Native 5 - QC Issue or No Big Deal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
scotchblade

Native 5 - QC Issue or No Big Deal?

Post by scotchblade »

Hello everyone -

This is my first post. I have cruised the boards many times and it's been a big help deciding what knife to purchase.

I recently picked up a FFG Native 5. Great little knife, I love it. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a significant difference on each side of the blade. One side clearly has more material removed at the edge. In other words, the two sides are asymmetrical, they do not match. When you look at it from top down, the tip appears bent, but it's really not. It just looks that way because it is not even on both sides.

I'm sure it will do it's job, it just kind of bugs me. I welcome your comments.

More material removed side
native_01.jpg
Less material removed side
native_02.jpg
Looking down at the tip
native_03.jpg
paladin

Re: Native 5 - QC Issue or No Big Deal?

Post by paladin »

Your assessment that it will "do its job" is correct, IMHO...

I personally wouldn't call that bad swedge job a QC issue, as such...

I'd say the swedge is hand-ground just like the edge, i.e. held by hand whilst being ground by a mechanically driven belt...

And as such, is subject to human imprecise handling...albeit that is pretty unsightly from the top-down POV...

My 2cents, since you asked, I think you'd be justified in asking the vendor for a swap as long as you haven't used it yet...

If you're not type A, obsessive/compulsive, etc. ... keep it & use it in good heatlh... :spyder: :D

Last option...if you're handy...even it out yourself ...go easy on the power tools though, you don't want to ruin the temper :eek:

BTW...welcome to the boards! :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

First off, Welcome aboard, nice to see some new blood.

I have received a few pieces like yours, so its not really that uncommon. Just take a little more off the short side each time you sharpen it and eventually it will even out.
scotchblade

Post by scotchblade »

Thanks for the replies and welcoming words. I am new to collecting knives and am still very, very green. I am not going to sweat it.

I started like everyone else I imagine. Bought one and can't stop!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

My CJ Yojimbo 2s had very uneven bevels and it annoyed me as well. If you bought it as a user, it will sharpen itself out, as a collectible, it should probably get replaced.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If it is just the bevel that is uneven then it isn't a huge deal as it should be fixable with time as you sharpen it or when you rebevel it if you do. It does look to be off significantly. Is it uneven just towards the tip or is the bevel uneven down the entire length of the blade. If you are really bothered by it I am sure you can return it, many people probably would, I would not.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

You're complaining about the uneven bevel grind, right? In my experience this is not uncommon with Spydies. Works fine but can bug the perfectionist.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum scotchblade =)

Yeah that is an interesting set of images. I have seen knives that looked slightly bent at the tip, when I held it at a certain angle, but were alright for use and cutting chores. The Native series is excellent.
scotchblade

Post by scotchblade »

Again, thank you for the feedback. Understanding these imperfections can occur is all I needed to know.

Cheers
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Sharpen it accordingly and it should sort itself out. If it was worse I'd return it (Doesn't look that far off, especially if it's a user), but I have a few with slightly uneven bevels (Just a couple out of 39 current), and especially as a user it shouldn't pose a problem. I also have a few with bevels that are even appearance wise, but different angles slightly regarding bevel grind...took me a few minutes to figure out why my SharpMaker wasn't sharpening them properly (I hold these at a slight angle while using the SM), but with knowledge of the issue I can correct it through use and sharpening.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

I just received a Native Lightweight that has the exact same grind. There must be a guy on the line that is grinding it unevenly. It's not that big of an issue for me since it's an FRN. If it was a CF or G10 handled Native, I might have an issue.
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

I would send it back. Not concerned with fixing it before I even use it.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Use it. Sharpen it. The edge is done by a human at the factory, they aren't ever "perfect".
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Well its an easy fix if you got the right sharpeners, but I can understand how it can be an eye sore
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE