My DragonFly2 Salt has what appears to b cracks in the blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: My DragonFly2 Salt has what appears to b cracks in the b

Post by Surfingringo »

spyderHS08 wrote:Just curious as to what happens if it is in fact counterfeit upon observation of sal and crew? Is spyderco entitled to keep it as a fraudulent product, and will weetoots have to file a claim with amazon or does spyderco go after the seller somehow?
Interesting questions but we have zero information so entertaining all the "worst case scenarios" is an effort in futility. I am sure that Spyderco has a list of procedures on how to handle this and i am 100% confident that at the very top of that list is "taking care of the customer". Sounds like Weetoots and Sal have got this one under control. :)
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

spyderHS08 wrote:Is spyderco entitled to keep it as a fraudulent product ...
It isn't that trivial.

What you have would be a claim of warranty fraud, Spyderco is entitled legal protection from warranty claims which are based on misrepresentation of the product/contract however no sane company would ever take that kind of extreme action in this case. If Spyderco determined that it was a fake then most likely they would simply note that, the individual, their contact information and then return it. It would not be overly sensible to try to make a case for fraud because of both the direct expense and the fact there might not even be any malice. How would you feel for example if Spyderco actually did this and then you bought a knife from a reseller and it had a warranty issue. Would you risk having a fraud claim brought against you? If Spyderco was really aggressive in that manner then it would likely have an obvious impact on reselling.

Given the efforts that people are putting into fraud on the manufacturing side, it is getting really not trivial for people to know what is a Spyderco product and what isn't. In you look on YT there are even examples of people with a long history of knife reviews who have gone as high as reviewing a knife as a Sebenza which turned out to be a simple made in China knife which was just represented as a Sebenza.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I see three possible explanations here:

Sal himself has said many times that "pobody's nerfect", so the knife could be genuine and the blade cracked, in which case I'm sure Spyderco will replace it.

H-1 does scratch a lot easier than most other steels Spyderco uses, so the knife could be genuine and the blade merely scratched, in which case Spyderco will return the knife to weetoots with a letter to that effect.

I'm fairly certain there has been at least one instance where Amazon was shown to have purchased and sold a batch of counterfeit Spyderco knives, so the knife could be counterfeit, in which case "cracked or scratched" becomes a moot point. I can see several possible ways it might be resolved, but all of them would result it weetoots being made whole, either by replacement of the knife or refund.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
weetoots

Post by weetoots »

Doc Dan wrote:These are most likely scratches that you, or someone else, inadvertently got on the blade while using the knife and did not notice them. The fact that they are parallel also speaks to that. H1 scratches if you look at it wrong. In other words, it scratches very, very easily.
Gee Doc Dan, before your throw out all of your suppositions, please don't say that I might be blind, lend my knife to some careless fool and if it was damaged, I might not notice. "The fact that they are parallel also speaks to that". Duh, that sentence does not hold water. The only way to make a "scratch" perfectly parallel would need to use a straight edge.

My eye is a lot closer to the blade than your dream of what you are seeing. I'll wait for the owner of the company to have his say.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Maybe Sal will post some pics of it! Lol
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Cliff Stamp wrote: Would you risk having a fraud claim brought against you?
I think you misunderstood me, I know spyderco won't go after the one that purchased the product in good faith thinking it's real ( being me or weetoots) I was asking about the seller of the product if it was in fact fake, if anything happens to them? So that we can somehow keep it from happening in the future to another fellow spydie lover.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

spyderHS08 wrote:...

I was asking about the seller of the product if it was in fact fake
Same thing, it is a fraud claim. However you have to realize that the laws in the US are not the same as the laws everywhere else. It isn't illegal in many places to simply copy a product. The seller here can simply claim they were defrauded as well and you can end up chasing down a deep rabbit hole. The only one really likely to benefit are the lawyers.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
spyderHS08 wrote:...

I was asking about the seller of the product if it was in fact fake
Same thing, it is a fraud claim. However you have to realize that the laws in the US are not the same as the laws everywhere else. It isn't illegal in many places to simply copy a product. The seller here can simply claim they were defrauded as well and you can end up chasing down a deep rabbit hole. **The only one really likely to benefit are the lawyers.**

Now there's the truth!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

weetoots wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:These are most likely scratches that you, or someone else, inadvertently got on the blade while using the knife and did not notice them. The fact that they are parallel also speaks to that. H1 scratches if you look at it wrong. In other words, it scratches very, very easily.
Gee Doc Dan, before your throw out all of your suppositions, please don't say that I might be blind, lend my knife to some careless fool and if it was damaged, I might not notice. "The fact that they are parallel also speaks to that". Duh, that sentence does not hold water. The only way to make a "scratch" perfectly parallel would need to use a straight edge.

My eye is a lot closer to the blade than your dream of what you are seeing. I'll wait for the owner of the company to have his say.
Geez, you took that in the most negative way possible. I know that people often ask to use my knife at work and I'm usually so busy that I don't have time to closely inspect the blade when they hand it back. Nobody is calling you blind.

If you don't want suppositions (positive or negative), perhaps contacting customer service directly instead of posting on a public forum would solve that issue. Personally, I'd rather you post here so we know about potential issues, but people have to realize that will involve support both for AND against the case presented. Overreacting ("Are you calling me blind!?! ") to, what appears to me, an innocuous question to your post doesn't really get you anywhere.

Perhaps I'm just in a forum Inception and I'm just overreacting to your overreaction...;). Whatever happens, I'm sure Spyderco will take care of you if it's a manufacturing issue.
Last edited by jabba359 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

In regards to they can't be scratches because they are in parallel, a quick search of images will pull up knives which have similar issue s:

Note that while there are a bunch of minor scratches, there are three layers of deep scratches which very closely follow a similar curve. The reason this happens quite often is because if you cut into something which has random abrasive particles in it and you make a slice and you hit two different particles then you will get two scratch lines which run parallel to each other.

In some cases it is trivial to tell, the large crack is open, but imagine if it wasn't there and look at those two faint cracks. If they were just there on their own and had just started so you would not see them open up (a sign of cracks), they could look very much like scratches. The problem is that they won't polish out, scratches will.

Be interesting to know why a H1 blade which was not cracked suddenly decided to take multiple cracks with no loading at all though. That kind of thing can happen in traditional quench hardening on non-tempered blades, but H1 isn't hardened like that.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Well, I'm still interested in what Sal found out....
Holland

Post by Holland »

ChrisinHove wrote:Well, I'm still interested in what Sal found out....
Same
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE