Manix 2 G-10 Spring Still Too Stiff After 6 Months

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

Manix 2 G-10 Spring Still Too Stiff After 6 Months

Post by HorserloverFat »

I received a Manix 2 G-10 with the clear buttons in April and it is still hard to pull the tabs after 6 months. The spring feels much stiffer than the spring on the Manix 2 XL with black buttons that I bought 1 month ago. The XL appears to have broken in, while the smaller Manix 2 still feels the same as the day that I received it. I don't want to whine, but it is really tearing my finger and thumb up. :eek: The skin has actually split on the tip of my finger now. And this makes me not want to carry the smaller Manix 2, but reach for the XL instead.

Does anyone happen to know if the spring on the Manix 2 with clear buttons is stiffer than the spring on the XL with black buttons? And what can I do about this once and for all? Would loosening the pivot help? Or is this just an issue of a much stronger spring?

Thanks in advance...
Surfingringo

Re: Manix 2 G-10 Spring Still Too Stiff After 6 Months

Post by Surfingringo »

If it's really stiff to the point of not being functional, I would send it in and have them take a look at it.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Surfingringo wrote:If it's really stiff to the point of not being functional, I would send it in and have them take a look at it.
Its functional, but man is it much harder to disengage the Manix 2 with clear buttons than the XL with black buttons. I'm wondering if it is an issue of a stronger spring in the smaller Manix 2 G-10? Or if it is attributable to something else such as the pivot?

I'm going to see if anyone has a remedy. If not I will take your advice and send it in.

Thanks, Surfingringo. Hope that things are well with you...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know what's up with the springs they use but I too have had varying degrees of stiffness in the 4 Manix 2's that I've owned. My current lightweight version is quite easy to operate and can be unlocked with just my thumb (albeit with considerably strong thumbs).
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Evil D wrote:I don't know what's up with the springs they use but I too have had varying degrees of stiffness in the 4 Manix 2's that I've owned. My current lightweight version is quite easy to operate and can be unlocked with just my thumb (albeit with considerably strong thumbs).
I hear ya : this one is tearing up my finger. It has actually split open near the tip. The XL can be operated with just my thumb.

Do you recommend anything to alleviate this such as loosening the pivot? I know ! I know ! I'm still going on about this knife that you were helping me with back in April... :o
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I don't think it has anything to do with the pivot. I'm guessing either the spring itself is too stiff or more likely the spring or plastic is catching on something that is adding resistance. Either way, its probably going to require some disassembly to get to the bottom of it.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have 4 versions of Manix 2 and one version of XL. All of mine are stiff and take thumb and finger to operate. One of the 2's is significantly harder to open than the others, not because the spring is stiffer but it feels like there is some friction that has to be overcome before the ball will move. I have not tried any lubrication on it yet.

I've read about the "locks loosening with use" and I never understood howthat would happen. The spring will not get any softer with use, but maybe some of the friction would be reduced. I have noticed mine changing any at all with use.

I have wondered how the Manix would work with a much softer spring, like the Axis lock. I have to trust that Spyderco made it stiff for a reason. Since I learned how to open the M2 with thumb and finger I don't worry about it because it is very easy for me to operate. I've owned knives with the Axis lock and they were easy to operate too, I'm not sure if I would consider there to be much practical difference for me in the 2 lock types.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Surfingringo wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with the pivot. I'm guessing either the spring itself is too stiff or more likely the spring or plastic is catching on something that is adding resistance. Either way, its probably going to require some disassembly to get to the bottom of it.
I may disassemble it myself..

I was just handling the XL ; it is so much easier to operate. :cool:
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

bdblue wrote:I have 4 versions of Manix 2 and one version of XL. All of mine are stiff and take thumb and finger to operate. One of the 2's is significantly harder to open than the others, not because the spring is stiffer but it feels like there is some friction that has to be overcome before the ball will move. I have not tried any lubrication on it yet.

I've read about the "locks loosening with use" and I never understood howthat would happen. The spring will not get any softer with use, but maybe some of the friction would be reduced. I have noticed mine changing any at all with use.

