Military or Manix 2XL or Farid K2 as large/solid EDC folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Military or Manix 2XL or Farid K2 as large/solid EDC folder

Post by DansGunBlog »

Hey guys. Hoping for some insights on this.

Been looking to get a camo/satin PM2 when they become more widely available, but since I got the Resilience, found I really enjoy the larger blade size and solid feel... (paired with a free floating Ladybug in the pocket).

Which has led me to the larger options first. So currently trying to decide between the Military and the Manix 2 XL.

1.) How do the ergos compare?
2.) How do they compare for actual carry?
3.) How much time does yours spend in your pocket for actual EDC? :-)

Love the looks/specs of the new Farid K2, but prefer to stay under $200 street price for this. That said, it's also an option...

Partial to the 50/50 finger choils, but not a deal breaker.
Don't care which lock type, as every lock I've seen from Spyderco so far is well above adequate. Side to side torque is often far greater vs possible support than up and down in practical use anyway.
I DO however like a very smooth action that can be flicked open easily.

* Edit: Oh, I'm right handed and don't care if tip up/down...
* Edit 2: included Farid K2 as an option... it came up in the discussion several times.

Open to other ideas as well...

Thanks!
Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
Evil D

Re: Military or Manix 2 XL or Other as large/solid EDC folde

Post by Evil D »

Man this is a very tough choice. Ultimately I'd have to say for EDC I would highly prefer the Military.

1) I strongly prefer the ergos of the Manix over the Military. This is going to be purely preference based, as to be honest both knives have amazing ergonomics and I really can't say many bad things about how the Military feels in hand. If I had to really nitpick, there are 2 significant differences between these knives that I think may sway your choice one way or the other. 1) I feel that the choil is much better on the Manix because it's bigger and my finger actually fits into it, while the one on the Military (to me) always felt like an after thought, because the knife feels absolutely amazing gripped behind the choil but not so much choked up on, and 2) If your EDC routines ever include wearing gloves, I would have to give the nod to the Military as far as handle space for thick gloves. The Manix feels great gripped behind the choil, but will probably be cramped when wearing heavy winter gloves. I have worn huge ridiculous wool mittens that we wore at work inside -20 degree freezers, and still had plenty of room on the handle of my Military. With the Manix, my bare hand fills the grip behind the choil alone, so I think with gloves on it would be a tight fit.

2) Again, I'd have to give the nod to the Military here, for no other reason than it's narrower in your pocket. However, if you strongly prefer tip up carry and/or you're a lefty, the Manix does offer 4 way clip option, whereas the Military only gives you one clip option. Again, strictly speaking on EDC here, the Military wins here by a long shot.

3) Well, I don't own a Manix 2 XL but I do own a Military, so that should tell you something. That said, I have spent quite a lot of time handling and evaluating the M2XL, enough that I think I have room to have an opinion on it. I do like a lot of things about the Manix, I just wouldn't buy it for EDC. I do strongly prefer the lock on the Manix over the Military, afterall the standard size Manix 2 is probably my favorite knife in the catalog.

Otherwise, both knives are easy to flick open IMO. The Manix will likely have a smoother pivot and opening action simply because of the lock design, but that's not to say the Military isn't smooth by any means, the one I have in front of me will drop closed by gravity (well, as far as possible before hitting your finger).

As far as other blades in this size, my immediate thought is the Southard, which has something like 1/8 inch less blade, but is also more than $200. There's the Resilience, but I'm not sure if you have a preference for steel/etc. There's also the Police/Police 3, Endura, Ulize, which all have blades around the same size give or take a little.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've had both for about 5 months now,and if push came to shove I would chose the Manix XL due to its wonderful ergos. It fits like a glove imo. Thats a very tough choice though!
The Military has a helluva nice blade imo, but theres so much control with the Manix2 XL, - I can get surgical with the Manix
Last edited by MacLaren on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The ergos of my Manix XL are actually my favorite of all Spyderco knives I've handled. The military has solid ergos as well, but they're a bit more one size fits all. I can see people not liking the XL if the more "specific" contours don't fit their hand.

