Best EDC Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pdptrow

Re: Best EDC Spyderco?

Post by pdptrow »

Depends.
Out/ office Sage 1 or Delica.
Around the house PM2
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

For me? One of the dozen in my EDC rotation.

S35VN Paramilitary 2/Cruwear Manix 2/S110V Manix 2 lw/204P Domino/Super Blue Stretch/P'kal/Sage 1/S110V Native 5/S90V Yojimbo

Tedy

Post by Tedy »

Without doubt STRETCH. Fantastic ergonomics , fantastic cutting power, fantastic cutting edge to handle ratio. My favourite is carbon fiber zdp-189. One of the best production knife and very
underrated.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The PM2 is my favorite Spyderco for EDC, the Manix 2 would be second. I also carry a Gayle Bradley folder, a Vallotton, and a Military.

For the OP there are a lot of considerations- blade size, G10 vs. FRN, lock type, price range. I like blades in the 3.5" range, G10, any lock but a backlock, and $100 or a little over. So the PM2 hits every consideration. Depending on these considerations there are a lot of knives that we could recommend. Among smaller knives the Delica is a Spyderco classic, I think the Sage is interesting, and the Caly series is popular.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have to say that despite the vast array of knives that I rotate through in my week to week choices, but I always circle back to the Caly family. I would say any choice is a good one: Caly 3, Caly 3.5, or Caly Jr. I love my delicas and every Spyderco lover (user or collector) should have at least one Delica. The delica however falls short of the Caly line in my uses and experience. I would also give honorable mention (based on my use and taste) to the Manix and Military family. They may not be for everyone, but everyone should hold and use them before writing them off. Your mileage may vary.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5 nothing else even comes close.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am not certain if anyone has mentioned this yet, but a Delica would be a top choice for one pocket. :D

In the other pocket you should have a Dragonfly.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If you like backlocks I'd recommend a Stretch or Caly 3.5, if you prefer Frame/liner locks then these are good:
Domino is also great (slightly altered)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Caly 3.5 - the more evolved choice over a Delica...

And all the titanium, RIL and flipper action you'd ever want or need, either the Domino or its little brother the Dice are my top EDC choices.

My Southard, PM2, and Millie EDC alternatives just don't get the pocket time that's now dominated by the Domino (even knocked the Caly 3.5 off its high horse). The nice thing is about all this is that you can't really go wrong with whatever you choose (and you'll be back for another soon enough!). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have many of the knives mentioned in this thread, but the one that usually ends up in my pocket for EDC is the carbon fiber Chaparral.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
The Deacon wrote:My choice is the Stretch, it's one of the most compact 3.5" blade models that Spyderco offers, has superb ergonomics, and is hand neutral.
Hey paul, just curious, what exactly do you mean by "hand neutral"?
Simple Lance, it's really just another way of saying "fully ambidextrous". Walker, Reeve, and compression locks are all handed. They operate by moving a bar side-to-side, which inevitably favors one hand, usually the right, over the other. Same with push button locks, like those on many autos, that are mounted on only one side of the knife. Almost all of them "can" be operated with the "wrong" hand, but that's beside the point. The midlock and ball lock are hand neutral, as is Spyderco's implementation of Blackie Collins' bolt action lock. They do not favor one hand over the other and, when paired with an opener like the Spyderhole that's positioned so as to be equally accessible from both sides and a clip that can be mounted on either side, they produce a totally hand neutral knife.
Gotcha. I should have been able to figure that out but my mind was focused on other aspects of "ergonomics". I'm right handed but I'm a big fan of the back lock too. I often wonder why it doesn't get much love. Maybe because it's not as good for flicking and what not. I dunno, but Spydercos back lock is a great one in my book. Certainly my most used lock.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I can thumb flick almost every one of my back lock knives...there's just a different technique than with other locks.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5
tap78

Post by tap78 »

I think... the best edc spyderco knife could be pictured right there below ...

... or maybe not ;P

BTW I love them all...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I can thumb flick almost every one of my back lock knives...there's just a different technique than with other locks.
Yes sir, I can too. But though I can thumb flick my Pacific Salt , it's never going to fire open like a paramilitary or a Manix. I dunno, it's not a real issue to me as I feel silly opening my knives like that in public anyway. Its more about which one is better for fun on the couch and annoying my girlfriend. :)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Surfingringo wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:I can thumb flick almost every one of my back lock knives...there's just a different technique than with other locks.
Yes sir, I can too. But though I can thumb flick my Pacific Salt , it's never going to fire open like a paramilitary or a Manix. I dunno, it's not a real issue to me as I feel silly opening my knives like that in public anyway. Its more about which one is better for fun on the couch and annoying my girlfriend. :)
I feel the same way haha. I just feel like pointing it out when people say that back locks can't be thumb flicked open, because they absolutely can.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
remnar

Post by remnar »

I like the Caly 3, and the 3.5 isn't bad either. Actually, I can't even pick an EDC for myself so I don't know how helpful I can be to you.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

remnar wrote:Image[/url]
Non spydie comment, I find the anvil hold-downs very interesting.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Like has been said by many already it depends on what kind of knife you are looking for. Mostly in regards to blade length and lock type.

That being said and having no idea of what you have in mind I will go with..............wait for it........

Millie!

Or a Para 2, 110V Manix, Delica, Dragonfly 2, Domino/Southard, K2.

Just about to order my first SAK so I am with you on that point.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Asking "What Spyderco should I buy/carry?" is equivalent to asking "What's your favorite Spyderco?"

And then you get responses where the line between subjective and objective isn't just blurred, it's ignored completely.

My first thought when asked is that to even begin to answer, one would need to know what the blade length restrictions are. There is no point recommending a Stretch or a Whatever if your locality has one of those ridiculous 3" blade length restrictions in place.

(On another note, ^he owns an anvil?)