Spyderco Knives in Australia, Tasmania, and NZ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Knives in Australia, Tasmania, and NZ?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Question to Spyderco enthusiasts and users in the Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania area: What are some of your favorite models, and generally how much do Spyderco knives over there cost, in comparison to USA, Europe, and the Northern Hemisphere?

Also, I was reading about attacks by salt water crocodiles, those are some huge and dangerous creatures, like here:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... ee1fe9f591" target="_blank

As an emergency edged weapon in case of croc attack, which Spyderco would you feel comfortable using in such a situation? PM? Military? Endura? Salts?
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Spyderco Knives in Australia, Tasmania, and NZ?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Update to that story:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... st-4401070" target="_blank
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Knife for a croc attack? I wouldn't want to fight an alligator with a knife. I would think a knife wouldn't be much good against a croc. I have seen crocs that weigh 2000lbs and are over 20 ft long. Curious to see what others have to say.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There was a guy in Florida years ago that saved himself from a huge alligator by stabbing it in the eye with his knife. I guess it is better to go down fighting than simply be gulped down.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Alligators and crocs are very different. I have spent a lot of time around alligators and very little around crocs but I believe they are very different. Alligators don't scare me much.

I agree 100% with the idea of going down with a fight. I will rip a crocs eyes out with my bare hands if I have to although I believe that this is slightly unrealistic.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

A gun.....
dirtpig67

Post by dirtpig67 »

Spyderco knives are relatively rare here in NZ. I don't think I have ever seen one in a store, but some of the online stores here carry them. I personally carry a Sage 2 everyday. Most of the people who use knives a lot (like farmers) use fixed blades in a belt sheath opposed to folders for the most part.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, we do not have Crocs. in N.Z. thankfully.
In Australia, the lower limit is just North of Brisbane. saying that, we had a small one leap out of the water between our kayaks in the Brisbane river near the town center early '80s. They can and will, leap out of the water vertically their whole length, to grab prey. Not to be trifled with, as they will wait and watch someone or thing, to come down to the same place twice, then be waiting to grab/drag into water. VERY fast. They will look just like logs/drift wood lying on mud banks, then explode into action. Essentially they have not changed/improved over millions of years. Got it right the first time. Protected by Government laws since about 1975 as prior to this, Croc skins were big business for hand bags etc. Were shot at night with spot light as their eyes glow bright red. Usually shot with a .22 rifle in the eye or baited with a big hook chained to a big tree.
Spyderco knives are available in N.Z. from some of the larger outdoor stores. Also from some of the few speciality knife stores. Rather expensive due to lower value of N.Z. dollar and G.S.T. tax @15%. Adds up very quick. For price comparison, google wwwtrademe.co.nz to get a idea of availability/prices. Trademe is kind of Fleabay NZ. Hope this helps. P.S. it is illegal to carry ANY knife in a public place without a VERY good reason. Common sense does not apply with Law Enforcement any more. E.g. a Butcher theoretically can not come around they counter into the public area of a shop with his knives. This WAS a example used in Parliament in 1987? when law was passed. (I carry any way, just use common sense.)
Last edited by kiwisailor on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
kiwiian

Post by kiwiian »

Until fairly recently knife laws and the ability to import them have been somewhat vague or inconsistent in AUS. I have hade a little luck importing a tenacious and a spydercard, but others have spydies seized by customs. There was a blanket ban on these type of knives but they were not illegal. The gov has started to allow knives in now but to import they must be given a clearance cert , this has been a slow process but a good range of spydies are now available. zen imports are the local agent and a PDF of legally available spyderco knives is available on their website. I got my camo PM2 last week for AUS $200 and am waiting for my Full black PM2 AUS $225. Stock is limited and they get snapped up quick, two months wait for the full black PM2. Expensive I know but When buying through a local retailer I don't have to worry about the inconsistent customs staff. Unfortunately each state has differing knife laws and police are not very up to date with recent law changes. As usual the intent of the knife user is what dictates police attitude to carrying a knife. In NZ TRADEME is the best source of spydies. A small country with a limited market, but we are a very outdoors people so lots of water and bush sports involvement, have used a harpy on the boat since it was first released and always have a delica on me. Never had any problems with police, once again intent of use is the key.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

When i went to Australia (melbourne area) i visited a dozen outdoorshops but no spydie's insight.. Then again australia is a huge place :p.
Compared to Europe. I think it is not any better or worse. I live in belgium and i only know 3 shops who sell spyderco's in my tiny little country.
And only 1 of them is worth the travel. the other 2 have like 2 or 3 spyderco's max.
It makes me insanely jealous thinking about it when i hear all of you guy's tell about youre local knife/gun shops :( wish they were here to even though my wallet is happy about it that they are not XD
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

i was told by my retailer that Zen Imports was expecting a shipment in November (i have a camo/black PM2 and Damascus Delica on order). Hopefully they have come in early!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kiwisailor, Iwiian, and Sucksqueezebangblow,

Welcome to our forum.

