Nitrobe 77

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skidoosh

Nitrobe 77

Post by Skidoosh »

I've seen this steel come up in a few threads but not that many people seem to have experience with it. Sal any chance of something with this steel? 2mm stock and a small classic pen knife with a Spydie twist?
Cliff Stamp

Re: Nitrobe 77

Post by Cliff Stamp »

This steel isn't in production, it would not be trivial to get a significant amount of it.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

I am eager to try out some Vanax. Its another interesting nitrogen steel.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like the Des Horn Imvubu with this steel and wish Spyderco would make this knife
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

It is a great steel in my experience but alas, with the current market "high wear resistant steels are the best" perception I feel it is being overlooked.

If one goes with the higher tempering route it also requires a unique heat treat that makes it costly.

Have a look here:

http://damasteel.se/index.php/download_ ... w/160/131/" target="_blank

The higher tempering temperature requires three tempers with 4 deep freeze (liquid nitrogen). This is a costly exercise and I do not think one would be able to find this in a production setting, but if Spyderco goes that route I would smile from ear to ear.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Cliff,
A couple of questions,
What would a Crucible equivalent of this steel be? Is there any semi-equivelent still in production? It makes me all the more interested to find out what this stuff is like in a mule team model.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

In terms of general performance, AEB-L, 14C28N. However Nitrobe 77 has far higher corrosion resistance (similar hardness, strength, toughness, wear resistance, etc.). LC200N would be about the closest steel in production which is also a high nitrogen steel, just not to the same extent as Nitrobe 77 (which is also a PM product).
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

I have a Des Horn piece that I have yet to evaluate with this steel. Des speaks highly of the steel, and I respect Des he is an honest gentlemen. It expensive to process, heat treat. I really like what I've heard and my own experiment with Nitrogen steels excite me....Take Care...Ed