Got a counterfeit Dragonfly Salt 2 for my birthday.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Re: Got a counterfeit Dragonfly Salt 2 for my birthday.

Post by xceptnl »

zhyla wrote:It's possible the seller is legit but someone returned the fake in place of the real deal and they resold the fake without knowing it.
This is what I would suspect to be the likely explanation.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

rodloos wrote:That is disappointing. I have bought other Spyderco's from Amazon occasionally and had no problems, but it sounds like they slipped up.

I had thought about purchasing a Lion Spy from Amazon, lowest price I've seen it for, at $226.99, but I think I'll pass.
Haven't seen any lionspy counterfeit listed for sale yet, so you're safe ;)
tap78

Post by tap78 »

BE AWARE! There are many FAKE FRN Spyderco knives made in China (Endura Wave, Endura FFG ZDP, Dragonfly H1)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

xceptnl wrote:
zhyla wrote:It's possible the seller is legit but someone returned the fake in place of the real deal and they resold the fake without knowing it.
This is what I would suspect to be the likely explanation.
Absolutely. I posted my short story in another thread about going 0 for 2 trying to order a Sage 1 from Amazon. In both cases, I received USED knives. In one case, the clip was scratched and should not have been resold as new. The other had just obviously been opened and handled.

What this tells me is they do not have adequate QC on returned merchandise. It doesn't even matter if sealed packaging has a jagged, cut-open end. They just restock and it goes to the next lucky winner.

So they can be a totally legit buyer. But their effort to have hassle-free returns leaves a gaping hole for less savory characters to exploit.

I made a feeble attempt to get a response from them regarding their policy of selling used items as new. In dealing with Customer Service, this simply took them off-script and caused a new knife to show up at my door. Perhaps I (or we, or Spyderco) should elevate this a bit and get the attention of someone who can actually make a difference in how they deal with returns.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
djjinksy

Post by djjinksy »

I can see how counterfeit returned items could be an issue here and there, but in this particular instance, there are MULTIPLE people who have been duped by this sale. The OP got a bum knife, and so did I, along with several other commenters (on the amazon page). Clearly Amazon got a batch of fakes and they're still selling them as new, "real" product, and they obviously don't care to remove them from sale. I am a self admitted Amazon junkie, and this whole ordeal has me looking at my shopping habits from a new perspective.
-Steve
Embassy, Para2, Delica 4 SS, Dragonfly SS/ZDP/Superblue/H1, Native 5 G10, Manix 2 G10, Rescue 79, Swick3, Mule19
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They have a no questions asked return policy. Just return it, problem solved. I have no problem with companies who make mistakes. Even Spyderco does/has made mistakes. Customer service is the key factor here. As long as a company has good customer service it doesn't matter. I have had good luck with amazon's customer service.

They are a large company and with the volume and diversity of products they sell things are going to slip through the cracks. I doubt it is deliberate. Not pulling the product from the site yet must be another oversight.

One more point. Amazon is the walmart of online shopping. What are we expecting? Pay a couple more dollars and buy from a trusted and respected dealer and this won't happen. Bargain shop for the lowest price on a product that is being counterfeited and it might.

I think the issue here is more the anger and frustration that Spyderco is being wronged by these counter fitters and we are supporters and fans of spyderco.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

AFAIK, Amazon purchases directly from Spyderco. However, although I've been told by someone I normally consider to be a reliable source that Amazon segregates merchandise of their own from that of "fullfilled by Amazon" third party sellers, I've been told by someone I consider equally reliable that they co-mingle merchandise supplied to them by "fullfilled by Amazon" third party sellers with their own stuff. Given that it appears multiple people have received fake D'fly Salts from Amazon, I'm inclined to believe they're mixing stock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

"They buy directly from Spyderco" is not the same as "They buy exclusively from Spyderco". If they were short on stock for a particular model, they may have bought a batch elsewhere to cover the shortage and gotten a load of fakes.
Jeffmcmullen9807

