Sal, please offer Sage1 stealth wire clips for larger knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Sal, please offer Sage1 stealth wire clips for larger kn

Post by TomAiello »

DansGunBlog wrote:
v8r wrote:... I carry a full size 1911 on me at all times as well.
LOL where the heck do you comfortably keep a full size 1911? I have still not found a truly comfortable way to carry my own favorite Glock 19 in my pants that doesn't feel like, well, jamming 2 pounds of plastic and steel into your pants. A Remora/sticky holster is probably the closest, but still. Which is why I'm seriously considering the very impressive new Glock 42, even though I prefer to stick with 9mm (not a caliber snob, just like to standardize for practical purposes). Fingers crossed, perhaps we'll see the long awaited single stack 9mm Glock 42 by SHOT 2015, now that they've had time to debug the design with the .380.
Try a Kahr. My PM9 is very easy to carry, and it has a matching Spyderco model, too. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I front pocket carry either a pf9 or lcp depending on the pants.

Back to clips. I prefer the regular hourglass clip for edc but I swap almost all of mine to black clips because I prefer black clips. I also don't prefer deep carry for edc because I find having a small amount of the knife sticking out makes drawing the knife from the pocket so much easier. That said, my sage 3 finds it's way into my pocket when wearing slacks because the deep carry wire clip rides very well and looks very good and very discreet in that scenario. I do not dress up very often so this only on special occasions. I do edc my sage 3 on regular jeans or cargos type of days as well because it is such a great knife. I carry it exclusively when dressed up though. I am a blue collar worker and carrying a pocket knife never raises any eyebrows in my daily life. I carry a knife a lot while fishing and hiking and stuff like that and would always want the added retention of the hourglass clip in those situations. To sum it up, for me wire clips are great for dress attire and gents folders and if I worked in an office then maybe then too but for my edc needs and my hobbies the standard hourglass clip (in black) works better and provides more retention and thus better piece of mind.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Studey

Re: Sal, please offer Sage1 stealth wire clips for larger ki

Post by Studey »

sal wrote:Hi Dan,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the suggestions.

Engineering a design to accept both a stamped clip and a wire clip is challenging, but we can consider the possibility on future mpodels.

sal
Sal,

Could the slots be milled in the handle just below the three hole pattern? My thinking is that you can use the hourglass clip, or similar, and if you want to use the wire clip, you switch out the hourglass clip for a plate that is screwed down onto the three hole pattern to secure the wire clip.
Last edited by Studey on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Studey

Post by Studey »

DansGunBlog wrote:
v8r wrote:... I carry a full size 1911 on me at all times as well.
LOL where the heck do you comfortably keep a full size 1911? I have still not found a truly comfortable way to carry my own favorite Glock 19 in my pants that doesn't feel like, well, jamming 2 pounds of plastic and steel into your pants. A Remora/sticky holster is probably the closest, but still. Which is why I'm seriously considering the very impressive new Glock 42, even though I prefer to stick with 9mm (not a caliber snob, just like to standardize for practical purposes). Fingers crossed, perhaps we'll see the long awaited single stack 9mm Glock 42 by SHOT 2015, now that they've had time to debug the design with the .380.
I carry a CCO with no issues. As mentioned, the thinness of the slide helps a lot. A good belt and holster make all the difference. NOT my normal load out, but I was demoing this at this weekends gun show. It can be done pretty easily. http://instagram.com/p/uWDJ4CQlRH/" target="_blank
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

@v8r @TomAiello @bearfacedkiller @Studey

Guys, started a separate topic for the handgun / Spyderco pairing talk, so the focus of this thread stays on the clips. :-)

Here's the link for the new thread.

If you'd like to copy/post your comments from here into that topic, we can share more there.

Thanks!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
RobC2

Post by RobC2 »

Does anyone else have issues with the clip sometimes rubbing your steering wheel getting into the car? I carry right front pocket and my cars are sporty with side bolsters. I find the wire clip is probably the best for this as it slides a little rather than digging in.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

RobC2 wrote:Does anyone else have issues with the clip sometimes rubbing your steering wheel getting into the car? I carry right front pocket and my cars are sporty with side bolsters. I find the wire clip is probably the best for this as it slides a little rather than digging in.
I've noticed a few scrape marks on my steering wheel from the clip, but I attribute that more to my obesity than the fault of the clip :). On my Tundra, I always raise the steering column to its highest position and have no issue, but my Prius just doesn't allow as much room (and the seat of course is lower) so I've sometimes scratched either the car paint near the door, or the steering wheel, while entering the vehicle. And yes the wire clip is less problematic for me in this regard, but my real solution will be to lose weight :).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am very thin and I drive a full size truck and I have never had my clip come near my steering wheel and don't think it ever will. It may be the car vs truck thing. In a truck I slide down off of my seat as opposed to stepping up out of it. Opposite when entering I step up into my seat as opposed to bending down to get into it. My wife has a pathfinder and I suppose her seat is just about even and I just get in and out fairly even without having to step up or squat down. Not sure how to explain it better than that but I believe the height of your seat is the determining factor here.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

dogrunner wrote:... It is about conspicuousness - a shiny metal clip draws the eye and attracts attention. I don't want the fact that I have a knife clipped in my pocket to be that in your face. Stamped black or non-reflective clips are definitely an improvement over polished reflective clips, but a solid clip is still a higher contrast object compared to a flat, non-reflective wire. I just don't want to advertise the presence of the knife, not so much hide one via deep carry.
Exactly, Dogrunner.

This is mostly about conspicuousness, and the best way to reduce conspicuousness in already available / purchased knives via a new clip designed and sold separately with this in mind, so we can add it to our existing knives and the others already on the market. (esp for the Tenacious line, and the other clip design that fits the PM2/Manix/etc.).

While I like the Dragonfly/Chaparral/Sage, I don't like being limited to them to be low profile. :-)

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
Pyrite

Post by Pyrite »

I like the wire clip. Only have this one.
I made it from a Native wire clip that I bent in a U-shape AND IT DID NOT BREAK!

I don't use deep carry for concealment but for retention as it is less likely to catch on things or work its way out of the pocket when moving around.