Help getting a utility edge with the sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tja

Re: Help getting a utility edge with the sharpmaker

Post by tja »

Just thought I'd report in and say thanks (again) to everyone for all the help! I'm not quite there yet, but I feel like I'm getting closer: definitely better than from when I first posted, and the tips shared have definitely helped. Esp. the bit about keeping the rods clean and using light pressure =) Watching Sal's video again also helped as I was able to match try to match the pressure used via the audio of the video.
chuck_roxas45

Re: Help getting a utility edge with the sharpmaker

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

tja wrote:Just thought I'd report in and say thanks (again) to everyone for all the help! I'm not quite there yet, but I feel like I'm getting closer: definitely better than from when I first posted, and the tips shared have definitely helped. Esp. the bit about keeping the rods clean and using light pressure =) Watching Sal's video again also helped as I was able to match try to match the pressure used via the audio of the video.
Using the sharpmaker is really not rocket science. The most crucial aspect of it is that your bevel is equal or more acute than the setting you're sharpening on. For instance, if you sharpen at the 20 dps setting, it would be quite a lot faster if your bevel angle is less than 20 dps or you'll end up having to remove a lot of steel.
HarleyXJGuy

Re:

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Surfingringo wrote:Hi Tja, I can get all my knives to push cut paper, whittle hair and even break a hanging hair off of the brown stones. I credit part of that to Chuck_Roxas advice and video of him achieving those results. Lol, I thought he was fibbing at first but now I realize he had just practiced a lot. And, what do you know, after a lot of practice I can do the same. Funny how that works. ;) . Keep at it.

Fwiw, I recommend getting the diamond stones. They make it a lot easier to set a perfectly apexed primary bevel. That's the key to everything. From there it's really pretty easy. Just watch your angles and finish with a light touch.

Personally, I like to set my primary bevel at 30 degrees and then add a very light microbevel at 40, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. Enjoy the process.
I know this is an older post but I must have missed this before. Video you say?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.