Why Not a Spyderedged Recurve?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Why Not a Spyderedged Recurve?

Post by JD Spydo »

mikerestivo wrote:
Evil D wrote:Don't know but I'd be interested. Bring back a fully serrated Captain.
When you say "bring back", does that mean that there was a fully serrated Captain? I don't recall there being one. If there was, we need some pics!
NO!! Unfortunately there never was a Spyderco model C-111 Captain ever offered in full Spyderedge ( serrated) :mad: They were only available in plain edge when they were in main line up. There are a few of us who think it was extremely unjust to have such a unique model like the Captain and not offer it in Spyderedge :confused: Because in my opinion it would be like a super Hawkbill if offered in full Spyderedge and I think there are quite a few guys who agree with me on that one :cool:

Because from what I heard the original Jason Breeden prototype was serrated in the arch area of the blade of the Captain model. Also that Captain model would be a mariner's dream if you could get it in full Spyderedge ( especially in the arch area)>> because I could live with the pendulum tip/end of the blade in PE >> because actually it would also be useful.

I think the point that Evil D was trying to make is that there are Spyderco models that would be great and much more useful in Spyderedge and the Captain model is certainly one of them along with the Superhawk model IMO.
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

For posterity, here's a picture of a Captain that was serrated along the inner curve by Wiley Knives (I think).

Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

There are lots of people who will serrate knives aftermarket, the cost is relatively inexpensive. Though no harm in asking Spyderco to offer what you want, just keep in mind if you are in a minority unless you plan on buying a lot of them it might not be financially viable for the company to do so.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I use and enjoy my small SEs: the awesome Lime Green Jester and the amazing Yellow LadyBug Hawkbill, and both of them are regulars in my EDC Blade Combo rotation. :)

But aside that, I just have a Matriarch 2 and a SE Police, both of them carried only when my duty requires me to visit some very unpleasant places.

I do like the recurve SE idea, but I also can't see any advantage of that over any good edge retention PE blade. :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mikerestivo wrote:
Evil D wrote:Don't know but I'd be interested. Bring back a fully serrated Captain.
When you say "bring back", does that mean that there was a fully serrated Captain? I don't recall there being one. If there was, we need some pics!
No sorry didn't mean to get your hopes up. There are however pics of a custom serrated version out there, and while the serrations weren't the cleanest, the idea definitely has potential.

I think I'd probably be more interested in a SE Ulize to be honest. All the way to the tip.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There is a lack of fully serrated knives on the market in general. Spyderco certainly is more gutsy to teeth-up an entire blade than most brands.

Seemingly they have just gone to traditional blades (drop points, leaf points, etc) or more aggressive specialized shapes (hawkbill, reverse s). One due to tradition and the other due to function. Recurve serrated knives are, IMHO, a niche within a niche. A more exotic version of the drop-point without the benefit of the tip orientation of the curvier cousins.

I guess if people want the chore of sharpening a serrated knife they want either ease or performance rather than a hybrid.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:There is a lack of fully serrated knives on the market in general. Spyderco certainly is more gutsy to teeth-up an entire blade than most brands.

Seemingly they have just gone to traditional blades (drop points, leaf points, etc) or more aggressive specialized shapes (hawkbill, reverse s). One due to tradition and the other due to function. Recurve serrated knives are, IMHO, a niche within a niche. A more exotic version of the drop-point without the benefit of the tip orientation of the curvier cousins.

I guess if people want the chore of sharpening a serrated knife they want either ease or performance rather than a hybrid.
Well BLERV that's an interesting take on the subject of a "Serrated Recurve" to be sure. But to me I must look past the perception of a serrated recurve blade being "too specialized" because I put the idea up for discussion only because I know in my gut that a Spyderedged Recurve would truly be a super performer. Yeah it's fair to say that it might only appeal to a small sector of the market>> But like Hawkbill blades I do think that once people would actually use one the knife would sell itself easily.

If anyone could market such a creature and make a success of it then Spyderco would be the one company that could pull it off. They've always had the guts to market items that no one else would touch with a 50 ft pole>> which is one of the main reasons I got to liking Spyderco in the first place.

Oh by the way I sure enjoyed that photo of the serrated Captain model. I have seen the photo before and I do hope that it will someday be either a Sprint Run or maybe the Captain might make a Comeback in SE & PE both. If I had a serrated CAptain I might just semi retire my EDC Hawkbill>>Well at least for a little while anyway :rolleyes: :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I owned an Emerson mini 15 at one time. It was a tanto tip, on a recurve blade, with serrations. The serrations in the curve was a hard use demon and rope and zip ties were butter for this set up. They seem to sell a bunch of the Commanders in CE as well. Was not a Spyderco though...

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Emerson-Mi ... nto--18533" target="_blank
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would love to see Spyderco give it a chance JD :). They specialized in different blades for different folks. Hehe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:I would love to see Spyderco give it a chance JD :). They specialized in different blades for different folks. Hehe
Yeah I agree and again I think that ULIZE would be the perfect model to try to market as a Spyderedged Recurve for many reasons. The size and length of the blade would be ideal for sure. Now for overall uses and if I had my say-so entirely and in a perfect world I think that the SPYKER model in full SE would be a savage beast of a cutter with an agressive Spyderedged pattern.

With the recurve blade being at a cutting angle no matter which way you use it I think people would find them to be a better blade for the Spyderedge. For rough house work that would be one very aggressive cutter

Maybe this would be something to consider for the H-1 Salt Series. Because it sure seems like they market a lot of different types of blades there and H-1 Steel seems to be great for Spyderedged blades all the way around. I don't think this idea is dead by any means. It's probably going to take a while for it to sink in but once someone would actually use one I think it would take off in a hurry.
Bugout Bill

Post by Bugout Bill »

I don't quite see how "super steels" are replacing the utility of SE blades. SE offer more than edge retention, their aggressiveness in cutting is really their primary advantage.
" Two guns, flashlight, two 12-gauge cartridges, and a knife because—just because—every little boy should have a knife.." -- Louis Awerbuck on his EDC
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bugout Bill wrote:I don't quite see how "super steels" are replacing the utility of SE blades. SE offer more than edge retention, their aggressiveness in cutting is really their primary advantage.
That's why I want to see a Spyderedged Recurve be put in production. It still blows me away that they discovered that H-1 steel makes a great blade steel for serrations>> but the plain edged H-1 blades seem to need sharpening more often.

And with a recurve blade with a Spyderedge I just know that would be one very aggressive cutter. People that work with material handling, warehousemen and people that work in heavy industries would find a Spyderedged Recurve to be a super handy blade. I have no doubt at all.