Stripped the pivot screw on my Manix 2 . What now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

Stripped the pivot screw on my Manix 2 . What now?

Post by HorserloverFat »

In my ongoing quest to improve the troublesome BBL on my Manix 2 (G-10) I contacted Spyderco for advice. They stated that I should attempt to turn the pivot screw slightly with a T-8 . The screw turned fairly easily on one side, but when I attempted to turn it on the clip side of the knife it stripped. :(

I detect a slight change in the easiness of disengaging the lock now by pulling back the clear tabs, but it is not that significant. I'm not sure what is left to try other than sending it in to Spyderco.

Any suggestions?
Surfingringo

Re: Stripped the pivot screw on my Manix 2 . What now?

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm sticking with the advice I gave before. Send it in and have them take a look at it.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Send it in.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Are you saying the threads stripped or the head of the screw stripped?

Either way it's not the end of the world and can be fixed. If the head of the screw is stripped, I'd look into the quality of your torx bits and/or ensure you're using the correct size (though you mentioned size so you may have the right one). If you're not centered straight up and down into these tiny screws they're VERY easy to strip regardless of what you're using, but cheaper bits are often not quite the right size and in my experience can lead to stripped screws.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Evil D wrote:Are you saying the threads stripped or the head of the screw stripped?

Either way it's not the end of the world and can be fixed. If the head of the screw is stripped, I'd look into the quality of your torx bits and/or ensure you're using the correct size (though you mentioned size so you may have the right one). If you're not centered straight up and down into these tiny screws they're VERY easy to strip regardless of what you're using, but cheaper bits are often not quite the right size and in my experience can lead to stripped screws.
The head of the screw is stripped now. Perhaps this is owing to Loctite on the screw which I did not take into consideration. It was easy to loosen it on the opposite side of the pocket clip, but I just wasn't able to loosen it on the pocket clip side and accidentally stripped the head.

Dumb question : am I right in that it is lefty-loosey on both sides of the knife in order to loosen the pivot screw?

I used the T-8 in the Husky set per Spyderco employee in order to loosen it ...
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm sticking with the advice I gave before. Send it in and have them take a look at it.
I know ! I know ! :D

I should just bite the bullet and send it in ...
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

How stripped is it? Are there any teeth left at all?

If you want to keep going, you can file down the T-8 bit. (I use a Dremel)

If you look at the bit it is slightly tapered. If you file the tip down, it will make the bit slightly larger. If you're not comfortable, don't do it. Send it back. I'm sure it'll get fixed.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

swigert wrote:Send it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd71zO6XAC8" target="_blank
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

To be safe about loosening "loctited" screws, use heat to break the hold.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HorserloverFat wrote:
Evil D wrote:Are you saying the threads stripped or the head of the screw stripped?

The head of the screw is stripped now. Perhaps this is owing to Loctite on the screw which I did not take into consideration. It was easy to loosen it on the opposite side of the pocket clip, but I just wasn't able to loosen it on the pocket clip side and accidentally stripped the head.

Dumb question : am I right in that it is lefty-loosey on both sides of the knife in order to loosen the pivot screw?

I used the T-8 in the Husky set per Spyderco employee in order to loosen it ...
Yep, lefty loosy righty tighty. Also sometimes you have to snug down the first side again after breaking it loose to allow the opposite side to loosen or the pivot will just spin. This usually isn't an issue with pivot pins since they're usually D shaped but not always.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I remember someone mentioning putting some thin plastic (like one side of a Ziploc bag) between the stripped head and the Torx bit to make it a little snugger. Never tried it myself, but worth a shot? Or perhaps try using the very next size bit up... Or just send it in! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I remember someone mentioning putting some thin plastic (like one side of a Ziploc bag) between the stripped head and the Torx bit to make it a little snugger. Never tried it myself, but worth a shot? Or perhaps try using the very next size bit up... Or just send it in! ;)
You can also use super glue to glue the torx bit to the head of the screw.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:To be safe about loosening "loctited" screws, use heat to break the hold.
That. I use a propane torch for one or two seconds and the loctite is history. (Obviously, try not to disfigure the scale while doing this. ;) )
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I just put it under a lamp. It gets hot enough and is a bit safer.
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Or a hair dryer/ heat gun.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you own a soldering iron, that's my preferred method as you pin point exactly where the heat goes.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

aquaman67 wrote:How stripped is it? Are there any teeth left at all?

If you want to keep going, you can file down the T-8 bit. (I use a Dremel)

If you look at the bit it is slightly tapered. If you file the tip down, it will make the bit slightly larger. If you're not comfortable, don't do it. Send it back. I'm sure it'll get fixed.
Negative. I stripped all of the teeth on the head. The Husky set sure is crappy. Yeah, I guess I'm just gonna have to send it in ...

Thanks.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I remember someone mentioning putting some thin plastic (like one side of a Ziploc bag) between the stripped head and the Torx bit to make it a little snugger. Never tried it myself, but worth a shot? Or perhaps try using the very next size bit up... Or just send it in! ;)
I also read that a rubber band works ...

Thanks for the help.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Evil D wrote:If you own a soldering iron, that's my preferred method as you pin point exactly where the heat goes.
Thanks all , but I had better not try to tinker with it using any more tools. I should just quit while I'm ahead and leave it alone for now. :D

Planning on sending it in ...

Thanks again.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

araneae wrote:Or a hair dryer/ heat gun.
How about a axe ? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b72I7TwsvBE" target="_blank