Brown G-10 Stretch "Test Model" observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

For myself as a Stretch fan, the sooner the better.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tap78 wrote:Any update on this one? When it will be released? I want it badly :) )))
I'm looking forward to this one as well, but based on Sal's comment on 7/5 that they were just beginning to tool up for them, I'm guessing that it will be six months to a year, or longer, before we see them hitting the shelves.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Thanks Deacon, now I should be more patient...
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Hey Paul, I'm curious if you're trial with the new Stretch included the pocket clip since I've seen your posts saying you always remove them and carry inside your backpocket (which I've found to be good advice.)

I carry my zdp Stretch clipless and I've grown accustomed to the thin grip. I just took my clipped vg10 version out of the box and the pivot area seems relatively wide and cumbersome. In my medium/small hands, a deeper choil might be handy with the added width of the clip in my palm. I don't have much more to add, just a thought.

p.s. just looked back and found your quote about the clip in hand so my question's answered but I still thought I'd weigh in (also did you try using the new one clipless as well?)
The Deacon wrote: One final observation - I'm not sure how folks who are right handed and set their knives up for RH/TU carry stand the clip when they're cutting. Mounted that way it served fairly well as a finger rest when I was cutting left handed, but when I tried a few cuts right handed the **** thing was digging into my palm like crazy.
Duke
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Buendia518 wrote:Hey Paul, I'm curious if you're trial with the new Stretch included the pocket clip since I've seen your posts saying you always remove them and carry inside your backpocket (which I've found to be good advice.)

I carry my zdp Stretch clipless and I've grown accustomed to the thin grip. I just took my clipped vg10 version out of the box and the pivot area seems relatively wide and cumbersome. In my medium/small hands, a deeper choil might be handy with the added width of the clip in my palm. I don't have much more to add, just a thought.

p.s. just looked back and found your quote about the clip in hand so my question's answered but I still thought I'd weigh in (also did you try using the new one clipless as well?)
Hi Duke, I left the clip on because I did not want to tinker with a knife that was not mine. However, other than when I set up that shot to show the relative exposure of it and the current versions when carried tip up, I carried it loose in my pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Thanks for the pics and thoughts, Paul, you did an excellent job as always to convince me that I really need a Stretch.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Axlis wrote:Thanks for the pics and thoughts, Paul, you did an excellent job as always to convince me that I really need a Stretch.
He convinced me too; it's my most pocketed knife. I'm not sure I'll buy the next iteration but I'm sure to a new user it will be an excellent knife.
Duke
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth."
Brock O Lee

Re: Brown G-10 Stretch "Test Model" observations

Post by Brock O Lee »

Bumping this for an update?

I have grown surprisingly fond of my Superblue Stretch (my first Stretch) in the last few weeks. In pictures it always looked slightly odd, but now that I have used one for a while I "get it". It's a hair more comfy in my hand than **gasp** the PM2, and the blade thickness, actually lack of thickness, and shape is very useful. Definitely plan to buy the new ZDP G10 version.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Brock O Lee wrote:Bumping this for an update?

I have grown surprisingly fond of my Superblue Stretch (my first Stretch) in the last few weeks. In pictures it always looked slightly odd, but now that I have used one for a while I "get it". It's a hair more comfy in my hand than **gasp** the PM2, and the blade thickness, actually lack of thickness, and shape is very useful. Definitely plan to buy the new ZDP G10 version.
ZDP G10 version Stretch !!! Did I miss something ? I kick myself almost everyday for not purchasing the discontinued CF ZDP189 Stretch so a ZDP189 G10 Stretch should heal my frustration.Second to superblue, ZDP189 is my favorite steel.Please tell me it's a bombshell !
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I guess it was a bombshell back in May... :)

Here's the original thread:
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 10+stretch" target="_blank
Hans

Divo

Re:

Post by Divo »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote: It's nice looking, I like the little more belly and the extra handle length...but not being a fan of choils, I'm not overly thrilled by it. I gotta say I'd love to see a completely choil-less version of the Stretch. I would probably be set for life...
Everyone have own preferences but the Stretch I consider as a multipurpose edc knife with a very versatile blade. Such a knife needs a choil.

I like the Stretch but I'm not a fan of the used lock.
Last edited by Divo on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

Is this model scheduled for production? That may be my perfect Spyderco
sal

Post by sal »

It is scheduled for production.

sal
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

sal wrote:It is scheduled for production.

sal
I've really been waiting and looking forward to this one!

Can we please have a hint as to which quarter it might be shipped? Q4 2014 or Q1,2,3 2015? :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
sal

Post by sal »

When I know, you'll know.

sal
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

By "production" do you mean limited production (Sprint), or regular full production? I think this thing would be full production worthy.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I'm anxious to see if it will kick my FRN ZDP Stretch to the curb. I'm very much looking forward to this knife. My guess is somewhere around the middle of next year, which is fine. I can live with green till then.
sal

Post by sal »

It is scheduled for regular production to test the changes. If accepted, then we'll tool up for an FRN version. The longevity of the G-10 version will depend on sales after the FRN version comes out.

sal
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

sal wrote:It is scheduled for regular production to test the changes. If accepted, then we'll tool up for an FRN version. The longevity of the G-10 version will depend on sales after the FRN version comes out.

sal
That is absolutely fantastic!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thanks for the update Sal.
Hans