Military is thinner than the XL, so it carries a bit better. Also the stock XL clip leaves a lot of it hanging out of the pocket. I personally carry my XL clipless with a short lanyard. It's big so it's not like I have trouble grabbing it when needed.

I don't carry my XL very much, sadly. I'm wearing gym shorts or sweats 90% of the time, so it's not the most practical carry.

My original, non-skeletonized XL is smooth as oiled glass and can be flicked easily. It's pretty incredible, actually. My S90V CF exclusive is pretty tight, and can't be flicked. However I haven't really used that one much to break it in, nor tried playing with the pivot.

So to sum up, while I absolutely love the Manix XL design, I wouldn't really consider it for EDC. More of a "change of pace because I like carrying a big knife every once in a while" knife.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:The ergos of my Manix XL are actually my favorite of all Spyderco knives I've handled. The military has solid ergos as well, but they're a bit more one size fits all. I can see people not liking the XL if the more "specific" contours don't fit their hand.

Military is thinner than the XL, so it carries a bit better. Also the stock XL clip leaves a lot of it hanging out of the pocket. I personally carry my XL clipless with a short lanyard. It's big so it's not like I have trouble grabbing it when needed.

I don't carry my XL very much, sadly. I'm wearing gym shorts or sweats 90% of the time, so it's not the most practical carry.

My original, non-skeletonized XL is smooth as oiled glass and can be flicked easily. It's pretty incredible, actually. My S90V CF exclusive is pretty tight, and can't be flicked. However I haven't really used that one much to break it in, nor tried playing with the pivot.

So to sum up, while I absolutely love the Manix XL design, I wouldn't really consider it for EDC. More of a "change of pace because I like carrying a big knife every once in a while" knife.
Just keep playing with that S90v Manix, shell break in. My flicks very nicely. Very smooth.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

LOL! I was surprised there were no replies yet, figured surely someone around here would have an opinion either way. Seems I just didn't tick the "get notified or replies" checkbox. Fixed that, and catching up now... :-)

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Evil D wrote:Man this is a very tough choice. Ultimately I'd have to say for EDC I would highly prefer the Military...
Evil D, thanks for the thorough description, very helpful... Dammit, I keep coming back to BOTH... guess it may just come down to which one FIRST... :-)
MacLaren wrote:I've had both for about 5 months now,and if push came to shove I would chose the Manix XL due to its wonderful ergos. It fits like a glove imo. Thats a very tough choice though!
The Military has a helluva nice blade imo, but theres so much control with the Manix2 XL, - I can get surgical with the Manix
@MacLaren do you think the bigger 50/50 finger choil is responsible for the better precision, or is it something else?
tvenuto wrote:The ergos of my Manix XL are actually my favorite of all Spyderco knives I've handled. The military has solid ergos as well, but they're a bit more one size fits all. I can see people not liking the XL if the more "specific" contours don't fit their hand.

I don't carry my XL very much, sadly. I'm wearing gym shorts or 90% of the time, so it's not the most practical carry.
@Tvenuto LOL! I work from home, well aware of the 90% gym shorts attire! it's funny, I'm exploring the small and lightweight end of the Spyderco product line for that reason as well...

That's how I got the Ladybut originally, now it's always in my pocket free floating. If you don't have one, highly recommended ( here's the review I just wrote up on it with pics ). Getting a Dragonfly FRN next for gym shorts carry lol.

This bigger one I'm deciding on is for when I'm out and about in jeans, etc. Technically my Resilience does the job fine, just looking at all around higher end options.

