Production numbers on Moteng S35VN para

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bodie123

Production numbers on Moteng S35VN para

Post by bodie123 »

Anybody know how many Moteng exclusive S35VN Paramilitary 2's in Brown G10 were made? It looks like a ton but would love to know the exact number. Thanks.
The Deacon

Re: Production numbers on Moteng S35VN para

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco does not generally release production quantity information for Exclusives. That might be because they consider it the sponsors right to publish or withhold such information, but it may also be because that number is potentially misleading, since it is not immutable. The contracts for Exclusives provide for both re-orders by the sponsor within a mutually agreed upon time frame and the possibility of the knife being offered by others or by Spyderco themselves after a specified interval has passed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

It doesn't answer your question, but I am pretty sure that one has been re-ordered at least once and suspect that it's been re-ordered twice, based on how they've appeared at dealers over the years. If it had been reordered twice, you could guesstimate at least 1200, maybe more.
bodie123

Post by bodie123 »

Thank you for the replies. That is what I was looking for.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea I'm with JNewell on the estimate. Moteng did a run of Calypso Jr's way back in the day, ZDP-189 laminated. Finding one now is difficult but not nearly as tough as a burgundy sprint. I think Golden tends to do smaller batches though.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:Yea I'm with JNewell on the estimate. Moteng did a run of Calypso Jr's way back in the day, ZDP-189 laminated. Finding one now is difficult but not nearly as tough as a burgundy sprint. I think Golden tends to do smaller batches though.
Still, you need to consider that the "1200 piece minimum run" only applies to knives from Japan. I have no hard data, but I strongly suspect that Spyderco is a lot more flexible when it comes to models made in Golden, especially when both the steel and the scale material are being used in other production models and they don't have to worry about leftovers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:
Blerv wrote:Yea I'm with JNewell on the estimate. Moteng did a run of Calypso Jr's way back in the day, ZDP-189 laminated. Finding one now is difficult but not nearly as tough as a burgundy sprint. I think Golden tends to do smaller batches though.
Still, you need to consider that the "1200 piece minimum run" only applies to knives from Japan. I have no hard data, but I strongly suspect that Spyderco is a lot more flexible when it comes to models made in Golden, especially when both the steel and the scale material are being used in other production models and they don't have to worry about leftovers.
Yes...I have in mind a post I *think* I remember Sal making in which mentioned an initial minimum of 600 pieces for an exclusive with minimums of 300 thereafter - but I may not be remembering that correctly. If that's right, I'm thinking 600 + 300 + 300, but we don't know if or how often these have been reordered.