PM2 for EDC and Survival?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

PM2 for EDC and Survival?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

To those who are owners and users of the Paramilitary 2, do you consider it one of the better everyday carry and survival knives Spyderco offers?
djjinksy

Re: PM2 for EDC and Survival?

Post by djjinksy »

I own a bunch of Spydies, and other brands, and I try to rotate my EDC choice whenever I think about it. The "problem" is, I don't often think about it... I always gravitate back to my PM2. For me, the ergos are perfect. I love the lock, opening and closing is smooth as glass, the 4 way clip is super convenient, and the huge lanyard hole is a great multi use tool (I have used it to hold a fire bow bearing, and held it at the end of a blowgun and used it as a sighting guide). I did a tiny mod to my primary PM2 by ever so slightly grinding the spine flat, so the corners are sharp again (the tumbling / finishing process Spyderco does during production softens this edge)... it makes a great ferro rod scraper.

My biggest problem with the PM2 is the number of choices lol. I generally carry a black handle / satin s30v blade, but I could also carry the double black, blue/m390, brown/s35vn, gray/cruwear, blah blah blah....

If I could design "my perfect PM3", it'd have the same shape and features, but be full Millie size with a 4" blade, and come with canvas micarta scales (I find them more comfortable, as well as more grippy, AND they get great patina character).

It might turn out that my dream EDC ends up being a Millie2 with aftermarket scales. Who knows at this point... but for the moment, the PM2 is my GO2.
-Steve
Embassy, Para2, Delica 4 SS, Dragonfly SS/ZDP/Superblue/H1, Native 5 G10, Manix 2 G10, Rescue 79, Swick3, Mule19
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Yes, which is why it was my only folder on a 50 mile backpacking trip in Wyoming.

Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

The only thing that could get in the way of EDCing a PM2 is if you have very specific size restrictions. But if that isn't an issue the PM2 is an excellent option. Blade is a functional size without being too big/small, the handle is a good length with nice ergos, and the compression lock is both strong and lightweight.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It would be my first choice personally. The military would be another great option but I prefer the compression lock to a liner lock.

When is that cruwear para2 coming out? :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

In short, yes. Good size (not too big, not too small). Reliable lock. I like the choil. Good grind. Decent ergos. So, definitely one of my top choices for an all-purpose folder.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

bearfacedkiller wrote:When is that cruwear para2 coming out? :D
Indeed, I would jump through some hoops to get a Cruwear Para 2. A 3V Para 2 would be probably be fun to play with too. :D
JNewell wrote:In short, yes. Good size (not too big, not too small). Reliable lock. I like the choil. Good grind. Decent ergos. So, definitely one of my top choices for an all-purpose folder.
Yep, yep, yep. It's a great all around knife. You could definitely do worse than to be stuck with the Para 2 as your only knife.
djjinksy

Post by djjinksy »

Sorry, my typo! I had a brain fart and confused my gray/cruwear Millie and my green/elmax PM2. Although I do agree, I'd certainly add a cruwear PM to my collection :cool:
-Steve
Embassy, Para2, Delica 4 SS, Dragonfly SS/ZDP/Superblue/H1, Native 5 G10, Manix 2 G10, Rescue 79, Swick3, Mule19
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Right after M4. ;)
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I guess it would depend on what you intend on surviving from. It will make a great self defense tool. But outdoor survival/bushcraft type stuff, I prefer a fixed blade over a folder any day.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I think it is a great EDC and I have 2 of them in my EDC rotation. If there weren't so many other great knives that I like, the PM2 might be the only knife I would carry.

For survival, I would likely choose something else although the PM2 would likely work well and might work as well as something else. In the Spyderco folder line I might be inclined to choose a Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL for survival use.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I don't like the PM2 at all and if I had to keep it and not trade or sell it you couldn't give me one free
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

EDC and survival is a bit of a strange combo. Often they have conflicting requirements, but survival really needs to be defined. If you mean urban survival, any knife pales in comparison to a credit card, so I'll assume you mean wilderness. The PM2 is better suited to EDC than wilderness, although the generous handle would be a good thing so it wouldn't be my last choice. I guess if we re-frame your question to: "of the knives you EDC, which would rather be caught out in the wilderness with?" I would say, yes, the PM2 is one of the better choices since I only EDC folders.