It seems knife laws are in a constant state of flux everywhere in the world. I guess fear is the prime mover? (one runs faster from the bear that towards the ice cream cone). We are constantly involved in some design modified to serve a particular country's new laws.

The new Spyderco "Roadie" is an attempt at a socially friendly politically correct "portable edge" that is good quality steel, sharp, non-locking, two hand open and comes in colors.

The desire for a crime free world by the powers that be, however noble, clearly demonstrates ignorance of the real world.

On crocs; Gail and I were on a kayak going down the upper Zambeze river in Zimbabwe. We overturned the kayak in the rapids. Our guide, stood up with his gun and told us to wrap our arms and legs around the kayak and he'd tow us to shore to re-embark. I asked why we had to wrap our arms and legs around the kayak? He said, "so the crocodiles will think you are part of the kayak". Needles to say we were one with the kayak. It's a good thibng we went to the croc farm for demos after the river incident. I question whether or not a knife would be a good tool to defend against a large crock.

sal
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

A Spyderco bought here in Australia can cost up to double the USA price, dependant on model.
A recent example for me is a Manix 2 Translucent blue CTS BD1 without box like new for $150. au
A Yojimbo 2 new, $250. au
On Crocs. A mate & I went out to hunt one back in our teenage years. He wanted a skin. After getting out on the water in the boat, with the gun & realizing the situation we would be in if we actually shot one. Well we went back to shore, packed up & went home.
O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:A Spyderco bought here in Australia can cost up to double the USA price, dependant on model.
A recent example for me is a Manix 2 Translucent blue CTS BD1 without box like new for $150. au
A Yojimbo 2 new, $250. au
On Crocs. A mate & I went out to hunt one back in our teenage years. He wanted a skin. After getting out on the water in the boat, with the gun & realizing the situation we would be in if we actually shot one. Well we went back to shore, packed up & went home.
O.
Hey Brother you deeply disappoint me :rolleyes: I thought you were a hard core fan of the C-44 Dyad??? You've chimed in on every C-44 Dyad thread I ever did :cool:

But seriously you guys from down under Austrailia, New Zealand and anywhere in that part of the globe are some of my favorite Spyderco Brethren :) You guys and my dear friends I've made in the Netherlands sure are dedicated considering the premium prices you all have to pay to get good Spyderco blades shipped your way and you all seem extremely passionate about the hobby as well.

But can you talk up the C-44 Dyad Sir :rolleyes: Because I know that's one of your all time favorites.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Way back in my croc hunting days, such as they were we did not have a C44 Dyad.
NOW ! if'n we did my whole story might have been different. I think we had some old butchers knife.
A stainless steel ought six might have been better than the old Greener 12g SxS double, loaded with buck shot.
Oh & by the way; The knife that I would use in case of croc attack... NOOOooo ! Keep out of the water !
My C44 Big Dyad cost me $250 au. Costs me $90 from empty to fill the petrol or gas tank on my 6 cyl Ford. So things are relative I suppose.
O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:Way back in my croc hunting days, such as they were we did not have a C44 Dyad.
NOW ! if'n we did my whole story might have been different. I think we had some old butchers knife.
A stainless steel ought six might have been better than the old Greener 12g SxS double, loaded with buck shot.
Oh & by the way; The knife that I would use in case of croc attack... NOOOooo ! Keep out of the water !
My C44 Big Dyad cost me $250 au. Costs me $90 from empty to fill the petrol or gas tank on my 6 cyl Ford. So things are relative I suppose.
O.
I understand Brother :) But you did have my curiosity going because in the past you've always been a huge fan of the C-44 Dyad as I'm sure you still are ;)

And I totally, 100% agree with you "croc fighting" method of just simply staying out of the water :eek: Your fellow countryman i.e. the late Steve Irwin ( GOD rest his soul) is one of the only humans I know that could play with salt water crocidiles and come out alive to tell about it. But he knew how those creatures were going to react and learned his skills from his wonderful father many years ago. Not to mention his awesome snake handling talents :eek: .

You know I'm sure that many of the guys and gals not in the USA or Canada truly pay a dear price for Spyders out of the country. I probably do take things for granted here in the good ol USA. But let's hope that changes sometime in the future and the markets will drive the prices to an affordable level.

If I were in a situation to defend myself from a potential croc attack I would probably elect to use a fixed blade like a Temperance 2 model or maybe the old KUMO model from years gone by. But like you yourself said>> just stay out of the water where those bad boys congregate. I've heard that our American alligators don't hold a candle to those salt water crocs. Not to mention all the extremely venomous snakes you have in your great country. Good to hear from you ( O just O) :)