First Taichung Knives & Blade Stamping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

First Taichung Knives & Blade Stamping

Post by RamZar »

Which Spyderco model came out first from the Taichung factory (not Taiwan in general but the Taichung factory)?

Was it Sage 1 in 2008 followed by Sage 2 in 2009?

Also, it looks like sometime in 2010 the blades started to be stamped with Taichung/Taiwan whereas before that it was just saying Taiwan?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
DutchBlades

Re: First Taichung Knives & Blade Stamping

Post by DutchBlades »

I believe the Spyderco Mule was the first to roll out of the Taichung plant back in 2007.
And yes, before 2009 they just said "Taiwan" as far as I know.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As I posted in your other thread, the Sage 1 was the first from Spyderco's maker in Taichung. It came out in 2008. Next ones from them IIRC, were the Terzuola Slip-It, Sage 2, Chokwe, and Gayle Bradley. I don't own the last two, but I can say for certain that early specimens of the Sage 1, Sage 2, and Terzuola were just stamped Taiwan. Pretty sure early Chokwes and Bradleys were stamped that as well. IIRC, the Taichung factory asked permission to add the city name to their tang stamps to avoid confusion with Spyderco's other Taiwan maker after the fiasco with that maker's Cat and Chicago, so it could have been added some time in 2010.

DutchBlades wrote:I believe the Spyderco Mule was the first to roll out of the Taichung plant back in 2007.
Pretty sure the MT-18 was the first Mule made in Taiwan.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Deacon wrote:As I posted in your other thread, the Sage 1 was the first from Spyderco's maker in Taichung. It came out in 2008. Next ones from them IIRC, were the Terzuola Slip-It, Sage 2, Chokwe, and Gayle Bradley. I don't own the last two, but I can say for certain that early specimens of the Sage 1, Sage 2, and Terzuola were just stamped Taiwan. Pretty sure early Chokwes and Bradleys were stamped that as well. IIRC, the Taichung factory asked permission to add the city name to their tang stamps to avoid confusion with Spyderco's other Taiwan maker after the fiasco with that maker's Cat and Chicago, so it could have been added some time in 2010.

DutchBlades wrote:I believe the Spyderco Mule was the first to roll out of the Taichung plant back in 2007.
Pretty sure the MT-18 was the first Mule made in Taiwan.
Thanks. Appreciate it.

Note: I created this thread today at 10:22am PT and your response to that other thread was at 11:00am PT.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I can confirm that the first run of Gayle Bradley folders were just marked Taiwan. Mine didn't even have the Bradley logo on the blade.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

yablanowitz wrote:I can confirm that the first run of Gayle Bradley folders were just marked Taiwan. Mine didn't even have the Bradley logo on the blade.

Nine is the same as yours, no label and just marked Taiwan.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My Sage 1, Sage 2, Bradley folder, and Chokwe are all marked "Taiwan" only.
:bug-red-white
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

gbelleh wrote:My Sage 1, Sage 2, Bradley folder, and Chokwe are all marked "Taiwan" only.
You got these in the 2008-2009 time frame?
remnar

Post by remnar »

yablanowitz wrote:I can confirm that the first run of Gayle Bradley folders were just marked Taiwan. Mine didn't even have the Bradley logo on the blade.
My Gayle Bradley has the logo but only says Taiwan.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

RamZar wrote:
gbelleh wrote:My Sage 1, Sage 2, Bradley folder, and Chokwe are all marked "Taiwan" only.
You got these in the 2008-2009 time frame?
I bought those all around May 2010. Not sure exactly when they were made though.
:bug-red-white