Military or Manix 2XL or Farid K2 as large/solid EDC folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: Military or Manix 2 XL or Other as large/solid EDC folde

Post by MacLaren »

Military Camo/DLC & Manix 2 XL Black/DLC
Both are incredible folders. You wouldn't be hurt with either for sure. This thread prompted me to get both out and compare a little. Upon further evaluation, I believe I would change my choice to the Military for edc between the two. But, its still such a close decision for me. The Military is a little bit lighter, has a little bit longer blade, although the blade of the Military is just a little thinner behind the edge than the Manix I believe. The Military is a little narrower and does therefor carry a little better in the pocket. Both stick out a little, so that was a draw for me. At any rate, Ive included a few pics to help ya decide. The Manix 2 XL is just one bad azz Spydie though....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

And heres how the K2 checks out compared to the Manix XL. The K2 is just phenomenal for an x-large folder imo. Its thin and rides extremely well for its size. I carry it quite often with no problems at all.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Do I hear somebody saying TATANKA? :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Do I hear somebody saying TATANKA? :D
Lol, man that Tatanka is a brute at 9oz..
I'm gonna get one eventually though Chuck :)
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Well I can't compare the military to the XL because I never owned a XL, but the millie never got me to actually want to carry it and sold it after a few months. On the other hand, the K2 which I bought at first only for work duty (5/8" + rope cutting, tie-wrap and various cutting chore) seems to have take my SB stretch out of my pocket for EDC. It simply grew on me to a point it became my favorite. Yeah I knew there's so many other model I'd need to try before calling this my favorite amongst all. But it the one I like best out of the few I have the chance to own/work with.

I must add, MacLaren you're putting some really nice picture in here!
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Laethageal wrote:Well I can't compare the military to the XL because I never owned a XL, but the millie never got me to actually want to carry it and sold it after a few months. On the other hand, the K2 which I bought at first only for work duty (5/8" + rope cutting, tie-wrap and various cutting chore) seems to have take my SB stretch out of my pocket for EDC. It simply grew on me to a point it became my favorite. Yeah I knew there's so many other model I'd need to try before calling this my favorite amongst all. But it the one I like best out of the few I have the chance to own/work with.

Thank you :) I, appreciate that. But, yeah man, I know exactly where your comin from with the K2. I don't wanna seem like a K2 fan boy, but I gotta give credit where its due. The darn thing really does grow on ya. Its just a lot of fun to play with too. And that probably comes from the very,very nice action it has. Lol, theres just something about Spydie flicking the K2.....its awesome.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Laethageal wrote:Well I can't compare the military to the XL because I never owned a XL, but the millie never got me to actually want to carry it and sold it after a few months. On the other hand, the K2 which I bought at first only for work duty (5/8" + rope cutting, tie-wrap and various cutting chore) seems to have take my SB stretch out of my pocket for EDC. It simply grew on me to a point it became my favorite. Yeah I knew there's so many other model I'd need to try before calling this my favorite amongst all. But it the one I like best out of the few I have the chance to own/work with.

Laethageal, Hmmmmm... So you're EDC'ing the K2?? how's it carry for you? and is it deep enough / inconspicuous enough to not stand out and scream "massive folder in my pocket"? :)

At 6.2oz the K2 is barely heavier than my Resilience (5.4oz) and while I wasn't even sure about getting the Resilience originally, but man, am I glad I gave it a try. Finishing up a longer review on it one my blog this week, but the darn thing feels good in the hand, and I've come to really appreciate the blade length and solid feel. a bit longer even does sound good.

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

MacLaren wrote:And heres how the K2 checks out compared to the Manix XL. The K2 is just phenomenal for an x-large folder imo. Its thin and rides extremely well for its size. I carry it quite often with no problems at all.
@MacLaren wow those are some beautiful side by side pics... adding the K2 was a nice touch lol.

You EDC the K2 as well? how's it carry for you? is it deep / inconspicuous enough to not stand out and scream "massive folder in my pocket"? :)

And it's smooth enough at it's size that it's flickable? :eek: Wasn't sure you could even get your thumb in the hole to flick it, it seemed a little obstructed? love to hear more...

And for the big question... since you have all 3, which one do you usually carry? yeah, that varies, but they're quite similar, so I'm curious.

Thanks!
Dan

Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

In my opinion it doesn't feel bad at all in pocket. I'm used to the stretch and endura which are smaller, but the thin profile of the k2 make it feel like it's no bigger. I doesn't scream "Hey look at me i'm in the pocket!" either, but my shirt usually got down to mid pocket height and is helping.

Easiest knife I ever flicked. Seriously. So smooth, easy and quick! At first it felt weird because of the size of the knife, but after not more then 2 days it became natural.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Actually, in my pocket, the K2 sticks out less than either the Military or XL Manix
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

MacLaren wrote:Actually, in my pocket, the K2 sticks out less than either the Military or XL Manix
Yeah, if i got the Military or Manix 2 XL I'd get a deep carry clip from Casey Lynch - glad to see the convo about low profile / inconspicuous Spyderco add-on clips in that other thread I started for that.

Which one of these 3 do you usually end up carrying these days?

Dan

DansGunBlog

Re: Military or Manix 2XL or Farid K2 as large/solid EDC fol

Post by DansGunBlog »

The Farid K2 kept coming up... so I updated the thread to include it as a top contender... gonna say it's MacLaren's fault for the beautiful side by sides... ;-)

Dan

ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I would vote for the military. I own the military in g10 and the fluted Ti and both get a lot more pocket time than the manix XL. The manix just takes up so much pocket space and weighs so much more I carry it less.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

If you want some info about the how the K2 is (review after 1 week of use)

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =k2+review" target="_blank
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

A most excellent review by leatheagle ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DansGunBlog wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Actually, in my pocket, the K2 sticks out less than either the Military or XL Manix
Yeah, if i got the Military or Manix 2 XL I'd get a deep carry clip from Casey Lynch - glad to see the convo about low profile / inconspicuous Spyderco add-on clips in that other thread I started for that.

Which one of these 3 do you usually end up carrying these days?

Dan
The K2. CPM 10V is off the chain. And, the K2 is nice and thin :)
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

MacLaren wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:
MacLaren wrote: Which one of these 3 do you usually end up carrying these days?
Dan
Dammit, I see where this is going lol...

How do you like the feel in hand of the K2 vs the Military and Manix 2 XL? ie comfort, control, handling, basically ergos.

Dan

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I find the K2 a bit awkward in hand, until you go to use it. No hot spots and very secure in hand. Noticeable but in a good way, you don't worry about losing your grip. It rides unnoticeably in pocket, I keep thinking I've lost it! My Manix2 also carries nice, it "melts" into the hand and feels good in use. I assume the XL will be very similar. I sometimes can't decide what position my hand should be in though. I do worry a little about the tip on the Manix, it probably looks more fragile than t is though. I'm thinking you might be looking for us to talk you into spending the extra $$ on the K-2, no? You know you'll end up buying one eventually so you might as well get one while they're still easy to find. : )
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DansGunBlog wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:
MacLaren wrote: Which one of these 3 do you usually end up carrying these days?
Dan
Dammit, I see where this is going lol...

How do you like the feel in hand of the K2 vs the Military and Manix 2 XL? ie comfort, control, handling, basically ergos.

Dan
For as big as it is, its so very sweet imo. I love it.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I would go with K2
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE