All three Chinooks! (finally)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

All three Chinooks! (finally)

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Hi everyone!

Today I received a Chinook 1. I have had a 2 and 3 for quite a while, but the 1 was never to be found for a reasonable price. When I saw this like-new, CC# 383, 440V beauty pop up as a BIN for a very reasonable price, I couldn't resist.

Now the lineup is complete!

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking! :) :spyder:
VashHash

Re: All three Chinooks! (finally)

Post by VashHash »

I've been looking for an original chinook at a decent price for awhile. Love my Chinook 2 but now you need to get one of the VG-10 Protos to really complete the collection.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Congratulations on the find. :) Great looking group.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I didn't know there were different generations and wow, the 1 is almost a whole different knife. I want to get one some day cuz of the blade shape and I think I'd go for a 3, but boy the extra meat on the handle of the 1 looks mighty comfy.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Achievement unlocked! Very good work there :D.
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

I like the clip placement on Gen 1 much better. Now, to go to evil pay an find one :)
Always looking for the right one :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Congrats! Those look like good all purpose and skinning knives.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Awesome! Great find!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys!

VashHash: yeah, I guess the VG10 protos are the ultimate grails...:D IIRC, only 50 were made?
v8r

Post by v8r »

GoldenSpydie,
I used to have all three myself, but sold off the 1 and 3. I feel the second generation with hollow grind and combo edge was by far the best.
I think once you use all three you will come to the same conclusion. The first generation while a beautiful knife, the tip down only carry killed it for me. The third generation with Flat grind for me was not a improvement in cutting ability, and in fact is thicker behind the edge than second model.
The second generation in my opinion is perfect. It has a very sexy shape, a very nicely done hollow grind, and with a combo Edge it looks plain all business( if you know what I mean). The Ergos on the handle are also perfect for my hand shape. The grip is also almost the exact same as the original C95 Manix as well.
If they ever do a sprint run of the first model drilled for tip up carry, I'll line up for one.

I don't know if DocSnubnose is still on the forum or not, but if I remember right he did cutting tests with all three models. During his testing he found that the second model seemed to perform the best out of The three models. Maybe you could do a search for the thread, it had lots of good info if it is still there.

Anyways great collection of some classics, and hope you enjoy them.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

GS that is a beefy trio of grails now firmly in your grasp. I enjoy the **** out of my PE Chinook 2. I agree with v8r, try them all and find your favorite.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Nice!

I don't think I've ever seen all three versions side by side in the same photo.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Amazing collection! Congrats!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks everyone!
v8r wrote:GoldenSpydie,
I used to have all three myself, but sold off the 1 and 3. I feel the second generation with hollow grind and combo edge was by far the best.
I think once you use all three you will come to the same conclusion. The first generation while a beautiful knife, the tip down only carry killed it for me. The third generation with Flat grind for me was not a improvement in cutting ability, and in fact is thicker behind the edge than second model.
The second generation in my opinion is perfect. It has a very sexy shape, a very nicely done hollow grind, and with a combo Edge it looks plain all business( if you know what I mean). The Ergos on the handle are also perfect for my hand shape. The grip is also almost the exact same as the original C95 Manix as well.
If they ever do a sprint run of the first model drilled for tip up carry, I'll line up for one.

I don't know if DocSnubnose is still on the forum or not, but if I remember right he did cutting tests with all three models. During his testing he found that the second model seemed to perform the best out of The three models. Maybe you could do a search for the thread, it had lots of good info if it is still there.

The Chinook 2 is definitely the best. The 1 is just too heavy with full liners, and tip-down only is sad. Since the Chinook was designed to be a heavy duty, MBC-type knife, I don't understand what advantage the 3's FFG would offer. That leaves the 2, and it is pretty much perfect, with skeletonized liners, 4-way carry, a prettier blade than the 1, and the "correct" grind.

I love those 4mm lock backs... :D Are there any others that I don't have yet? I have the Chinooks and the C95 Manix...what am I missing?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The first version is still my favorite. That said, I think it could of been improved on & still kept the same appearance. Member Wireedge has one that Tom Krein reground that is pure sweetness.
endgame

Post by endgame »

congrats I love the ffg on the s/e.this knife should come out for another run.maybe flipper frame lock ti.or a compresion lock.Damascus.I can dream!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Chinook 4 was in the works with a cbbl don't think it got to prototyping stage. Not sure if this is still going on because a lot of people myself included wanted it to say a backlock. Honestly keep it 4mm and go bigger I'd buy it even with a cbbl. I'm thinking 4" or better. Chinook isn't supposed to be on a diet.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Great trio! Did they all come in PE and CE? If so, you'll have to find 3 more :eek: :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Awesome score, GS. That is quite the trifecta! Your pics are also very nice. Thanks for sharing!
v8r

Post by v8r »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Thanks everyone!
v8r wrote:GoldenSpydie,

The Chinook 2 is definitely the best. The 1 is just too heavy with full liners, and tip-down only is sad. Since the Chinook was designed to be a heavy duty, MBC-type knife, I don't understand what advantage the 3's FFG would offer. That leaves the 2, and it is pretty much perfect, with skeletonized liners, 4-way carry, a prettier blade than the 1, and the "correct" grind.

I love those 4mm lock backs... :D Are there any others that I don't have yet? I have the Chinooks and the C95 Manix...what am I missing?
Just one more that I know of. Original C101 Mini Manix. I think that is it;)