lines and how slim it is when it's closed. Frank really worked some magic getting the Spyderco hole on a blade so slim without a hump.
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

It is a knife that joins the masterful design Centofante and best of Spyderco, has been a windfall for me to get it after all these years it has ceased production.
Now I am looking for a C22 Michael Walker (CX06) or C22 CF ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I especially love the "big Brother" of the C-25 Centofante model>> and that being the C-50 model. It's one Spyder that I very much want in plain edge and Spyderedge both. Actually I want them as EDC working blades so I would even take them used if I could find them.

The C-25 and C-50 both are excellent candidates for a super SPRINT RUN. Both models are extremely functional and fit most pockets very well. Another classic in the GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS 1998-2003.
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

I just received one of these. The one I have has the writing with "Foriegn" spelled incorrectly. The clip itself is black. Is this black clip original to this knife? The only pic I have seen is a silver colored clip in Spydiewiki.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

euphorbioid wrote:I just received one of these. The one I have has the writing with "Foriegn" spelled incorrectly. The clip itself is black. Is this black clip original to this knife? The only pic I have seen is a silver colored clip in Spydiewiki.
Hard to say for certain. The 2nd Generation C25 was in production for a number of years. In my experience Spyderco's Japanese makers have not always used clips in FIFO order. So, unless you are the original owner or the clip is obviously newer than the knife, it can be very difficult to be 100% certain whether a clip is original to the knife it's mounted on.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

There is a video on the Spyderco Source C25 page that has a black clip on a Centofante2 that is identical to mine. I feel much better now.