Paramilitary 2 v Yojimbo 2 - which would you choose?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Paramilitary 2 v Yojimbo 2 - which would you choose?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Which would you choose between a PM2 and Yo2 and why?

Both s30v.
Bill1170

Re: Paramilitary 2 v Yojimbo 2 - which would you choose?

Post by Bill1170 »

For what purpose?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

All sorts, general EDC utility for me - but I'm asking what YOU would choose!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Para2. I like the belly and grind better. And I tend to not buy knives designed for killing people ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

For a general purpose knife I would choose the Paramilitary 2 every time over the Yojimbo 2. There is nothing wrong with the Yojimbo 2 but it is a purpose designed knife for self defense. That doesn't mean it isn't well suited for other tasks but in my opinion it is limited by its design to be a do everything knife. My Paramilitary 2's on the other hand have worked good for all the tasks I have asked them to perform, were they the perfect knife for every task, no but they worked well. Some of the tasks my Para2 has been used for have included, processing wild game, breaking down cardboard, opening packages, general camp tasks, assistance with meal prep camping, tree branch removal, cutting Cat5e cable and the list goes on.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

para 2, I like the oversized hole more. & my only yo 2 (cf/s90v) isn't as smooth as my blk/blk para2. + the belly on the p2 is nice for dec purposes.

Though I really do enjoy my yo 2, so if the blade shape suits you, don't let it slip by!
Last edited by Bradley on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Para2

More well rounded blade shape for a variety of cutting and I prefer full flat grinds. I do love and carry wharncliffe style blades but if I could carry only one knife I would leave the wharncliffe at home. I most often carry a para2 and back it up with either a delica4 or a centofante4 and then I believe I am approaching EDC perfection.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

In that case I choose the PM2. Its blade shape is more versatile for the general utility tasks I ask of it than a wharnie.
LC Kid

Para2 Rules!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

EDC wise the Para2 is light years better over the Yojimbo2. :cool:

Para2 is a superb multitask / multipurpose designed blade, while Yojimbo2 is a last resource SD blade. :spyder:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Both are great, but I prefer the Para 2 for general EDC use.
:bug-red-white
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Yo2 for me. The Para2 is a fine knife and one I often recommend, but for me, it's never truly won me over for one reason or another. The Yo2, on the other hand, is great. I find it opens even easier because the heft of the blade allows it to flick more easily. It's more compact handle and lack of a finger choil are pluses for me. There are times the blade shape of the Yo2 are advantageous and other times where the PM2 blade shape would be preferred. For most people, I'm sure the leaf blade shape is the better one for EDC.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Para 2 for overall versatility. Having said that, the yo2 is a brilliant design. Ergos are fantastic and I have never had another knife that was such a joy simply to open and close. But for day in day out usefulness it's the pm2 by a mile.

Edit: ummm, this thread is almost a full page long. Am I really the first person to tell you to get both!? You guys are slipping!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A drop-point is pretty unflappable in it's performance. A wharnie offers greater penetration and more aggressive draw/snap cuts though as the tip has essentially negative angle built into the design. That can in theory make it more fragile though.

Something to consider as well is the Yo2 is a bit wider and certainly more aggressive looking.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I don't own either but I find the para2 to have a blade shape size not far enough from what I own for me to have any interest in it. On the other hand, the Yo2 is something I'd really love to try.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Both aren't my cup of tea, but you won't go wrong with either of them.
The only drawback of the Yojimbo is that the wharncliff blade is not particular useful to cut on a flat surface.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You just need to know now to use it and the Yo 2 can be used for practically anything the Para 2 can be used for.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Para 2 if I could only have one, but they're both awesome knives...

SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

I love the YO2 and am not particularly fond of the PM2 (sacrilege, I know). I've got 3 PM2s and rarely carry them. Why? Well, honestly, I'm not really sure. It just doesn't appeal to me and I don't care for it as a daily user. That said, chalk that opinion up to simple personal preference and not much else.

My favorite user was my LW Manix 2 w/S110V until I got the KW exclusive YO2. It won me over really fast and now sees more pocket time than any other knife that I own. I can't disagree with those who mention the blade on the PM2 being more appropriately designed for multiple cutting tasks yet I haven't found a cutting task where I can use a PM2 and can't use my YO2. The Wharncliff blade has always been a favorite of mine and the way that Spyderco implemented it on the YO2 is fantastic.

Despite the design intent of the YO2, it is a very fine EDC that carries well and can accomplish every thing that I need it to do.

:)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SaintlyBrees wrote:.............................................................................................................................
Despite the design intent of the YO2, it is a very fine EDC that carries well and can accomplish every thing that I need it to do.

:)
That ^^^^^^^

And AFAIK self defense is included in general purpose :D
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

Id go PM2.

Simply for the fact that it looks less threatining, and I think I would prefer that blade shape. Probably will retain its value better given the huge demand.
The Official, Unofficial Gayle Bradley Picture Thread!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65859" target="_blank