Pass around of my Spyderco C160 Foundry!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Studey

Re: Pass around of my Spyderco C160 Foundry!

Post by Studey »

Thanks! This will go out tomorrow after work unless I have to be there late, if so it will go out Tues morning. I'll sort through photos tomorrow!
Studey

Post by Studey »

Well, Im bidding the Foundry farewell! Eli, here's a little thank you!

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I really like your Barnyard pic! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Seriously, what a cool background.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "AO"?
Studey

Post by Studey »

Thanks fellas. AO is tacticool speak, area of operations.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Alrighty then. I liked the Foundry much more than I thought I would. The looks didn't appeal to me much in photos when I first saw it. There wasn't anything wrong with it, it just was a bit "meh." However, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to handle a unique and rare Spydie.

A few thoughts:

The handle is extremely comfortable. I expected it to be uncomfortable due to its thinness, but they handle edges are all rounded and blended very nicely....zero hotspots whatsoever. Feels very much like a Manix 2, but without the little hook or hump at the rear. If you find that handle restrictive, this will feel better to you. I never noticed it on my Manix 2, but after handling the Foundry and then going back to the Manix, it's immediately noticeable. Very comfortable in a variety of grips, the buttery smooth edges help here.

The grind was appropriate as a work knife. Not super thin, but not chunky. It seems that it would be a good working tool that would cut well that you didn't need to baby.

Carries nicer than I thought it would, thinness helps a lot here. Too heavy for thin slacks. The clip looks like its angled funny, but it tucks the knife back into the pocket seam so that it's out of the way in-pocket.

The whole knife would best be described as "compact." The specs won't necessarily show that, but it felt like it in hand.

Everyone has taken nice photos already, so I thought that in order to offer something unique, I would compare the Foundry against another new framelock from Spyderco, the Slysz Bowie.

They compare fairly well. The Slysz is lighter, and I like it a lot more, but the Foundry's ergos are more immediately pleasing. Slysz feels like a 'nicer' knife, has a much thinner grind.

Both knives in pocket.

Honestly, the Slysz feels like an upscale EDC to me that can be put into use doing pretty much whatever you need it to. The Foundry seems like it'd be at home in someone's pocket as a work knife. Construction, farming, you name it, all while being quite a nice pocket knife.

I'll finish this one up with one more picture, the tactical parrot checking out the Foundry. She approves!

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for the unique photos and comparisons. An interesting observation on the "melted" edges. Spyderco often goes for the more industrial feel of sharper corners, so this one is a unique departure from that.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks for the photos/review! I like the tactical parrot.

Thank you for the trainer! Very thoughtful of you.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Studey wrote: I'll finish this one up with one more picture, the tactical parrot checking out the Foundry.
That made my day. :D
tvenuto wrote:Thanks for the unique photos and comparisons. An interesting observation on the "melted" edges. Spyderco often goes for the more industrial feel of sharper corners, so this one is a unique departure from that.
Definitely! My stainless Delica has more of a chamferred handle than a rounded one. Acutally, you're right, all my Spydies have pretty hard edges. Definitely a little more finesse on the Foundry.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Great pics and review Studey!! Thank you for supplying the comparison shots of the Slysz Bowie and the Foundry, I figured they would be pretty similar in size. The Foundry seems like it could be the offspring of a Slysz Bowie and a Domino/Manix, taking its blade shape from the former and its ergos and general handle shape from the latter. Makes me want the Slysz Bowie that much more given your take on it and having handled the Foundry myself. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Just wondering if you received it, TheRealTwitch?
Therealtwitch

Post by Therealtwitch »

Yes sir it got here yesterday. I plan on taking pics on Monday and posting my review. I really like the knife. It has a much nicer build quality than I thought it would
Therealtwitch

Post by Therealtwitch »

Oh and studey thanks for adding the trainer. Every time I turn around my 4 year old is trying to play with it!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Great! I'm glad to hear that you like it.

Enjoy!
Therealtwitch

Post by Therealtwitch »

I'm really enjoying my time with this knife. It might have the best fit and finish of any us made spidie I have used. While I don't like how big the belly is on the knife I love how even the bevel is. Here are a few quick pics I snapped

That beautiful bevel

Great early lock up

Sittin in a can of woopass

Bayonet. Although I couldn't get it to mount right with the blade extending further than the barrel

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Cool pics...makes me wish more and more that us North of the 49th could have been included. Definitely looks like a knife I'd love, and I'll definitely be looking for a second hand version.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Great pics--nice job creating the bayonet! Thanks for sharing.

3rdGenRigger: Now that I have a duplicate, I am considering creating an international pass around. I know that at least a few others are interested, so when it comes back from this trip, we'll go from there. :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Great pics--nice job creating the bayonet! Thanks for sharing.

3rdGenRigger: Now that I have a duplicate, I am considering creating an international pass around. I know that at least a few others are interested, so when it comes back from this trip, we'll go from there. :)
And then after it's all worn out from all that travel, you should consider selling it...to me! :D

Where is she now? I can't get enough of these Foundry pics.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I believe that it is still with Therealtwitch, but I did PM him the shipping info a while back, so it could be in the mail or with aranaea.
Therealtwitch

Post by Therealtwitch »

Negative. I mailed it out last week Monday or Tuesday. I'll pm golden the tracking number after work. The next person on the list should have it already
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

PM received. It sounds as though the Foundry got turned around and (for one reason or another) is on its way back to Therealtwitch.

Araneae--can you confirm your address and that you are still alive? Thanks.