I have wondered how the Manix would work with a much softer spring, like the Axis lock. I have to trust that Spyderco made it stiff for a reason. Since I learned how to open the M2 with thumb and finger I don't worry about it because it is very easy for me to operate. I've owned knives with the Axis lock and they were easy to operate too, I'm not sure if I would consider there to be much practical difference for me in the 2 lock types.
The Manix 2 (regular/smaller) with the clear buttons is quite difficult to disengage. I'm really taking to the XL though...
paladin

Post by paladin »

As an option, if you haven't tried it yet, try opening the blade to the extent to which the spring is compressed to its maximum compactness, scotch your blade open with a towel or such, leave it like that for a day or so...

It may fatigue the spring to the point to which it becomes more user friendly...

May not help, but it couldn't hurt-- plus it won't void your warranty :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HorserloverFat wrote:
Evil D wrote:I don't know what's up with the springs they use but I too have had varying degrees of stiffness in the 4 Manix 2's that I've owned. My current lightweight version is quite easy to operate and can be unlocked with just my thumb (albeit with considerably strong thumbs).
I hear ya : this one is tearing up my finger. It has actually split open near the tip. The XL can be operated with just my thumb.

Do you recommend anything to alleviate this such as loosening the pivot? I know ! I know ! I'm still going on about this knife that you were helping me with back in April... :o
Man at this point, if you've lubed the cage and are sure it isn't dragging or anything, I'd call up Spyderco and see what they can do about it. There isn't really that much breaking in with this particular lock.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

paladin wrote:As an option, if you haven't tried it yet, try opening the blade to the extent to which the spring is compressed to its maximum compactness, scotch your blade open with a towel or such, leave it like that for a day or so...

It may fatigue the spring to the point to which it becomes more user friendly...

May not help, but it couldn't hurt-- plus it won't void your warranty :eek:
Yeah, I asked for opinions on this method before, but no one seemed too keen on it. However, I think that I will try it as long as it doesn't hurt as you stated : http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=64861" target="_blank

Thanks...
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Evil D wrote:
Man at this point, if you've lubed the cage and are sure it isn't dragging or anything, I'd call up Spyderco and see what they can do about it. There isn't really that much breaking in with this particular lock.
Agree with this :)

My cruwear Manix took about a week to break in and now it works very nicely.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

I just received the replacement via Amazon with black tabs. It is easier to operate than the one with clear tabs , but I don't believe that the lockup is as strong. However, the blade centering appears to be off somewhat...

I will give another report after carrying it for a while. Thanks.
aeroworks

Post by aeroworks »

Old thread but My blurple manix 2 is amazing but the lock is stupid how hard it is to pull back. A raised button on the lock cage made of metal with super sticky jimping would be preferred.. but reducing sping weight is the easiest thing to do.

I pulled mine apart and snipped off 1 coil of the spring. I am able to unlock the blade with one thumb like any other knife out there with this lock type. But it's not loose or too weak where it would cause any lockup issues. not even close.
Spyfan

Post by Spyfan »

I’ve always used the finger and thumb together to close them. I have 5 Manix knives and it’s not a problem if you do it from both sides, absolutely love the Manix series.
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

Does any one know where we can similar size springs with lighter compresion? Better than messing with the factory's.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Compressing the spring for 24 hours by leaving the blade half open isn't going to do anything. If that amount of strain actually causes plastic instead of elastic deformation in the spring, there's something wrong with the spring and you can expect an early failure.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

bruce91748 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:46 pm
Does any one know where we can similar size springs with lighter compresion? Better than messing with the factory's.
I understand where you're coming from, but I found it simpler to modify the factory springs on three different Manixes. I can do that in half an hour, rather than disassembling the knife, measuring the spring, ordering a replacement, waiting for delivery, then reassembling. My thoughts are that if I jack up the spring, THEN I can order a replacement.

I could be wrong, but I'd bet that Spyderco buys these springs off the shelf. And if that's the case, you can probably find exactly what you need from McMaster-Carr.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I cut off two full circles from the lock spring with a Victorinox Spirit to bring it down to a very easy level.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10