Best EDC Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: Best EDC Spyderco?

Post by mb1 »

I have an answer based on my own personal experience coupled with countless hours of Internet research and note taking. Ready?

A big one and a small one. Both in fixed and folder. So now you're up to a 4 blade rotation. If the fever spikes, you will either go bigger AND smaller, OR...iterate the whole collection in either your favorite color, handle material, or blade steel.

So now your 4 will become either 8, 12 or 16. You get the idea.

Boom. Done. And warned!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

mb1 wrote:I have an answer based on my own personal experience coupled with countless hours of Internet research and note taking. Ready?

A big one and a small one. Both in fixed and folder. So now you're up to a 4 blade rotation. If the fever spikes, you will either go bigger AND smaller, OR...iterate the whole collection in either your favorite color, handle material, or blade steel.

So now your 4 will become either 8, 12 or 16. You get the idea.

Boom. Done. And warned!
My brain hurts.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

the only one i can say is my best edc ever. Is my Techno.. for me it has it all. :)
In the future i will even buy a spare. But first i have a few others to catch ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Different knives for different times of carry. In among the favorites lately are: Manbug, Endura, Manix 2, and Delica.
- best wishes, Jazz.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Knutty wrote:Asking "What Spyderco should I buy/carry?" is equivalent to asking "What's your favorite Spyderco?"
Exactly. It all depends on what blows your hair back. For urban EDC, I like a modest size, a thin blade, a pointy tip, lightweight, thinnish handled, fairly smooth textured, classy looking knife that fits well in my short-fingered chunky hand. Out of the current lineup, the Centofante 3 wins, hands down. By such a large margin that if I could only have two Spydies, I'd likely just buy a spare ... But I'm not the typical user, because the Centofante isn't one of the more popular knives. My all-time favorite, the Centofante 4, was even discontinued.

For rural EDC, I might pick something a bit bigger and beefier. For wilderness EDC, I generally carry a Mule with a back up folder or two.

Gordon
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gaj999 wrote:
Knutty wrote:Asking "What Spyderco should I buy/carry?" is equivalent to asking "What's your favorite Spyderco?"
Exactly. It all depends on what blows your hair back. For urban EDC, I like a modest size, a thin blade, a pointy tip, lightweight, thinnish handled, fairly smooth textured, classy looking knife that fits well in my short-fingered chunky hand.
I know exactly the right blade for you>> The description you gave matches up with the legendary J.D. Smith model from years gone by. However if you're stuck on Centofante's work I would recommend the classic C-50 Centofante.

Two other classics I would recommend you to try would be the CHOKWE model as well as my beloved Sprint G-10 Ayoob model.

There sure is a lot of Brothers who love the 3.5 Caly and I completely understand why>> however I'm a bit surprised that none of you picked the original C-54 Calypso which is the granddaddy of all of the Caly and Caly Jr. blades. It's really interesting to see how Spyderco's product evolution has ramped up over the years. Great Thread!!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Office type work? Chaparral

Work requiring a stronger knife (Chaparral is no whimp though)? Techno or GB depending on blade length I'd say. Many others but these will do about anything IMO. If you are in an office a lot and need a stronger knife too get all of them. Whatever you do don't buy a Delica. :)

Jack
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Endura/Stretch/Delica/Dragonfly/Man/ladybug

