Delica 4 Issues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
suv44

Delica 4 Issues

Post by suv44 »

Hi,
I purchased a brand new Delica 4 a few months ago.It was razor sharp. I tested it on paper when I got it, and I only used it once. I cut some cardboard boxes.It got dull after a few minutes of use.I was disappointed, but that was not the worst part. I closed the knife and tried opening it. but it wouldn't lock. I either got a defective knife or a fake. I bought the knife at a very popular, recommended site by knife enthusiasts. I won't mention it here. It was not from ebay.
Cujobob

Re: Delica 4 Issues

Post by Cujobob »

Could some foreign object be caught in it and preventing it from locking? If you're ever in doubt, you can send it into Spyderco and they can check it out, and if it is indeed fake the retailer would have to then be contacted.

A knife can seem really sharp at first and lose it's initial sharpness quickly if there's a raised burr on the edge. I don't know the likeliness of that happening from a knife sharpened by a powered setup in this environment, but it's one explanation.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum, suv44.

Cujobob makes a valid point about the lock. It sounds like maybe a piece of debris (such as pocket lint) is lodged in the locking mechanism. I would inspect this first and if you see some crud built up in the lock, gently dislodge using a toothpick or you could also blow it out using an air compressor.
As for the blade dulling with cutting the cardboard and paper, I must admit this doesn't sound at all unusual (especially assuming your Delica has VG-10 steel). Cutting cardboard is tough on nearly any steel (even "super" steels). This is why many knife knuts and custom knifemakers use cardboard to test their blades. I agree with sending it to Spyderco for a review if you sense something is faulty. Regardless of what happens, they can resharpen your blade for the cost of postage.
suv44

Post by suv44 »

I contacted the retailer and they told me to contact Spyderco. I'll be doing that and see if they can help.
Also, I checked the locking mechanism with a flashlight, and I don't see anything stuck in there. It doesn't lock anymore.
The blade is VG-10.
Holland

Post by Holland »

The blade from the factory can sometimes have a weak edge. Cut the edge off and resharpen it, should be fine. The lock might have something stuck in it or the second screw from the pivot could be way to tight.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would call the factory outlet in the morning. Ship it over for them to look at. Assuming it's real, with a proper edge it should be able to process a few boxes while staying quite sharp. The lock is a disconcerting problem tho.

Best of luck!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never heard of a Spyderco Backlock that did not function. I have owned some other manufacturer's knives with lockbacks that did not function. I would send it off to the factory and then report back to us what the issue was. It still may have something from your cardboard cutting, like tape, stuck to the back of the lock bar that you cannot see. The back lock is a simple design but not simple to fit.

As to the blade sharpness, as has been pointed out, cardboard (and fish) is hard on a knife and there are different kinds. Some kinds have small bands or threads inside and really abuse a blade.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Suv,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your frustration. If you can get the knife to us, I'm sure Charlynn will take good care of you.

sal
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I have been browsing the fake market attempting to spot all of them for the last year so you guys could know if a knife you had doubt about had actual chances of being a fake. I can tell for sure I haven't seen any delica being sold by the chinese market during that last year. I can't tell for thing produced before that could have been "dormant" somewhere, but at least I can say they are not being mass sold anymore if they ever existed.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
suv44

Post by suv44 »

I've been in contact with Charlynn, and I'm going to send it to her. I appreciate the quick response