Southard use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Southard use?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Quick question for all you Southard users out there. What exactly are you using this knife for? Is it your daily EDC? Food prep? Collector piece?

I love my blacked out version but I find that it sits in my cabinet most of the time. The blade stock too thick for my apples at work, it's not a great slicer (for me). The blacked out version makes me think maybe it is supposed to fulfill a self defence role maybe? The steel implies it is for hard use...so what do you guys use yours for? My apologies if this seems like a really dumb and obvious question.

I'll send five bucks (canadian) to the first to respond "I use it to cut stuff". Just joking, all my cash is tied up in knives.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Able Dog

Re: Southard use?

Post by Able Dog »

I use mine as a light - medium EDC cutter. The ergos don't really lend themselves to self defense or "hard-use" and the blade thickness is incongruous with a light duty slicer, but I still love the knife as a dressier EDC option. Mine usually just opens boxes, processes cardboard, and does some food prep. The Southard manages to pack a great amount of cutting length into an small(ish) overall package. And it is just a snazzy knife.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Mine rides daily in my left fore-arm pocket. It gets used 2-3 times a week to cut an apple, open mail/packages, cut up lunch, etc. Occasionally I pop a zip tie or trim a lose string. Basically, I cut stuff when it needs cutting. I wish I had more exciting cutting chores. It's the knife that's most often on me, so it's the one that gets used. So, EDC to answer your question.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I haven't carried mine in some time, need to get a new clip for it, I hate the one that it came with. Its such a great design though, and looks fantastic, I was using mine as a work knife believe it or not and it performed well. I really need to get it back in my pocket soon.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

At the moment mine is more of a show piece, still in awe of it
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I cut stuff with mine :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Lol Evil D. I was actually hoping to hear from you about this. I know you love your Southard.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I stopped carrying mine due to the grind, I find that it just doesn't slice well enough for me. I'm having it modified whenever I get around to sending it in so that it's smaller and pops a bit more. Still don't know how often I'll use it. Maybe I'll get it re-ground.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Excellent knife but it hangs in my safe. I just prefer strictly Glesser designs.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I use mine for everything. It doesn't do too well with hard foods like apples, but works well for most other uses.
The Caly 3.5 cuts better, but the Southard carries better than most other knives, is cool (mine has orange scales) and packs a lot of blade in a small package. It gets quite a large share of my RFP time :D

Steel seems nice, no issues what so ever. I did thin out the grind on mine a bit (especially near the tip).

For pure performance I still haven't found anything competing with the Military for large, CF Caly 3.5 (or Slysz Bowie) for mid size and CF Walker for small.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Lol Evil D. I was actually hoping to hear from you about this. I know you love your Southard.
If you check out the last thread I made about the Southard, it'll tell you most of the story. I do wish it were a thinner grind, had thinner scales and was overall lighter, but I still love it. It isn't the best slicer but not all cuts are slices. I guess I like the rest of it enough to suck it up when it comes to slicing. I have sliced quite a few apples with it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Slyz, but changed my mind. I will more than likely get a new Southard. Or try to catch one on BF.
However, I already own the Domino and just love that darn knife! But then again, it would be really nice to have another flipper- another Taichung Spydie+ CTS 204p. And, these appear to be two pretty much different knives.
I wish Spyderco had more flipper models too.
nccole

Post by nccole »

Mine gets used a lot more since I had Big Chris re-grind it. I forget the exact measurements, but it cuts much better, and has shown no signs of edge damage. The 204P stands out now where it didn't before.