Pick the size that suits your needs best. They are all good or they wouldn't be on the market but Spyderco has most needs covered with a model. It's best to go by what needs you see yourself doing mostly and choosing the correct tool from the line. I always EDC an Endura but often carry others along with it, plus have some where needed ( living room, kitchen, etc. ) It's difficult to go wrong with an Endura, Delica, Para 2, Millie or Stretch.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Native5 and Caly3.5
xceptnl wrote:every Spyderco lover (user or collector) should have at least one Delica.
Landon,
I know there are many people , who share your opinion. I just never understood why? If you would say that any Spyderco lover need to experience Delica, I certainly would agree with you, but own? Without of doubts, Delica is very significunt knife in Spyderco line-up like several others. I used to own six Delicas in different times: SS SE, two of sprint Blue ZDP and three with Damascus blades. I carried and used two of them. Sold all six them. IMHO, Delica is a great starting knife: good performer and affordable. But there are quite a few a little more expensive Spydercos, which in my opinion perform better. Like Calys, which you mentioned. Also I strongly prefer EDC with finger choil. So if I have few Calys, what do I need Delica for?
Roman
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:Native5 and Caly3.5
xceptnl wrote:every Spyderco lover (user or collector) should have at least one Delica.
Landon,
I know there are many people , who share your opinion. I just never understood why? If you would say that any Spyderco lover need to experience Delica, I certainly would agree with you, but own? Without of doubts, Delica is very significunt knife in Spyderco line-up like several others. I used to own six Delicas in different times: SS SE, two of sprint Blue ZDP and three with Damascus blades. I carried and used two of them. Sold all six them. IMHO, Delica is a great starting knife: good performer and affordable. But there are quite a few a little more expensive Spydercos, which in my opinion perform better. Like Calys, which you mentioned. Also I strongly prefer EDC with finger choil. So if I have few Calys, what do I need Delica for?
Roman
Roman, Thank you for shedding light on my comments. Your suggestion is closer to the point i was trying to make. IMHO, the Delica 3 was a superior knife to the newer 4th Generation. I always prefer tip up so that was never a benefit of the 4th in my eyes. The linerless configuration of the 3 (much like the Caly Jr.) makes it strong enough for EDC uses and allows a slight weight advantage to the last generation. I share your love of the 50/50 choil and I like to think most users do enjoy the choil, but for new users especially, it is a preference decision that only can be made by that user. Bottom line is that it should be experienced before writing it off. The sheer sales figures alone would likely suggest that many people prefer the delica (possibly a value decision) to some of the more elite EDC choices.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5
Sage 2
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I fell for the "everybody must have a Delica" argument years ago. It just doesn't fit my hand. I really miss a pronounced finger choil. On a Delica, seems I'm always gripping the knife waaaay back, making tip control a little more difficult.

Prefer Caly 3 and Dialex Jr.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Bolster wrote:
Prefer Caly 3
Must......resist.......so........much......pressure....
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I own and use both Delica( ZDP189,VG10,superblue) and Caly3/3.5(VG10,ZDP189,superblue).The idea of a finger choil is overrated IMO.When you just hold the knife with a finger choil in your hand it gives you the sense of ergonomy but in the real world the ricasso of the Delica/Endura is just as usefull as a finger choil.More than 80% of my cutting chores just need a gorila grip or an advanced saber grip with the thumb pressing on the spine of the blade.Delica is a great EDC and I like the old school spydie Delica/Endura/Para/Military modified leaf shape blade more than the spear-like leaf shape of the Caly/Manix models.In a stabbing motion I find it more usefull.Not to mention a stabbing motion in reverse grip.A Caly 3.5 in reverse grip is almost useless from my experience.I only wish they release a Delica with G10 handle and the old school pointy tip a la Delica 3.
It would be also great if they improve the blade/handle ratio(a slightly longer blade; maybe 2,95 inch).Even so, I looooove my Delica in superblue.These days, is my most carried folder and it even kicked out my small Sebenza insigno if you can imagine !!!.It's just a better slicer and an overall better EDC.The Delica(smaller)/Para2(larger) combo is the best EDC option IMO.
endgame

Post by endgame »

cali 3,pm2,manix 2those are in a 3 way tie cause it all depends on my location for the day on wich one I bring.for fixed blade it the street beat just a all around perfect bladr size ,style,and blade
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sage 3.

Stretch.

Or a Dragonfly with a larger knife, like a Manix 2 (or PM 2).
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Caly 3.5, all day long and twice on Sunday...after hearing about the contractor who beat the Caly 3 senseless and it never backing down, I have nothing to hold back recommending this knife.

close honorable mention is the Endura.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

elena86 wrote:The idea of a finger choil is overrated IMO. When you just hold the knife with a finger choil in your hand it gives you the sense of ergonomy but in the real world the ricasso of the Delica/Endura is just as usefull as a finger choil...
Politely but emphatically disagree. Too easy for the finger to slip forward off the Delica's ricasso, which is not designed to retain the finger. You can do it, obviously, but it involves risk that is mitigated with a deep finger choil.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The best EDC Spyderco is to carry two Spydercos. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Rule #9

Post by Rule #9 »

Asking "which Spyderco is best?" would be equivalent to trying to demystify existence or figuring out the duality of man. It will blow your mind.