Thanks!
Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DGB, yes, I think it helps a lot. I love it.
Either one is great though. Spyderco S30V is just awesome imo.
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

Own neither but have handled both in stores and like both. I could see me getting the Military first but the Manix XL is a BEAST and feels like a stronger piece of equipment in the hand (I am starting to hate knife cliches but it DOES "feel like a tank!"). The weight was what bothered me-if the weight is not prohibitive for you-the Manix might be your choice.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The Manix is great, but for an EDC I prefer the Military. The reason is that it is so much lighter than either Manix. If you want to do some very fine cutting with the tip, grasping the Military's blade with a finger under the choil is secure and feels light as a feather.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Both are great from an ergo perspective, but I find the Manix2 XL to be a little too large, especially breadth in-pocket. And the Millie is lighter and still a very capable knife that will carry a lot nicer. I love my Manix2 (I prefer it in size and ergos to the XL, especially once it's in a pocket), but I carry my PM2 more because it also has fabulous ergos but carries that extra bit nicer in pocket.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Evil D wrote:the Manix does offer 4 way clip option
I haven't seen one with a 4-way option, but mine have 2-way options.

I would probably prefer the Manix 2 XL over the Military, except that the Military takes a little less space in my pocket.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I don't have military experience, but I can say, the XL is amazing.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The military is much lighter and slimmer. No comparison for me as far as how they carry in the pocket. The military carries like a dream in the pocket. That is enough of a reason for me. I also largely prefer the blade shape of the military and prefer tip down carry.

Other considerations for you.

Military has thicker stock.
Manix2 xl rides higher in the pocket and is much wider in the pocket.
Military come in camo to offer another option.
Both flick easily.
Manix can be had for a few bucks less.
Manix tip up ambidextrous.
Military tip down right handed.
Military is easier to use with gloves on.

If you like frn the endura is another knife with a long blade and it carries better than either of these although it is slightly shorter blade.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bdblue wrote:
Evil D wrote:the Manix does offer 4 way clip option
I haven't seen one with a 4-way option, but mine have 2-way options.

I would probably prefer the Manix 2 XL over the Military, except that the Military takes a little less space in my pocket.
You are right it doesn't it. Too many knives, not enough memory capacity ;)
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

i'd go with the Military for an edc blade, its lighter and offers a bigger blade.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The military is much lighter and slimmer. No comparison for me as far as how they carry in the pocket. The military carries like a dream in the pocket. That is enough of a reason for me. I also largely prefer the blade shape of the military and prefer tip down carry.

Other considerations for you.

Military has thicker stock.
Manix2 xl rides higher in the pocket and is much wider in the pocket.
Military come in camo to offer another option.
Both flick easily.
Manix can be had for a few bucks less.
Manix tip up ambidextrous.
Military tip down right handed.
Military is easier to use with gloves on.

If you like frn the endura is another knife with a long blade and it carries better than either of these although it is slightly shorter blade.
Thanks Darby, that considerations list was helpful... while I may end up getting both, leaning Military for EDC.

LOL seems what I Really want is a Military 2, ie a 4.25 inch Paramilitary 2 (hence this thread on when it's coming) and ideally with a low visibility clip (hence this other thread). :)

Dan

Oh - not really feeling the Endura... initially didn't like how the FRN looks, but after handling it on the Ladybug, it's great. But I don't think a back lock can be anywhere near as smooth opening as the Manix XL or PM2...
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Millie for EDC and Manix XL for the end of the world. Both are good so you can't go wrong but the slim nature and lightness of the Millie usually wins out for me.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

In case there is any doubt as to what my answer will be lets get this out of the way first.

I carry mine everyday all day and there is a reason I think it is called the little big knife. Slim and with the partial liners light for its size.

Now flicking it open is a issue for me. Smooth and no issues opening or closing it but it is something that I have to follow though with. I took a Torx to the pivot finally but either did not make it lose enough or there is some other issue at work here. ( My noobness )

Either way buy the Millie don't look back and feel free to thanks me later.

All that being said I can't wait to get me a Manix 110V so who am I to offer help. Heck just buy them all and get it over with.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

If you like a big knife, look at the Farid K-2. She's a monster but carries very well in pocket as it's so thin...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?