Best EDC Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RenzoRaptor

Best EDC Spyderco?

Post by RenzoRaptor »

I have been looking for a good knife to carry everyday. My Swiss Champ is good for most tasks but I need a better knife , not just a jack of all trades. I've asked my peers and they have been suggesting Tenaciouses to Delicas. I would like to ask, what do YOU think the ideal EDC Spyderco would be?

(Yes I know , this is subjective)
MacLaren

Re: Best EDC Spyderco?

Post by MacLaren »

For me:
1. Caly 3.5 VG10
2. Domino
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

So many thread on this. Please start by telling us what you plan to do with it, what are your preference for handle material if any, lock type, blade shape and grind, steel and how good you are at sharpening... Also name a price range

:)
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Yeah, definitely need more information as what a person cuts in a day varies...plus personal preferences (handle mats, blade length, etc.)

Some regular favorites: Caly (3 or 3.5), Delica (as a cheaper option), Dragonfly II (considered the perfect little big knife), Techno (my personal favorite), and so many others.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

buy a Delica and a Sharpmaker ;)
Pyrite

Post by Pyrite »

Delica or a Delica.

You may try several others, but will always return to the Delica.
AND.... it does what ALMOST any other Spydie will do.

You could also consider the Delica. :)
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

We could go on and on with the list adding the SB stretch, S110V manix 2 lightweight, Southard, Para2, Military, native 5, K2... First tell us a little more :)
Nick Herrera

Post by Nick Herrera »

I dont think anyones mentioned it yet,

but perhaps you should consider the Delica? :rolleyes: ;)
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Well the delica might be a good first buy to get you hook. Not expensive and great medium slicer. Get the Superblue version if you can find one!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That is vague question and you will get at least a couple dozen suggestions. Blade length is a big variable. My two favorites are the para2 and the delica. The sage and stretch are also great edc knives for my uses. Most people have an idea what they want and just need help narrowing it down. Between a tenacious and a delica I would pic the delica since those are the two you mentioned. If you could at least give a blade length and price range I am sure we can point you in the right direction.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

I was going to say...Delica? :D

I am a big guy and carry an Endura or 2 (soon a Matriarch2 and Endura) on duty as a uniformed patrol officer/supervisor, but off duty it's usually a Delica.

I originally bought 2 Dragonflys thinking they would be my "tiny...even-if-I'm-wearing-my-underwear" knife...but the Delica is small and light enough to trump those for that duty also. The lack of wasted edge (NO CHOIL!) and the FFG make it a CUTTER for it's size too!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

ParaMilitary2 hands down.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My choice is the Stretch, it's one of the most compact 3.5" blade models that Spyderco offers, has superb ergonomics, and is hand neutral.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

For a smaller edc, go Delica in superblue, for a larger one, go Para2 in any steel.
dragonram7

Post by dragonram7 »

Depends on your hands and the knife's foot print in your pocket. Big hands=endura or police, smaller hands=delica. When I carry a knife or a gun, I find the thickness makes more of a difference. The Ulize is a big knife but it's so thin, I don't know it's there. I carry in the pocket and IWB. There is a light weight Manix 2 (blue) that disappears in the pocket and is..well...a manix (hardcore).
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:My choice is the Stretch, it's one of the most compact 3.5" blade models that Spyderco offers, has superb ergonomics, and is hand neutral.
Hey paul, just curious, what exactly do you mean by "hand neutral"?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For me to say which is the best Spyderco EDC is a really tough one. Because I would have at least 12 answers to that question. For a full sized, multi-purpose blade I would have to give my Sprint, G-10 Ayoob model the thumbs up. Nothing at all wrong with the Delica because I sold my boss his ZDP-189 Delica and he has loved it intensely for 3 years plus and I really liked mine when I carried it.

Speaking of ZDP-189 my original Burgundy, Caly Junior was a long time EDC for me. And going back a few years I had very fond memories of my Renegade model>> which I very much wish they would do a Sprint Run of them with a better blade steel and a new handle.

Now my ultimate, all time best EDC is without a doubt my C-44 big Dyad model. It's one helluva functional, multi-purpose blade. Might just start carrying it again soon. Oh for "SHOW OFF" I like my C-46 Lum Tanto>> I sure get a ton of compliments on that one.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Surfingringo wrote:
The Deacon wrote:My choice is the Stretch, it's one of the most compact 3.5" blade models that Spyderco offers, has superb ergonomics, and is hand neutral.
Since Paul is left-handed, I assume he means a lock that is just as easily operated with either hand. :)
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:
Ambidextrous lock. Paul's a lefty.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Surfingringo wrote:
Simple Lance, it's really just another way of saying "fully ambidextrous". Walker, Reeve, and compression locks are all handed. They operate by moving a bar side-to-side, which inevitably favors one hand, usually the right, over the other. Same with push button locks, like those on many autos, that are mounted on only one side of the knife. Almost all of them "can" be operated with the "wrong" hand, but that's beside the point. The midlock and ball lock are hand neutral, as is Spyderco's implementation of Blackie Collins' bolt action lock. They do not favor one hand over the other and, when paired with an opener like the Spyderhole that's positioned so as to be equally accessible from both sides and a clip that can be mounted on either side, they produce a totally hand neutral knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!