Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Sharpmaker

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

So my little collection is getting started. Millie, SB Dragonfly 2 and 204P Para2 on the way.

I really think I would enjoy making these knives really sharp and experimenting with different bevels and grinds. I am thinking for someone new to this the EPA could be good. I also think it might be better to wait till I get home to get a full on system like that.

That being said I am going to buy a Sharpmaker so I can keep my knives sharp. No re-profile or other shenanigans. Just keep the edge Spyderco put on the knives sharp.

My questions are do you guys know any good places to buy a SM and would you suggest I pick up any other stones for the SM, like maybe ultra fine?

Thanks.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Mjc1973

Re: Sharpmaker

Post by Mjc1973 »

Amazon. I would say diamond or cubic boron but you are not into reprofile.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Mjc1973 wrote:Amazon. I would say diamond or cubic boron but you are not into reprofile.
Yep, just trying to keep them sharp for now.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Keep your eye on Ebay...that's where I got my brand new 204 for $35.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I'd say watch out for chinese replica on ebay. They seel for 30ish$us and need to be avoided. Better buy from a reputable dealer for this one piece.
Last edited by Laethageal on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Redacted.

Thanks for clearing this up!
Last edited by mattman on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

That is meant to be an insult or what?

Sorry but anyway I put it in french it doesn't make much sense ;)
mattman

Post by mattman »

redacted.
Last edited by mattman on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mjc1973 wrote:Amazon. I would say diamond or cubic boron but you are not into reprofile.
I'm going to say you need the diamonds anyway. You have to realize that the Sharpmaker rods are set to specific angles. If your edges are actually at those angles (or less) to begin with, then you will not need to reprofile*, and will just be sharpening. However, if those angles are more obtuse than 40 degrees, then you ARE reprofiling, you're just doing it very slowly. Since the factory edge is done by hand, it often is not at a consistent angle, that is to say, not every single knife is 30 degrees from the factory.

*Well you are still reprofiling in this case too, but you're doing it from the edge back, so you will be sharpening all the while.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Not suggesting anything. I've shown picture of fake (without any link to where they can be found btw) so people are aware. I think that 35$ on ebay got golden a replica as they don't go that low from reputable dealer, at least not that I know off. I really advise against buying a replica. It's the wrong thing to do and you'll also get a lesser quality product that won't sharpen your knives adequatly (comments i read from people reviewing the fake).
Last edited by Laethageal on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

mattman wrote:
Laethageal wrote:That is meant to be an insult or what?

It's much less of an insult than you suggesting a Chinese knockoff be purchased RIGHT HERE ON SPYDERCO'S FORUM. :rolleyes:
I think he was saying "watch out for" as in: avoid. If you see it for $30, you can be sure it's not a genuine Sharpmaker.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Redacted.
Last edited by mattman on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote: My questions are do you guys know any good places to buy a SM and would you suggest I pick up any other stones for the SM, like maybe ultra fine?
Thanks.
Where to buy depends on how soon do you need. If you need it now than Amazon, if you do not mind to wait for a while, you can watch ebay and possibly find a better deal. Just be careful to avoid previous model (203), it has only one set of holes or fakes. Used, if you are confident they the tool was slightly used is fine as long as significant drop in the price.
I wouldn't buy UF at least right away. Unless you want to try really polished edge. I personally stopped using mine few years ago. I do not use even fine on my S30V, S35VN or S110V knives. Medium rods are sufficient to create an edge, which will shave, just apply a light pressure at the end.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The genius of Sal's Sharpmaker is that it is meant precisely for folks with your needs (that is to say, the needs of most of us). Unless you chip your edge or you're looking to create an ever-so-delicate apex, you don't need the optional diamond/CBN rods or the optional ultrafine rods, respectively. You don't really need the included white ones either, unless your application requires a semi-polished bevel. The brown rods properly applied to both the bevel and microbevel will pop hair off your arm and, depending on steel, will give you a long-lasting working edge...
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The UF rods really are just a novelty for me and while I do use them I always say they really are not necessary. On the other hand you will want the diamond rods in time and probably not in that much time. Once you get the hang of the sharpmaker which thankfully has a fairly quick learning curve you will find a need for the diamond rods.

Second piece of advice. You have three nice knives. The Military is not a cheap knife and the other two are sprints. Get a cheap knife to practice on before you begin reprofiling or resetting your back bevel. The sharpmaker is all about muscle memory so you do need to practice a little bit to get it down. Get a vg10 delica or if you want to go cheaper get a kershaw skyline/leek or if you don't mind junk get a cheap walmart type knife and just sharpen away. I had some pretty uneven bevels in the beginning and even still do when I go too fast.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

bearfacedkiller wrote:...you will want the diamond rods in time and probably not in that much time
Agree completely. The standard SM should include the diamond rods IMO.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Brock O Lee wrote: The standard SM should include the diamond rods IMO.
disagree. Some would prefer UF, with both sets SM would be over $100. It is good as is. A little over $50 for standard set. Who needs extras, will buy extras
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

tvenuto wrote:
mattman wrote:
Laethageal wrote:That is meant to be an insult or what?

It's much less of an insult than you suggesting a Chinese knockoff be purchased RIGHT HERE ON SPYDERCO'S FORUM. :rolleyes:
I think he was saying "watch out for" as in: avoid. If you see it for $30, you can be sure it's not a genuine Sharpmaker.
Not true in the least. It just takes a little observation and good judgement to find out if any given SM is fake or not. One of the main reasons that this auction stayed low is that the title was misspelled (Syderco); thus it didn't show up in search results. Also, it was slightly used, but the stones had plenty of life left in them.

Yes, it may be true that someone new to Spyderco may not be able to authoritatively say whether or not a SM is fake, but I have quite a bit of experience buying Spyders on Ebay, and I can say that my SM is not counterfeit.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Second piece of advice. You have three nice knives. The Military is not a cheap knife and the other two are sprints. Get a cheap knife to practice on before you begin reprofiling or resetting your back bevel. The sharpmaker is all about muscle memory so you do need to practice a little bit to get it down. Get a vg10 delica or if you want to go cheaper get a kershaw skyline/leek or if you don't mind junk get a cheap walmart type knife and just sharpen away. I had some pretty uneven bevels in the beginning and even still do when I go too fast.
Good point about not starting with my good knives. I am hoping the Para 2 is sent to me with a good edge so I wont have to mess with it for a bit. Seeing how it is from one of our well known members I am sure it will be.

I still have the CRKT M-16 that I will use to practice on plus about 200 Soldiers here with dull knives how I am sure would let me sharpen them for free. I do really want another FRN knife though after getting this Dragonfly 2. It is so light, smooth and well made. Thinking some form of Delica or Stretch.

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

GoldenSpydie wrote: Not true in the least. It just takes a little observation and good judgement to find out if any given SM is fake or not. One of the main reasons that this auction stayed low is that the title was misspelled (Syderco); thus it didn't show up in search results. Also, it was slightly used, but the stones had plenty of life left in them.

Yes, it may be true that someone new to Spyderco may not be able to authoritatively say whether or not a SM is fake, but I have quite a bit of experience buying Spyders on Ebay, and I can say that my SM is not counterfeit.
Sigh, ok if you find a misspelled auction for a used sharpmaker then you're safe at $35. I think maybe we can agree that being overly cautious on ebay is better than the opposite? Also, I was merely trying to clarify L's point since there seemed to be a little language confusion. I've never tried to buy a sharpmaker off ebay so I don't have any first hand knowledge.