Bolt-Action Lock for Spyderco Knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Bolt-Action Lock for Spyderco Knives?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Without mentioning actual company names, over the years, there have been knife makers who made and sold bolt action type locks, that had a sliding bolt on the side of the folder. Has Spyderco ever experimented with this system, or, would it be good for Spyderco knives, or not?
3rdGenRigger

Re: Bolt-Action Lock for Spyderco Knives?

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Sage 3 uses a bolt action lock...or are you referring to some sort of exterior bolt?

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=23" target="_blank
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SpyderEdgeForever

I was referring to an exterior bolt, yes.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I've never seen such a device...any example you could refer us to? It sounds to me like it would be more bulky and therefore more prone to failure being exterior mounted, but I'd have to see an example to formulate a better opinion.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SpyderEdgeForever

Okay, I may be wrong in my analysis, but, do you remember the Gerber-Meyerco Bolt Action folding knife?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Meyer ... action.jpg" target="_blank

Could Spyderco make a knife that has this form of lock, but, the hole in the blade and other Spyderco stylings? Or would it be worth it?
timlara

Post by timlara »

Here is a thread where Michael Janich explained why the bolt action lock on the Sage 3 was purposely NOT implemented like the Gerber ones. (not ambi-friendly)

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... er#p933641" target="_blank
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Okay, I may be wrong in my analysis, but, do you remember the Gerber-Meyerco Bolt Action folding knife?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Meyer ... action.jpg" target="_blank

Could Spyderco make a knife that has this form of lock, but, the hole in the blade and other Spyderco stylings? Or would it be worth it?
Yes, you are wrong in your analysis. The Sage 3 uses the same Blackie Collins designed bolt action lock as that Gerber/Meyerco. The only difference is that the Gerber and Meyerco versions only had only one elongated release button, making their locks handed, while the Sage 3 has a round release buttons on both sides, making it equally easy to use with either hand. The actual mechanics of the locks are identical, the Spyderco implementation is simply more user friendly to a wider audience.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wouldn't think that any more bolt actions are coming. The sage series is meant to showcase and pay tribute to the people who have designed locks for folding knives. The bolt action lock designed by Blackie Collins was the predecessor of the axis lock and cbbl. Spyderco has their own cbbl and in use the three are almost exactly the same. I would imagine that they would continue to use their own design in their knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

That, and I don't get the impression that the Sage 3 has been a great seller, at least not going by the lack of love it gets on the forums, anyway. I personally love mine and think it's one of the top 5 Spydies of all time, but it seems like it just didn't attract as much attention as the Sage 1 or 2.
Holland

Post by Holland »

timlara wrote:That, and I don't get the impression that the Sage 3 has been a great seller, at least not going by the lack of love it gets on the forums, anyway. I personally love mine and think it's one of the top 5 Spydies of all time, but it seems like it just didn't attract as much attention as the Sage 1 or 2.
I like the sage 3 and would have bought one if it was the same size as the rest of the sages. The extra height bothers me haha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

timlara wrote:That, and I don't get the impression that the Sage 3 has been a great seller, at least not going by the lack of love it gets on the forums, anyway. I personally love mine and think it's one of the top 5 Spydies of all time, but it seems like it just didn't attract as much attention as the Sage 1 or 2.
I wonder if sales have improved due to the scale change? The blue is...polarizing. I agree though, a phenomenal design overlooked by many unfortunately. Going to pocket mine now, actually.
bearfacedkiller

I love my sage3. Truly exceptional fit and finish. Smooth as glass.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I wouldn't think that any more bolt actions are coming. The sage series is meant to showcase and pay tribute to the people who have designed locks for folding knives. The bolt action lock designed by Blackie Collins was the predecessor of the axis lock and cbbl. Spyderco has their own cbbl and in use the three are almost exactly the same. I would imagine that they would continue to use their own design in their knives.
I had never considered this. I always thought of the BBL and the bolt lock as two separate designs, not as one being the evolution of the other. The thing is, I prefer the bolt lock on my Sage 3 to the BBL on my Manix 2 mostly because of the lighter spring pressure on the bolt and the easier-to-grip thumb studs. I can see how the BBL could be a more reliable and durable lock, but I'd really like it if it were as easy to use as the bolt action lock.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote: Spyderco has their own cbbl and in use the three are almost exactly the same. I would imagine that they would continue to use their own design in their knives.
They are almost exactly the same in operation, and similar in concept, but the mechanisms certainly differ between the three. The CBBL/BBL designs certainly have their advantages, but I agree with PayneTrain that the bolt action is easier to disengage. My Manix XL is just as smooth as my Sage 3, but I can't disengage the lock with one finger. On all my CBBLs I have to grip both sides to disengage.
bearfacedkiller

I agree. My sage3 is absolutely amazing in every way and the ease of deployment is one of the ways. I think the studs on the sage3 are easier to use and the spring is a little softer. Maybe that is because the manix is designed for harder use but I really don't know. The only thing I can find wrong with my sage3 is that it cannot be disassembled. You can remove the scales but that is about it.
-Darby
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The only thing I can find wrong with my sage3 is that it cannot be disassembled. You can remove the scales but that is about it.
Sure it can be! I don't know that I would mess with mine, but I enjoyed watching these videos:

bearfacedkiller

Wow, he likes to hear himself talk. That video really shows what a complex and strong design the sage3 is. The tolerances have to be so tight for a knife that complex to have the near perfect fit and finish that mine has. I have never handled a knife so smooth. It opens with zero resistance, has no blade play in any direction and the lock is so easy to actuate. It truly is an armchair flippers dream. Mine is ground very thin behind the edge and the s30v is spot on. I actually hate tip up carry and love full thumb ramps and normally they are both major factors for me but the first time I handled a Sage3 I walked out with one and I almost never impulse buyer. I think it is a killer value at its price point.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Wow, he likes to hear himself talk.
LOL, no kidding!

I totally agree on how unbelievable the tolerances are on the Sage 3 considering how complex the machining is. Mine is absolutely flawless as well. Hats off once again to the Taichung factory. They really know what they're doing.

The nature of the lock also seems like it would hold up very, very well to wear and tear. Just a genius design.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I agree. My sage3 is absolutely amazing in every way and the ease of deployment is one of the ways. I think the studs on the sage3 are easier to use and the spring is a little softer. Maybe that is because the manix is designed for harder use but I really don't know. The only thing I can find wrong with my sage3 is that it cannot be disassembled. You can remove the scales but that is about it.
I think it's because the nature of the locks. Check out the pics of them on Spyderco's website. The BBL/CBBL is relying on that spring tension to keep it in place. If the spring tension were to be removed while the lock was engaged, a "closing force" would squeeze the ball, which has the potential to squirt it out the back. A strong spring prevents this. However, on the bolt action lock, once the bolt is in place, any closing force would only result in squeezing the sides of the bolt, and this has no risk of pushing the bolt backwards. Thus the bolt action lock only needs enough spring tension to engage the lock.

I've never taken any of these apart, just making some deductions based on those pictures I linked to. Also, I would think that Spyderco is aware that the CBBL is harder to disengage, and would not have left it like that without good reason.
computernut

Post by computernut »

I have both the G10 and CF Sage3 and I love the lock on them. They are a wide knife which is one reason I don't carry them as much but they are very smooth knives and feel great in the hand.