Emerson Wave Fans: Emerson Patent and more

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Emerson Wave Fans: Emerson Patent and more

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

For fellow fans of the Emerson Wave Opener, here is the official US Patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/US5878500" target="_blank

" US 5878500 A
Abstract
A folding knife that is self opening when removed from a container such as a holster or pocket. The knife includes a handle and a knife blade with the blade hinged to the handle for folding from an extended, use, position to a stored position in a slot in the handle. A pin is formed on the knife blade adjacent to the hinged end, extending away from the blade when the blade is folded. When the knife is pulled from a container, the pin will snag the container just before the knife is fully removed, causing the blade to unfold to the use position. Preferably, the pin is hook-shaped with an end extending along the blade towards the blade tip. A releasable locking arrangement to lock the blade against folding while in use and for releasing the blade when desired for folding is preferably included.
"

I like the Spyderco Emerson wave Endura and Delica: They are two of the best Spyderco knives in my opinion.

I also mentioned in another post that I would try to find the US patent for the laminated titanium-carbon steel knife blades: here it is:

https://www.google.com/patents/US525649 ... CB8Q6AEwAA" target="_blank

" Titanium-steel laminate knife
US 5256496 A
Abstract
A titanium-high carbon steel laminate composed of two outer layers of titanium with the steel in the middle. The steel being heat-treatable to very high hardness and the outer titanium layers providing strength and corrosion resistance. The laminate is bonded together by a brazing process. The brazing or filler material may be of various compositions. This laminate is invented for the purpose of knife and similar cutting tool manufacture.
"

Question for Sal or anyone: Please take a look at the titanium-steel laminate, and tell me what you think of it, as far as its ups and down sides go, for production knives. Would this make a good folder or fixed blade?
Holland

Re: Emerson Wave Fans: Emerson Patent and more

Post by Holland »

Ti lamination is very interesting! I looks forward to hearing more about it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bill1170

Re: Emerson Wave Fans: Emerson Patent and more

Post by Bill1170 »

The titanium lamination will be lighter weight than an all-steel sandwich of the same thickness. Depending on the cladding alloy, the steel sides might be stronger than titanium.