Peel-Ply scales v.s Smooth

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Peel-Ply vs. Smooth scales

Poll ended at Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Peel-Ply
53%
Smooth
47%

Total votes: 45

PayneTrain

Re: Peel-Ply scales v.s Smooth

Post by PayneTrain »

GoldenSpydie wrote: I hope this can help!
Yes, very much so, thank you! Gosh, my collection suddenly became stale. Now I have two new reasons to buy more knives: peel ply CF and smooth G10!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Let me answer this in parts. :)

Yes, for example, the S110V Native 5 used peel-ply CF, as did the S90V Yojimbo (shown below). As for smooth G10, it is used on the Des Horn as well as the Persians and a few other models.
Actually on Red sprint Persian had polished G10 scales. Persian2 had peel-ply G10 and original Persians had black micarta scales.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I like both textures but I think one suits better a type of knife than the other. I vote peel-ply just because Spyderco doesn't release more knives with the CF of the sprint Dodo, which is my favourite finish.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

When I got my first Spyderco, a hollow ground Manix 2, I was a little put off by the sandpaper-like texture of the G-10 and the uncomfortable liner jimping, especially on the top. I quickly stopped noticing the rough G-10 and am now ambivalent about the liner jimping. I like knives that are mostly smooth behind the thumb ramp like the Millie, Para 1, and Yojimbo 2.

When I got my second one, a CF Caly 3.5, I was disappointed that the CF was totally flat and smooth. From the pictues, I was expecting it to have large smooth bumps from the CF fabric pattern. Congitive dissonance quickly set in as usual, and I loved it for its great ergonomics. It fits the hand so well, I have never thought its slickness might make me drop it. I like the CF on the S90V knives but it's very similar to G-10 in roughness, maybe a little finer but more grippy.

Bottom line, it looks like I would favor something less gritty but with bolder smooth texture like I assume the Dodo must have (I handled one a year ago but forgot what the texture was like, and I can't really remember what the Taiwanese CF feels like either).

Thirty seven knives later I still have only a couple of smooth ones, so I voted for peel ply, but in truth I favor something in between. I really like the texture on these Halpern flat (option 5) natural G-10 scales, which feel like smooth peel ply:

These scales are a little thinner too, so, with a minimal sheath like this one, the mule is quite pocketable in a pants or inside coat pocket.

This is a little off topic, but I'm including this picture to point out that I find the less grippy texture of the older FRN pattern on the Native more comfortable than the aggressively grippy pattern of the Delica.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sorry I'm a little late to the party but I did vote for the "Peel Ply" carbon fiber handles. Albeit I did like the original glossy carbon Fiber handles from the mid 2000s which I still think are a bit more pretty from a collector's standpoint.

One of my biggest regrets in my sales and trades of Spyders were my two Carbon Fiber Harpy models (PE & SE). Those were two my all time favorite user Hawkbills. I do wish that they would make a Harpy with a Peel Ply handle/scales or would at least do a Sprint Run of them with G-10 scales.

I admire and love Carbon Fiber's ability to sustain nasty environments and extremely rough usage if not just down right abuse. But no matter either way because CArbon Fiber may be the best all around scales in the industry when you look at it from different angles.

One of my most favorite knife companies which runs a distant third from Spyderco are the Swiss made Klotzli models and many of their top of the line models have Carbon Fiber handles. Actually they do a better job with CF more than anyone I've seen and have a wide array of CF colors too.