Any Used the Southfork for Big Game

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Re: Any Used the Southfork for Big Game

Post by Holland »

Someone made a thread a while back where he dressed two deer with two southforks sharpened at different grits. I'll try to find it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I know that Phil (Wilson) has used it extensively on Elk. I think big game is pretty much what he had in mind when he designed the southfork.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Holland wrote:Someone made a thread a while back where he dressed two deer with two southforks sharpened at different grits. I'll try to find it
That was a cow!

*edit* Or bull.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 4&p=808729" target="_blank
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Good find Donut!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
FDE

Post by FDE »

I bought a southfork with using it as my deer knife in mind. Tomorrow is the opener for archery here, so with any luck I'll have some hands on experience soon.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Southfork is about #1 on my "Gotta Have" list and I do plan on snagging one before Christmas. With S90V blade steel and a design that can accomodate just about any kind of outdoor cutting chore it might just be the best Hunter's fixed blade on the market in my humble opinion.

As much as I dearly adore my original Spyderco Temperance 1 model I would probably semi retire it if I get a Southfork soon. It's my #1 recommendation for anyone wanting a top notch hunting/outdoor knife. I also can't wait to see when Spyderco is going to go forth with the Phil Wilson fillet knife.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love a fillet knife but am even more excited about a bird and trout.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I used mine for deer. Took some video footage, too (one handed!)

Unsurprisingly it works well and the sheath is easy to clean. Personally, I prefer a drop-point for processing game; easier for work in the abdomen (catches less) and skinning.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Used mine this past weekend on 4 Antelope and couldn't be happier. The Southfork was used in all parts of breaking down the animals from gutting, lower leg removal, skinning, splitting the brisket and processing the carcass. The edge won't shave your face anymore but is more than sharp enough to process additional animals. I wanted the Southfork to get a real work out by other people in my hunting party so I regularly volunteered it for use and every time I got the knife back the user had a smile on their face. Next up is deer season followed closely by elk during which I hope to put the Southfork through further testing.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I'll let you know when I find Sasquach

JK they are likely endangered
Donut

Post by Donut »

Ferris Wheels wrote:I wanted the Southfork to get a real work out by other people in my hunting party so I regularly volunteered it for use and every time I got the knife back the user had a smile on their face.
You're a brave man!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

My father is archery hunting for moose right now in Ontario. I tried to get him to take the knife with him but he said he'd be too worried about something happening to it. I told him it would be ok and everything would be fine if something did happen but he still passed.

I really wanted him to use it and get some pics, oh well. I plan on using it next year for elk hunting besides deer this year.
FDE

Post by FDE »

Had some luck today with the bow. 1 doe in the freezer.
I have to say the Southfork worked well for skinning and quartering. Perhaps not the best blade shape for the job but the edge retention and ergos were excellent.
I have one minor gripe with the handle; it does get quite slippery when you have fat and blood on your hands.
All in all if someone wanted to try one for processing large game I certainly wouldn't discourage it.