Post by Jeffmcmullen9807 »

Son of a.....
I have one waiting for me that was delivered today. Looking at the pics I fear I may have been taken as well. Granted, mine is an ebay purchase (I know, I know). But still, what a bummer.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Man, counterfeiting really is insidious. Still, Amazon will likely correct any identified perpetuation of it if only to protect its reputation. Or, am I naive?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jeffmcmullen9807

Yep, either the worst QC in spydero hx or a fake. I'm betting fake.
Jeffmcmullen9807

Yeah, gotta be 3D printer or something. The FRN even feels sub par. After reading the thread I was worried that I wouldn't be able to sort if it was a fake or not since it's my 1st D-fly. No problems there. It's clearly fake...and a bad job of that.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I have bought three or four Spydies from Amazon and got all legit ones. Sounds to me like you should be up Amazon's a** about this.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

wrdwrght wrote:Man, counterfeiting really is insidious. Still, Amazon will likely correct any identified perpetuation of it if only to protect its reputation. Or, am I naive?
I don't know if you're naïve, but I'm pretty much 100% sure they will. Amazon is a great site/company in my experience.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

bearfacedkiller wrote:They have a no questions asked return policy. Just return it, problem solved. I have no problem with companies who make mistakes. Even Spyderco does/has made mistakes. Customer service is the key factor here. As long as a company has good customer service it doesn't matter. I have had good luck with amazon's customer service.

They are a large company and with the volume and diversity of products they sell things are going to slip through the cracks. I doubt it is deliberate. Not pulling the product from the site yet must be another oversight.

One more point. Amazon is the walmart of online shopping. What are we expecting? Pay a couple more dollars and buy from a trusted and respected dealer and this won't happen. Bargain shop for the lowest price on a product that is being counterfeited and it might.

I think the issue here is more the anger and frustration that Spyderco is being wronged by these counter fitters and we are supporters and fans of spyderco.
My OP had nothing to do with Amazon's return policy or how I should handle this. This was a heads up to the Spyderco community and Spyderco. Amazon has already issued a refund and I have 30 days to send it back. Spyderco has asked me to wait before I do so they can review the situation.
eagletalon

Post by eagletalon »

I purchased a Dragonfly H1 serrated edge from Amazon sometime late July, early Aug 2014. Mine appear to be legit. Feels right and I compared it to my SS Dragonfly. Sorry about your misfortune. Mine was sold and shipped from Amazon. Hope you get the real deal next time.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Screwdriver,

I believe Peter, Kristi or Kelly will be contacting you on the piece. Perhaps together we can sort out and eliminate the problem.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

How can I make sure a knife I order is the real, legitimate Spyderco, what are some good guidelines for myself and others, that is, aside from purchasing either directly from Spyderco, or, from trusted retailers who guarantee the knives they sell come direct from Spyderco?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I bought 2 Resiliences from Amazon and both were good.

Having said that, their CS has no idea how to handle things beyond scripted response, even when I told them to review my case carefully (this was about other merhandise). The way their CS responded is as if each interaction is new, and no one bothered to review the trail (can be done based on order number).

Just a feedback, so perhaps Sal & team can teach them what to do. Being big and handle many kinds of merhandise is no excuse for poor process & quality control.
Chris :spyder:
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The last 5 reviews on Amazon of the knife have noted that it is a fake, or is of really crappy quality. Screwdriver's review is also there. It looks like a handful of these have leaked out.

I expect that the next outlet will be E-bay if Amazon shuts down the fakes. It's disturbing and angering to see counterfitters permeate such a niche market, especially one that involves one of our beloved hobbies.

I wonder if Amazon would try and contact those who left negative reviews about the fakes, to try and remedy the situation? Would they even be set up to do this? It would be nice to see if it happened, but I would guess that it will be incumbent upon the customer to reach out to Amazon instead.